Jake Wieneke in the Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake Wieneke - Vikings Hopeful

Jake's in on Vikes' first offensive series. Had one target, but looked like pass was slightly behind him and defender got there a bit early

Comment

Jake got cut today. We'll see if he makes PS.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Jake got cut today. We'll see if he makes PS.
        Vikes have nine spots filled on practice squad, with Beebe and Badet as WRs. There's still one spot available, but I'm not sure I have ever heard of a team having 30 percent of the practice squad devoted to WR. Nevertheless, I am still hoping.

Comment

No Jake right now on the PS...this may sound crazy but-

I’ve been thinking about this, what would happen if he put on 25-35 pounds good muscle, weight? He has the frame...He wouldn’t really slow down. He was always a willing and great downfield blocker, albeit they were DBs...regardless you can’t tell me he wouldn’t be more coveted as a 3rd/4th TE. Especially in the red zone. I still think he’d be a good WR but SDSU did him no favors by putting him in motion all the time and not teaching him how to get off the press.

Again just speculation, he’s such a great kid and I just want to see him fulfill his FB dream....also too much time thinking especially with the IA St game getting cancelled.

Comment

Shannon Sharpe played TE and was the elite player at that position for a few years in the NFL. At 6'2" and maybe 230 lbs., he was a TE on the depth chart only.

Niles Paul is playing for the Jaguars at age 29. I remember watching him run hurdles in high school. He played WR for the Huskers, but made it in the NFL as a TE. He is listed as 6'1" 242 lbs. During his senior year with the Huskers, he weighed 220 lbs.

Jake as a TE? We may become known as TE University for the FCS.

Comment

Saw on Twitter that Jake has signed with Montreal of the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Saw on Twitter that Jake has signed with Montreal of the CFL.
                Here's a podcast with Jake where he talks about time with Jacks; friendships with Goedert and Daum; experiences with, and appreciation for time on, Vikes; being cut from AAF, working out with Redskins, and signing with Montreal and his expectations; and marriage next month. Some audio issues, but it really makes you appreciate how humble and unassuming he is.

Link above is Google Play (Spotify available here and Apple Podcasts here)

Comment

Anyone know why Jake did not appear to play in the 1st Montreal preseason game?

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
                    Anyone know why Jake did not appear to play in the 1st Montreal preseason game?
                    Might have something to do with fact that he appears to be listed at top slotback on the depth chart, and they reportedly tried to maximize playing time for those lower on depth chart in that first preseason game.

Comment

It appears Jake survived the final roster cut with Montreal. That organization seems to be in disarray, but hopefully he can have a great rookie season and get noticed by nfl teams.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
                        It appears Jake survived the final roster cut with Montreal. That organization seems to be in disarray, but hopefully he can have a great rookie season and get noticed by nfl teams.
                        I like how you phrased it, "survived the final roster cut." The roster seems a little thin on talent, but that is driven by rules on rosters. The top receiver for the Alouettes is DeVier Posey, who was a 3rd round pick out of Ohio State. The depth at WR gets a bit thin after that. What drives the roster is that CFL teams are limited to 20 international players. Americans dominate the international slots.

Jake should get ample playing time as his backup at the slot position is a five-year veteran who has 4 career receptions. Stephen Adekolu "enjoyed a noteable four-year career at Bishop's University where he notched 998 receiving yards on 70 receptions over 28 appearances for the Gaiters. His best numbers came in 2013 as the rangy receiver picked up 505 yards on 25 catches." - Montreal Alouette's bio.

What will be interesting is who will be throwing to him. Antonio Pipkin currently occupies the top spot. As noted in his bio, "Antonio is the greatest quarterback of his Tiffin University." My first reaction is what is Tiffin University? He was a 2017 D2 All-American, passing for 10,940 career yards on 64.7% passing. His backup is Vernon Adams, Jr. We all can remember what he did at Eastern Washington before becoming a graduate transfer and starting at Oregon his senior season.

If the hogs up front can be effective in pass-protect, Jake could see significant action his way. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to their funky motion that the CFL is noted for pre-snap.

Comment

Jake Wieneke and the Montreal Alouettes are playing at the Hamilton Tiger-Cats tonight. I saw a reference to the game being on an ESPN2 -- kickoff is 7:30 PM Central.

Jake's number is 9 and he's listed as the starting slotback on the depth chart. Gameday info from Montreal's website:
                          https://en.montrealalouettes.com/gameday/

Former USD Coyote Stefan Logan is the punt and kick returner for the Alouettes.

Comment

Re: Jake Wieneke in the Pros

Touchdown Wieneke!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Just watched Jake catch his first TD -- Vernon Adams hit Jake in the corner. Well defended but the big guy pulled it in just like we've seen so many times. Lots of camera time for Jake after the play. That brought the score to Hamilton 26, Montreal 10 with under a minute in the third quarter.

Comment

He just caught a touchdown.

Comment

Working...
                                X