Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Either color on stretch SD. Just no blue, anywhere.
    Those seem like they'd be unique looks. I have a considerable pro-SD logo bias though

Comment

I was thinking this morning about expectations for the season. There had been some talk about whether a seed or quarters or semis etc. would be the measurement for a good season. I still hold that 8-3 or higher, with the outside shot at a seed, is a good mark for this team. However, I think it's also time for SDSU to not have a playoff exit that's an embarassing loss. Since 09, we have had a close loss in Fargo in the playoffs, and a come from behind close loss in Missoula when we didn't show up in the first half. In 2009, the game that won't be mentioned happened, 2012 was a blowout loss to NDSU, 2013 was a good game with EWU, but ended in a blowout. 2014 was a close, devastating loss to NDSU. 15 was a disappointing performance in Missoula that ended up being close. 2016 was a blowout loss, and 17 was perhaps the strangest college game I've ever watched.

Point being, I think it might be just as important for the program to be able to avoid such a loud exit from the playoffs each year as it is to make it to the next round. I wouldn't have felt good about losing to JMU in the semis last year at all, no matter the score. But the way in which it happened, or the way most of the other playoff losses this decade have happened, can't be good from a program psyche point.

Maybe in each of those games, the stage was too big. If so, it'll be a self correcting problem as we gain more experience in late rounds of the playoffs. Maybe the team has a tendency to get their sights set a little farther ahead than they should. That is also corrected by lessons such as JMU. I'm not sure, but it's a trend I don't like to see.

I'm just hopefully that this year, we can avoid a dumpster fire exit from the playoffs. And preferably, no exit at all.

Just some Saturday morning thoughts.
      Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 08-18-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        I was thinking this morning about expectations for the season. There had been some talk about whether a seed or quarters or semis etc. would be the measurement for a good season. I still hold that 8-3 or higher, with the outside shot at a seed, is a good mark for this team. However, I think it's also time for SDSU to not have a playoff exit that's an embarassing loss. Since 09, we have had a close loss in Fargo in the playoffs, and a come from behind close loss in Missoula when we didn't show up in the first half. In 2009, the game that won't be mentioned happened, 2012 was a blowout loss to NDSU, 2013 was a good game with EWU, but ended in a blowout. 2014 was a close, devastating loss to NDSU. 15 was a disappointing performance in Missoula that ended up being close. 2016 was a blowout loss, and 17 was perhaps the strangest college game I've ever watched.

Point being, I think it might be just as important for the program to be able to avoid such a loud exit from the playoffs each year as it is to make it to the next round. I wouldn't have felt good about losing to JMU in the semis last year at all, no matter the score. But the way in which it happened, or the way most of the other playoff losses this decade have happened, can't be good from a program psyche point.

Maybe in each of those games, the stage was too big. If so, it'll be a self correcting problem as we gain more experience in late rounds of the playoffs. Maybe the team has a tendency to get their sights set a little farther ahead than they should. That is also corrected by lessons such as JMU. I'm not sure, but it's a trend I don't like to see.

I'm just hopefully that this year, we can avoid a dumpster fire exit from the playoffs. And preferably, no exit at all.

Just some Saturday morning thoughts.
        How would you characterize the level of influence of the disparity in the number of FBS transfers between Jacks' and opponents' rosters at skill positions?

While, the Jacks have had players like Blum and Hazelett who were FBS transfers, Blum was a TE with Huskers, and Hazelett played more of a reserve role at Northern Illinois.

Not trying to assert that the disparity was determining factor, but I'm stoked for the start of the season and was curious about your perspective. Plus, I think that transfers can sometimes serve as a proxy measure of student-athletes' assessments of both how competitive teams are and their likelihood of getting playing time.

Comment

Here are my defensive breakout candidates for this season: http://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspo...-to-watch.html

This defense is deep and SHOULD be the best we have seen from the Jacks in a number of years. Time will tell.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            Here are my defensive breakout candidates for this season: http://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspo...-to-watch.html

This defense is deep and SHOULD be the best we have seen from the Jacks in a number of years. Time will tell.
            Agree w/ you analysis. I would add one more name to your list. Makiah Slade could be that breakout player. He's improved his ability to stop the run and tackle in space. His coverage skills are very very good. Safety tandem could be the best we've had in years.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
              Agree w/ you analysis. I would add one more name to your list. Makiah Slade could be that breakout player. He's improved his ability to stop the run and tackle in space. His coverage skills are very very good. Safety tandem could be the best we've had in years.
              I agree. I shouldn't have missed him yesterday. Thank you for pointing Makiah out.

Comment

Offensive breakout players. http://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspo...-watch_23.html

The biggest thing from this is that Eddie won the right guard battle and Blake Kunz will be the first freshmen to play this season. The coaches plan to give him some run in the first four games and see if he will play all season or not.

Comment

I would not play a true freshmen in three of the first four games (Iowa St, NDSU and Arkansas PB) and potentially burn up the four games allowed before eligibility year is lost. Injuries is another story to play them early. Let them practice more and use later if necessary and maybe not burn the year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                    I would not play a true freshmen in three of the first four games (Iowa St, NDSU and Arkansas PB) and potentially burn up the four games allowed before eligibility year is lost. Injuries is another story to play them early. Let them practice more and use later if necessary and maybe not burn the year of eligibility.
                    I would play a true freshman the first game, second game or what ever game it was if he was my best chance to win. If you refuse to do this you are playing for next year and next year may never come.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                      Pine Bluff is probably the best game on the schedule to get freshmen some time. Should be a blowout.

Comment

When do we expect a two deep to be released? Are we going to have to wait until the game notes next week for Iowa State? Any predictions? WestSide, I assume you have a two deep scratched out based upon what you've seen in practices.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It looks and sounds like the defense is especially deep and good. It that's true - if the Jacks can finally stop third and long - this could be a great season. There seems to be a lot of talent on offense, too. The main question on offense appears to be the ability of a group of big, talented linemen to play together. I wouldn't bet against them.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            When do we expect a two deep to be released? Are we going to have to wait until the game notes next week for Iowa State? Any predictions? WestSide, I assume you have a two deep scratched out based upon what you've seen in practices.
                            QB: TC, Nelson
                            RB: Mikey, Wallace
                            FB: Sellers, Blasius
                            TE: Hart, Cavanaugh
                            LT: Greeneway, Gruetzmacher
                            LG: Tiano, McCormick or Busch
                            C: Genant, Domandle
                            RG: Miller, Lickiss (Eagen will be top back-up at both guard spots)
                            RT: Weir, Aron Johnson
                            WR1: Jacob Brown, Hill
                            WR2: Anderson, Wilde
                            WR3: Cade Johnson, Lewis and Campbell

DE: Earith, Tolu
                            DT: Krolikowski, Hildahl
                            DT: Ward, Stacker, and Sanders
                            DE: Smenda, Elijah Wilson, and Winkelman
                            OLB: Seven Wilson or Backhaus, Levi Brown
                            MLB: Rozeboom, Tetzlaff or Cox
                            OLB: Cox, Kleinschmit
                            CB: Jordan Brown, Gardner
                            CB: Harris, Mosley or Lofton
                            S: Brandon Snyder, Zo Williams
                            S: Slade, Romenesko or DeMartra
                            Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 08-24-2018, 01:51 PM. Reason: Forgot the Center position in original post.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              QB: TC, Nelson
                              RB: Mikey, Wallace
                              FB: Sellers, Blasius
                              TE: Hart, Cavanaugh
                              LT: Greeneway, Gruetzmacher
                              LG: Tiano, McCormick or Busch
                              RG: Miller, Lickiss (Eagen will be top back-up at both guard spots)
                              RT: Weir, Aron Johnson
                              WR1: Jacob Brown, Hill
                              WR2: Anderson, Wilde
                              WR3: Cade Johnson, Lewis and Campbell

DE: Earith, Tolu
                              DT: Krolikowski, Hildahl
                              DT: Ward, Stacker, and Sanders
                              DE: Smenda, Elijah Wilson, and Winkelman
                              OLB: Seven Wilson or Backhaus, Levi Brown
                              MLB: Rozeboom, Tetzlaff or Cox
                              OLB: Cox, Kleinschmit
                              CB: Jordan Brown, Gardner
                              CB: Harris, Mosley or Lofton
                              S: Brandon Snyder, Zo Williams
                              S: Slade, Romenesko or DeMartra
                              Genant at Center?

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post
                                Genant at Center?
                                Yep. Sorry. Genant, Domandle

Comment

Working...
                                X