Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressional House Bill aimed at Hobo Day

https://mobile.twitter.com/PoliCrum/...34336670347264

I'm not sure if the link worked, but does anyone have any information about this? I can't find a full copy of the bill to read online.

Edit: I'll leave my personal commentary on the matter out of this post, but I'm guessing am overwhelming majority of SDSU students, alums, and fans feel the same way, and I hope this bill dies a quick and clean death in the house, if it ever makes it to the floor.
    Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM.

Re: Congressional House Bill aimed at Hobo Day

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PoliCrum/...34336670347264

I'm not sure if the link worked, but does anyone have any information about this? I can't find a full copy of the bill to read online.

Edit: I'll leave my personal commentary on the matter out of this post, but I'm guessing am overwhelming majority of SDSU students, alums, and fans feel the same way, and I hope this bill dies a quick and clean death in the house, if it ever makes it to the floor.
    I am surprised that a Congressman from South Carolina knows that South Dakota exists. I too, am surprised that fed funds were used for Hobo Day. Or is what we are just now finding out.

Comment

I believe it's associated with a couple of programs the library has started to put on in the last few years, including features on the historic songs and photos of hobo day, etc. I could be way off on that, but the stuff that is presented on the weelend through the library is my best guess at where the federal funds have been received or requested. Stuff that would normally be very good content for NEA grant money. I don't believe the university, the hobo day committee, or alumni association receives any sort of federal funds related to promoting hobo day. But Briggs and the wonderful people at the Daschle archives may have been securing funding to help showcase and highlight historic element's of hobo day with NEA funds. And that would be a shame to see that dry up. Anyone who has the ear of our representatives needs to make sure they are prepared to fight this bill.

On two levels, this is a terrible precedent. 1) It's the classic misinformation about Hobo/homeless that people are too caught up in, and 2) It's federal funds being denied for an education event for a culturally significant event in the state. We should be promoting the arts and history in ways that are relevant to the population, and this is a great event to showcase some of the rich and unique history of Hobo Day in South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        I believe it's associated with a couple of programs the library has started to put on in the last few years, including features on the historic songs and photos of hobo day, etc. I could be way off on that, but the stuff that is presented on the weelend through the library is my best guess at where the federal funds have been received or requested. Stuff that would normally be very good content for NEA grant money. I don't believe the university, the hobo day committee, or alumni association receives any sort of federal funds related to promoting hobo day. But Briggs and the wonderful people at the Daschle archives may have been securing funding to help showcase and highlight historic element's of hobo day with NEA funds. And that would be a shame to see that dry up. Anyone who has the ear of our representatives needs to make sure they are prepared to fight this bill.

On two levels, this is a terrible precedent. 1) It's the classic misinformation about Hobo/homeless that people are too caught up in, and 2) It's federal funds being denied for an education event for a culturally significant event in the state. We should be promoting the arts and history in ways that are relevant to the population, and this is a great event to showcase some of the rich and unique history of Hobo Day in South Dakota.
        Further information re. SDSU Archives' use of the NEA's Common Heritage grant can be found here

Comment

Working...
        X