Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Training Camp

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like our retention of recruits is subpar. I know all schools lose players in the off season, but I've noticed that we seem to lose more than our fair share over the last 8 years. It also seems like many of the players we've lost over the last 5 years are our Nebraska recruits, specifically out of the Omaha metro. Maybe I'm off base though.
    Meh, I think it’s part of every program. College football is hard and some players can adjust to the grind while others choose to do something else. If you’re addressing Monte in this statement, he wanted to play but was buried on the depth chart.

What does stand out to me is the number of Nebraska recruits who physically break down. Schoff, Workman, Urbanek, and Harms are just four names that jump out to me. Probably just coincidence but those four were all highly regarded in their class.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      Maybe it's just me, but it seems like our retention of recruits is subpar. I know all schools lose players in the off season, but I've noticed that we seem to lose more than our fair share over the last 8 years. It also seems like many of the players we've lost over the last 5 years are our Nebraska recruits, specifically out of the Omaha metro. Maybe I'm off base though.
      I am not surprised, in the 1990's we had few or none from Omaha, or even Nebraska. In the Osborne era, we could not recruit anyone from Nebraska because of their successful walk-on program. Arizona?? some place out west. I think we have made big progress since the 20th centrury ended. You might be on to something. It's no doubt an adaption problem for these young kids. I dont have any answers.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Meh, I think it’s part of every program. College football is hard and some players can adjust to the grind while others choose to do something else. If you’re addressing Monte in this statement, he wanted to play but was buried on the depth chart.

What does stand out to me is the number of Nebraska recruits who physically break down. Schoff, Workman, Urbanek, and Harms are just four names that jump out to me. Probably just coincidence but those four were all highly regarded in their class.
        Shoff may fit the mold of what you are talking about as he is a big man and his competitiveness in all of his high school sports probably put extra stress on his body. He was the Lincoln Journal Star male athlete of the year for Nebraska in 2012. While football was the sport that landed him the most scholarship offers, he excelled in everything. He won his first state championship as a wrestler during his sophomore season. He also was the all-class gold medal winner in the shot put his senior year. All of that twisting, leverage and force on those joints can be tough on anyone. With very little down time to recuperate between seasons, it may have affected his long term health for competitive sports. Ironically, it was playing pickup basketball that tore his ACL for the first time in high school.

Urbanek's concussion issues may be more related to how he played and lived life. This young man was just wired to hit and react. It's what made him a special player and what Stig refers to as a difference maker. Watching him play in high school, he just wanted to force his will on others when ever he stepped on the field. I remember seeing multiple hits where his helmet often made contact with opponents. As a high school official, some of the hits he made would be tough to call penalties on as his reaction time to plays was unbelievably quick and the contact just happened. (He wasn't leading with his helmet to make contact, he just reacted so quickly to plays that partial contact with his helmet just happened.) At other times, he was fortunate to not get called. Listening to Jackrabbit games last year, I think I can remember two occasions where Tyler Merriam would comment on the helmet contact that occurred in tackles made by Urbanek. When I talked with high school teammates about him sitting out the spring game because of a possible concussion, they said right away that he was done. They just knew that he had a history of violent contact that ultimately contributed to his career coming to an end. Too bad, as I believe he was going to be a difference maker for the next three years for SDSU. Urbanek was different than Shoff in that he was dedicated to football in high school and committed to that sport only either his sophomore or junior year. I don't think it was the reps as much his style of play.

I only officiated one of Jake Harms' games in high school and he would have been a freshman or sophomore at the time. Never saw Jess Workman play, but he had a ton of contact in high school. With over 200 tackles and 4,000 yards rushing, he had more than his shares of collisions in his prep career. Both of these young men played major roles on big time football powerhouses in Class B football. (Nebraska's second largest school classification.) Their injuries could have been contributed by the number of hits in high school, or like Urbanek, it could be how they were wired that made them so special and possibly shortened their careers.

I would not classify Nebraska players differently than I would many of the other outstanding talent the coaches have landed from the Midwest. Unfortunately, all four of these young men had promising careers cut short and that loss was just easy to see.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          Shoff may fit the mold of what you are talking about as he is a big man and his competitiveness in all of his high school sports probably put extra stress on his body. He was the Lincoln Journal Star male athlete of the year for Nebraska in 2012. While football was the sport that landed him the most scholarship offers, he excelled in everything. He won his first state championship as a wrestler during his sophomore season. He also was the all-class gold medal winner in the shot put his senior year. All of that twisting, leverage and force on those joints can be tough on anyone. With very little down time to recuperate between seasons, it may have affected his long term health for competitive sports. Ironically, it was playing pickup basketball that tore his ACL for the first time in high school.

Urbanek's concussion issues may be more related to how he played and lived life. This young man was just wired to hit and react. It's what made him a special player and what Stig refers to as a difference maker. Watching him play in high school, he just wanted to force his will on others when ever he stepped on the field. I remember seeing multiple hits where his helmet often made contact with opponents. As a high school official, some of the hits he made would be tough to call penalties on as his reaction time to plays was unbelievably quick and the contact just happened. (He wasn't leading with his helmet to make contact, he just reacted so quickly to plays that partial contact with his helmet just happened.) At other times, he was fortunate to not get called. Listening to Jackrabbit games last year, I think I can remember two occasions where Tyler Merriam would comment on the helmet contact that occurred in tackles made by Urbanek. When I talked with high school teammates about him sitting out the spring game because of a possible concussion, they said right away that he was done. They just knew that he had a history of violent contact that ultimately contributed to his career coming to an end. Too bad, as I believe he was going to be a difference maker for the next three years for SDSU. Urbanek was different than Shoff in that he was dedicated to football in high school and committed to that sport only either his sophomore or junior year. I don't think it was the reps as much his style of play.

I only officiated one of Jake Harms' games in high school and he would have been a freshman or sophomore at the time. Never saw Jess Workman play, but he had a ton of contact in high school. With over 200 tackles and 4,000 yards rushing, he had more than his shares of collisions in his prep career. Both of these young men played major roles on big time football powerhouses in Class B football. (Nebraska's second largest school classification.) Their injuries could have been contributed by the number of hits in high school, or like Urbanek, it could be how they were wired that made them so special and possibly shortened their careers.

I would not classify Nebraska players differently than I would many of the other outstanding talent the coaches have landed from the Midwest. Unfortunately, all four of these young men had promising careers cut short and that loss was just easy to see.
          Must spread rep. Thanks for the perspective and history.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

The Culvers burger challenge was held last night and Caleb Sanders DT from IA with the win in record time...I think 5 burgers in just a hair over 2 min.

https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              The Culvers burger challenge was held last night and Caleb Sanders DT from IA with the win in record time...I think 5 burgers in just a hair over 2 min.

https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
              Is his look alike Seth Rogan?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Is his look alike Seth Rogan?
                I was thinking Drew Carey but maybe it's the glasses.

Comment

If Seth Rogen and drew Carey had a kid?

I think I would puke eating that much that quick. Maybe 2 in 2 minutes.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    I was thinking Drew Carey but maybe it's the glasses.
                    Yes, mostly Drew Carey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      Yes, mostly Drew Carey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X