Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Which is completely frustrating. If you're going to break, which we have done on far too many 3rd and longs, I would much rather have it be due to an aggressive call instead of sitting back and letting what is usually an average quarterback sit comfortably in the pocket until one of his receivers breaks free for a first down. I blame the lack of sacks and poor rush defense on play calling/scheme. There are some teams that you can't afford to take chances on defense against, I get that. But I would like to see much more aggressive play calls in terms of more blitzes and more press coverage. It's so painful to see our DBs playing 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 7, basically giving up a 5 yd pass and hoping they can make the tackle before the first down marker. Good defensive teams get off the field on 3rd and long by forcing a rushed decision by the QB and an incompletion. More often than not our defense is getting off the field by giving up an easy completion and making a good tackle and barely preventing them from getting a 1st down.

Rant over.

But seriously. Let's see some blitzing this year.
    I know I've said it before and most of you don't believe me but the scheme won't change as long as Stig is the head coach. He doesn't believe in blitzing. He prefers to "do your job and make the play in front of you." He believes if everyone does that then there won't be big plays. I know that Coach Brown would prefer to blitz more and I also know its fashionable to bash him for the defensive passiveness. But I don't think that's fair as Stig has his thumb on the defensive scheme.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      I know I've said it before and most of you don't believe me but the scheme won't change as long as Stig is the head coach. He doesn't believe in blitzing. He prefers to "do your job and make the play in front of you." He believes if everyone does that then there won't be big plays. I know that Coach Brown would prefer to blitz more and I also know its fashionable to bash him for the defensive passiveness. But I don't think that's fair as Stig has his thumb on the defensive scheme.
      That's a fair observation, and one that I had not considered. Either way, that philosophy doesn't seem to be working as well as the staff would hope.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        I completely realize that, but it's definitely not going to stop me from ranting about it occasionally. I'll try to be cognizant about not blaming Brown for that aspect too much.

Honestly though, I would think that coach Brown and others would be able to show enough examples on film of how that just isn't going to cut it and we need to change. It is such a handicap for our defense.

Comment

I completely realize that, but it's definitely not going to stop me from ranting about it occasionally. I'll try to be cognizant about not blaming Brown for that aspect too much.

Honestly though, I would think that coach Brown and others would be able to show enough examples on film of how that just isn't going to cut it and we need to change. It is such a handicap for our defense.
          When you have a core of solid linebackers and safeties you have quality guys and speed to make those plays. Currently we aren't using all their talents and abilities.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

WestSideRabbit hit the nail on the head, Stig. Stig is a defensive coach with very little aggressiveness in his style thus the SDSU defense. The philosophy of “making the play in front of you” is great as long as the defense moves up to the LOS and secondary moves up to stop 3rd down and 4th down conversions. It’s time to make plays short of the first down marker on key 3rd plays. Other teams play the same style of defense but don’t play off the ball or so deep and it works. The offense scoring average has gave the defense a pass on many games so the Jacks offense need to average over 27 points per game again this year

Comment

I see no one remembers the vast improvements in the defense towards the end of the year. Including the defense that had to defend against 5 turnovers in one quarter at JMU to start the game.

I’m not saying they’re going to be top of the Valley but the pass rush was really coming around towards the end of the year I thought. Outside of some concern about our DTs I really am not overly worried about the defense stepping up and I really really don’t get the doom and gloom about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                I see no one remembers the vast improvements in the defense towards the end of the year. Including the defense that had to defend against 5 turnovers in one quarter at JMU to start the game.

I’m not saying they’re going to be top of the Valley but the pass rush was really coming around towards the end of the year I thought. Outside of some concern about our DTs I really am not overly worried about the defense stepping up and I really really don’t get the doom and gloom about it.

I think we'll still have a solid defense. I just like to complain about the style/scheme we play that leads to too many 3rd and long conversions.

Comment

I think we'll still have a solid defense. I just like to complain about the style/scheme we play that leads to too many 3rd and long conversions.
                  I’m not a huge fan of our style either. We need to be more aggressive in my opinion, but it is what it is.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I’m not a huge fan of our style either. We need to be more aggressive in my opinion, but it is what it is.

I joked one time on a 3rd and 14 we'd be better off with a shallow punt return formation on the field. Sometimes I don't think it could be worse. Especially when you give up a 3rd and long anyway. It seems the longer the distance the more achievable it is for the opposition. 3rd and 3 good chance of shutting it down...3rd and 13 far less likely. Not sure if there is a stat to corroborate that wisdom but perception is there.

Comment

The D definitely did improve as the year went on, including the pass rush. My comment centers around the fact that the DL has consistently been a "question mark" for us for several years now, and that that's a problem. It seems that it's a question mark for us again this season. Maybe it'll be again good answer come fall, but who knows?

And our D, though improved, still had a hell of a time giving up 3rd and longs. As noted, that's less about the skill of the D than the conservative schemes we use.

Comment

I think that part of the issue with being aggressive in the past was that it could expose the youth that we had in the secondary. As much as it frustrated me, I knew that teams would have a hard time sustaining drives in the long run.

IMO, this team has to be more aggressive with blitzing since they really don't have any proven talent on the line. Our strength this year will be the LBs and DBs.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          I think that part of the issue with being aggressive in the past was that it could expose the youth that we had in the secondary. As much as it frustrated me, I knew that teams would have a hard time sustaining drives in the long run.

IMO, this team has to be more aggressive with blitzing since they really don't have any proven talent on the line. Our strength this year will be the LBs and DBs.
                          Ryan Earith is being talked about as a potential all-conference DE, and looking back at his stats from last season it's hard to argue that he isn't a proven talent. Hildahl also started 13 games and held his own, considering he didn't have much experience going in.

Comment

Jacks check in at #3 in the Stats preseason poll. Of note, WIU and USD didn't crack the top 25, and are in the ORV category. Not sure I agree with that assessment for either program, but I guess we'll find out. 5 Valley teams in the top 25 to start the year.

Comment

If we end up living up to #3 in the country expectations, I will be surprised and pleased. Seems like more of a top 20ish kind of team to me.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                If we end up living up to #3 in the country expectations, I will be surprised and pleased. Seems like more of a top 20ish kind of team to me.
                                I agree. I think anywhere from 7-15 would be more reasonable. With that being said, there's not a lot of teams in the preseason top 20 that impress me much. FCS has gotten very top heavy, and after the top 2, there's probably just as strong of an argument to make for putting the Jacks in the top 5 as there is to place them lower.

Comment

Working...
                                X