NCAA Financial Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Financial Data

Well the USA Today posted the 2017 financial data of all D-1 Public Schools.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

SDSU came in 131st out of 230 reporting institutions. We have total revenue of $22 Million, which is an increase from $17.3 Million the previous year. Our ticket sales went up from $2,696,733 in 2016 to $4,614,942 in 2017. I guess most of that came from the football stadium revenue.

If you just look at FCS schools, the highest ticket sales by institution is:

1.) NDSU - $5,624,229
    2.) Montana - $5,574,292
    3.) SDSU - $4,614,942
    4.) UND - $4.551.261

So to have 3 of the top 4 universities in the Summit is very good for the conference. It shows a lot of fan support for these universities.

Now we get to USD. USD had ticket sales of $761,527 in 2017, which is down from $807,258 in 2016.

So SDSU's ticket revenue is 6 times larger than USD. 6 TIMES!!! OMG that is pathetic. The Dakota Universities show that the fan support is there if you put a good product on the floor, so why are ticket sales so low at USD. They just got a new basketball facility, but does not seem to be helping their situation. I am sure when Frost in renovated that our ticket sales will increase again.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: NCAA Financial Data

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
    Well the USA Today posted the 2017 financial data of all D-1 Public Schools.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

SDSU came in 131st out of 230 reporting institutions. We have total revenue of $22 Million, which is an increase from $17.3 Million the previous year. Our ticket sales went up from $2,696,733 in 2016 to $4,614,942 in 2017. I guess most of that came from the football stadium revenue.

If you just look at FCS schools, the highest ticket sales by institution is:

1.) NDSU - $5,624,229
    2.) Montana - $5,574,292
    3.) SDSU - $4,614,942
    4.) UND - $4.551.261

So to have 3 of the top 4 universities in the Summit is very good for the conference. It shows a lot of fan support for these universities.

Now we get to USD. USD had ticket sales of $761,527 in 2017, which is down from $807,258 in 2016.

So SDSU's ticket revenue is 6 times larger than USD. 6 TIMES!!! OMG that is pathetic. The Dakota Universities show that the fan support is there if you put a good product on the floor, so why are ticket sales so low at USD. They just got a new basketball facility, but does not seem to be helping their situation. I am sure when Frost in renovated that our ticket sales will increase again.
    Think what it could have been if anyone showed up for playoff football.

Comment

Bang for the buck is unbelievable! Deep into the Football Playoffs and both basketball teams to the NCAA tourney! Go Jacks (and btw, show up for the football playoffs) !! Hats off to the athletic dept, Mr Sell and his group!

Comment

Y'all should go compare subsidy %'s in the Valley....

NDSU is the only one under 30.
        SDSU is the only one under 40.
        UNI is the only one under 50.

The rest are not good. (USeD is @ 62%! UND @ 46% [currently not MVFC, so technically correct, which everyone knows is the best kind of correct])

Seems that the XDSUs are doing it the right way - having the fans support the Universities with $$$$. Not on the backs of students like JMU (JMU's students pay 37M or $10M than NDSU's total budget) or UND.

Anyone remember the **** the UxeD's threw out when we said we were going D1/FCS? They are the ones that a failing just like the claimed we would, it's almost perfect. The only way it could be better is if they had to close their schools or drop back to D2.
        2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

And guaranteed not 1 story about the discrepancy will be in any of the state’s largest news outlets.
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Would love to see Augie’s #’s

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Would love to see Augie’s #’s
              Ask and you shall receive. Here is Augie's financials in a different format from one year earlier but still gives you an idea. Total budget is about $9M. Western was about $12.5 with football. ORU about $13 without football.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

Comment

Just checked Lindenwood's (still hear local talk about them transitioning) budget and it's $18 million without their life style sports but mixing in the small NAIA operation in Belleville. Do I think they could go D1 without a big cash infusion, no way. My assumption is that private schools have to spend much more than state schools cause they're showing the rack rate on high cost tuition--no? Augie would have to more than double that $9 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  Just checked Lindenwood's (still hear local talk about them transitioning) budget and it's $18 million without their life style sports but mixing in the small NAIA operation in Belleville. Do I think they could go D1 without a big cash infusion, no way. My assumption is that private schools have to spend much more than state schools cause they're showing the rack rate on high cost tuition--no? Augie would have to more than double that $9 million.
                  What does Augie bring in terms of revenue from attendance and concessions?

Comment

The data source, Equity in Athletics, where i found the Augie info does not report ticket income. As to public versus private cost to cover scholarships, the difference is not as great as expected. i compared Creighton and Wichita State which have similar student athlete participant numbers. Athletic student aid was $3.7M at Wichita State and $4.4M at Creighton.

Comment

Certainly these numbers are trumped up to paint SDSU in a good light. I remember for years that USD would always outdraw SDSU at home for rivalry games. Certainly they have similar revenue! (insert the heaviest of sarcasm here)

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        And guaranteed not 1 story about the discrepancy will be in any of the state’s largest news outlets.
                        Agreed - this is the type of story that needs to be written and dig down into why their is such a discrepancy.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          What does Augie bring in terms of revenue from attendance and concessions?
                          I think that Augie's numbers might be interesting to see but I don't know how much they will translate to what they would look like if Augie went DI. I know that SDSU, NDSU, Omaha, UND and USD are all in the conference so there might be some sellouts but there are a ton of differences.
                          1) I was at a Augie football game two years ago and their tickets cost $8. SDSU's cost $30.
                          2) Augie plays doubleheaders on back to back nights (I think) and their tickets cost less than a single SDSU game. Especially, if it is a "premium" game.
                          3) How many Denver, ORU or other teams fans will travel to Augie to watch a game compared to fans from UMD, SCSU, etc... I guess Sioux Falls is an easy flight but it's not much more difficult to drive 50m minutes to get to Brookings. I guess I don't know how far most of the NSIC teams are and I know there are some that are more that a five hour drive but I don't know how many.
                          4) I think they might get some more casual fans to show up for a Augie/SDSU game but how many other fans will not go to as many games if they raise ticket prices?
                          I think the Summit League should add a 10th team and go to a travel partner schedule. I know getting from Denver to ORU or from Western Illinois to IPFW might not be a three hour drive but it probably isn't terrible. The question is would they ever go to back to back nights or leave the off day in between.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            I think that Augie's numbers might be interesting to see but I don't know how much they will translate to what they would look like if Augie went DI. I know that SDSU, NDSU, Omaha, UND and USD are all in the conference so there might be some sellouts but there are a ton of differences.
                            1) I was at a Augie football game two years ago and their tickets cost $8. SDSU's cost $30.
                            2) Augie plays doubleheaders on back to back nights (I think) and their tickets cost less than a single SDSU game. Especially, if it is a "premium" game.
                            3) How many Denver, ORU or other teams fans will travel to Augie to watch a game compared to fans from UMD, SCSU, etc... I guess Sioux Falls is an easy flight but it's not much more difficult to drive 50m minutes to get to Brookings. I guess I don't know how far most of the NSIC teams are and I know there are some that are more that a five hour drive but I don't know how many.
                            4) I think they might get some more casual fans to show up for a Augie/SDSU game but how many other fans will not go to as many games if they raise ticket prices?
                            I think the Summit League should add a 10th team and go to a travel partner schedule. I know getting from Denver to ORU or from Western Illinois to IPFW might not be a three hour drive but it probably isn't terrible. The question is would they ever go to back to back nights or leave the off day in between.
                            These issues are no different than the ones we had to address when we made the move. As far as travel partners go, Augie would work well. UND-NDSU, SDSU-Augie and UNO-USD are all short drives. UNO-USD is about 130 miles. Fort Wayne-WIL is about 6 hrs. Denver-Tulsa is an easy flight but a 10 hr road trip. In addition to adding Augie, adding UNC as a partner for Denver and UMKC for ORU (240 miles) would be the best for travel partners.

I am not necessarily pro adding Augie, but the arguments against adding them remind me a great deal of USD arguments against us in 2003. They are more self protective than real. In fact the transition might be easier for Augie as they would have a built in set of rivals unlike us who only had NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              These issues are no different than the ones we had to address when we made the move. As far as travel partners go, Augie would work well. UND-NDSU, SDSU-Augie and UNO-USD are all short drives. UNO-USD is about 130 miles. Fort Wayne-WIL is about 6 hrs. Denver-Tulsa is an easy flight but a 10 hr road trip. In addition to adding Augie, adding UNC as a partner for Denver and UMKC for ORU (240 miles) would be the best for travel partners.

I am not necessarily pro adding Augie, but the arguments against adding them remind me a great deal of USD arguments against us in 2003. They are more self protective than real. In fact the transition might be easier for Augie as they would have a built in set of rivals unlike us who only had NDSU.
                              I think I was spinning what JACKGUYII said by saying that I think their "revenue from attendance and concessions" will change drastically if they go DI. Will they quadruple their ticket prices to get up to par with SDSU's? Will they raise their concession prices? Will getting back with UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD and UNO bring in about as many fans as what they have now? If they raise their prices, they could make a lot more from those things but it could run off some fans, too. That is a lot of if's and the only way to know that answer is if they make the move.
                              I can care less if Augie joins the Summit. I would like the added security of having another team and there is the added bonus they they are right down the road. I do know that Augie will need to make a lot more money and don't know where that will come from. They may have a lot of donors there to help them out. The only way I don't like the move is if some of SDSU's donors cut back or quit supporting SDSU to support Augie. It is their money and they can do what they want but that might not be good for all involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X