Jake Wieneke in the Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake Wieneke - Vikings Hopeful

The Pioneer Press thinks Jake has a "good chance of landing on the practice squad" as they stated in this article with some quotes from Wieneke. Catching a TD and making that game winning 2 point play was the type of thing he needed to happen to have a good chance at making the practice squad. He has risen above guys like Robertson and Badet, although I think he's slightly behind Beebe. It's hard to tell where he stands in comparison to Wright, Coley, King, Zylstra, and Jones, as those guys have been injured for most of the preseason. Just the fact that he's healthy is a big thing for Jake's prospects of making the practice squad. Someone mentioned Wright getting a for sure spot on the 53... I don't think that's a lock by any means. I actually think that the 5 WRs on the 53 will be Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Zylstra, and Beebe. I also think that Wieneke will make the practice squad. I think Coley, King, Wright, Robertson, and Badet are gone. Jones might come back from the suspension and replace Beebe on the 53, and I would expect Beebe to join the practice squad.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/2...-with-vikings/

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      The Pioneer Press thinks Jake has a "good chance of landing on the practice squad" as they stated in this article with some quotes from Wieneke. Catching a TD and making that game winning 2 point play was the type of thing he needed to happen to have a good chance at making the practice squad. He has risen above guys like Robertson and Badet, although I think he's slightly behind Beebe. It's hard to tell where he stands in comparison to Wright, Coley, King, Zylstra, and Jones, as those guys have been injured for most of the preseason. Just the fact that he's healthy is a big thing for Jake's prospects of making the practice squad. Someone mentioned Wright getting a for sure spot on the 53... I don't think that's a lock by any means. I actually think that the 5 WRs on the 53 will be Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Zylstra, and Beebe. I also think that Wieneke will make the practice squad. I think Coley, King, Wright, Robertson, and Badet are gone. Jones might come back from the suspension and replace Beebe on the 53, and I would expect Beebe to join the practice squad.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/2...-with-vikings/
      A player has to clear waivers before they can be placed on the practice squad. The question will be if a team who may be short at the WR position would put a claim in for Jake. Coley and Zylstra have been hurt, and Jones is suspended for the first part of the regular season. So it is anybody's guess what the Vikes will do at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        A player has to clear waivers before they can be placed on the practice squad. The question will be if a team who may be short at the WR position would put a claim in for Jake. Coley and Zylstra have been hurt, and Jones is suspended for the first part of the regular season. So it is anybody's guess what the Vikes will do at that position.
        Right, I just have a hard time seeing another team put in a waiver for him. Unless he really shows out in the 4th preseason game, he probably hasn't caught the eye of any teams looking for WR depth.

Comment

14:30 mark. Ben Leber thinks he is a lock for practice squad.
          https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...r-and-weineke/

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            14:30 mark. Ben Leber thinks he is a lock for practice squad.
            https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...r-and-weineke/
            That's definitely good news. Leber was one of the commentators during the TCU game in '16, so he's seen that Jake can perform against high-quality opposition. Plus, he's from SD, so he might have local connections who have shared additional information about Jake's work, on and off field

Comment

Treadwell is a bust. It's time for the Vikings to admit that, let him go and open up a roster spot for someone potentially more productive.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Also, I believe this is the rule (they've changed the PS rules the past couple years)

If he's on the practice squad, I think he can still be poached? Like someone can put a claim on him, and the Vikings would have to add him to active roster to prevent it.

I'm not a Vikings fan, but I'm a huge Jake fan. Wishing for the best for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  Treadwell is a bust. It's time for the Vikings to admit that, let him go and open up a roster spot for someone potentially more productive.
                  Meh, you've got to give it one more season. He was open a lot last year, but Keenum just couldn't work through progressions. I think Cousins will get him involved and he will be productive. If he fails this year there's no excuse. In reality it's only his 3rd year. A lot of receivers take time to adjust to the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    Also, I believe this is the rule (they've changed the PS rules the past couple years)

If he's on the practice squad, I think he can still be poached? Like someone can put a claim on him, and the Vikings would have to add him to active roster to prevent it.

I'm not a Vikings fan, but I'm a huge Jake fan. Wishing for the best for him.
                    Once he is on a team's practice squad, another team can sign him, but they would have to put him on their 53 man active roster for a minimum of 3 weeks. If anything, he'll get snatched in the initial waiver period and put on another team's practice squad. Unless he really shows out on Thursday, I think the Vikes will be able to get him on their practice squad if they want.

Comment

Maybe not even more productive, but certainly cheaper. If they can expect similar production out of Wieneke, they'd save over $2M in cap space by swapping out Treadwell.

Only potential weakness I see is Wieneke's lack of special teams ability. He's not a burner, and I'm not sure what he brings to the team for special teams.

Link for Vikings cap numbers: https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Maybe not even more productive, but certainly cheaper. If they can expect similar production out of Wieneke, they'd save over $2M in cap space by swapping out Treadwell.

Only potential weakness I see is Wieneke's lack of special teams ability. He's not a burner, and I'm not sure what he brings to the team for special teams.

Link for Vikings cap numbers: https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/
                        It's pretty hard to give up the draft capital that Minnesota invested in Treadwell. But let's not forget that Treadwell is actually a very young player (only 3 months older than Jake), so those calling him a bust are probably a bit premature.

Should be noted I'm not a Vikings fan, so have no bias towards any of the players. Would love to see Jake make the squad, but based off when he is getting in the game I can't see him doing any better than the practice squad unless he just absolutely lights it up in the final preseason game and another team doesn't like their 4-5th guys and grabs him.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                          It's pretty hard to give up the draft capital that Minnesota invested in Treadwell. But let's not forget that Treadwell is actually a very young player (only 3 months older than Jake), so those calling him a bust are probably a bit premature.

Should be noted I'm not a Vikings fan, so have no bias towards any of the players. Would love to see Jake make the squad, but based off when he is getting in the game I can't see him doing any better than the practice squad unless he just absolutely lights it up in the final preseason game and another team doesn't like their 4-5th guys and grabs him.
                          What if they trade Treadwell for a mid-round draft pick, which the Vikes then trade to pick up another offensive lineman this season?

I honestly don't think Treadwell adds much that Jake couldn't, and as Jacks-02 mentioned, Jake is "cap friendly."

Comment

I think Cayleb Jones is likely eliminated as competition for Jake for a roster spot. In addition to being suspended for the first part of the season, he has just been arrested for felony-level theft and domestic assault.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                              What if they trade Treadwell for a mid-round draft pick, which the Vikes then trade to pick up another offensive lineman this season?

I honestly don't think Treadwell adds much that Jake couldn't, and as Jacks-02 mentioned, Jake is "cap friendly."
                              The Vikings invested a first-round pick on Treadwell a couple of years ago, but I seriously doubt that any team would give up a mid-round pick for him now, especially with free agents like Wieneke potentially available.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

The Vikings invested a first-round pick on Treadwell a couple of years ago, but I seriously doubt that any team would give up a mid-round pick for him now, especially with free agents like Wieneke potentially available.
                                The Packers got a 6th rounder for Brett Hundley somehow today so never say never.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X