Golf: SDSU's Sam Batta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf: SDSU's Sam Batta

Sam Batta, Watertown, entering SDSU and joining the Jackrabbit Golf Team this Falll, won the USGA Junior Amateur Qualifier at the Fargo Country Club, Monday (6/25/18). He now advances to the 71st USGA Junior Championship July 6-21 at Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, NJ.

Batta carded a one-under-par 71.

Batta had strong senior season (finished tied for eighth in the State AA Golf Tourney in October -- for a reference point, Will Grevlos, the outstanding SF Washington golfer, finished tied for 12th at the State AA Tourney -- Grevlos joins the U of Minnesota golf team this Fall).

Batta has all the tools to be an outstanding college golfer.

Re: Golf: SDSU's Sam Batta

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Sam Batta, Watertown, entering SDSU and joining the Jackrabbit Golf Team this Falll, won the USGA Junior Amateur Qualifier at the Fargo Country Club, Monday (6/25/18). He now advances to the 71st USGA Junior Championship July 6-21 at Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, NJ.

Batta had strong senior season (finished tied for eighth in the State AA Golf Tourney in October -- for a reference point, Will Grevlos, the outstanding SF Washington golfer, finished tied for 12th at the State AA Tourney -- Grevlos joins the U of Minnesota golf team this Fall).

Qualifying for the any USGA event is a great accomplishment. Definitely a feather in the cap for Sam - congrats to him. I'm sure he'll compete for playing time right away this fall as a freshman. The men's golf team finished last at the SL tourney last spring so the incoming freshman will need to step up and contribute right away.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Awesome. I taught Sam as an 8th grader in Watertown and he was a great kid, and already a great golfer back then. Glad he continued to improve and chose SDSU.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Awesome. I taught Sam as an 8th grader in Watertown and he was a great kid, and already a great golfer back then. Glad he continued to improve and chose SDSU.
        I think this year's crop of high school golfers was pretty good. The two that seemed to attract the most attention and were consistent leaders were Grevlos from SF Washington and Bryce Hammer from SF O'Gorman. Grevlos is going to be a Gopher and Hammer is going to be an Iowa State Cyclone golfer. Bata was also a consistent top performer. He had opportunities to play for other schools...I think we picked up a good one.

Comment

Batta has now qualified for the USGA Amateur championship along with the the USGA Jr. Am from earlier this summer. Qualifying for both as an incoming freshman is very rare. A nice bonus is that the US Am is at Pebble Beach later this summer. Congrats Sam!

http://www.gojacks.com/news/2018/7/1...al-events.aspx

Comment

Working...
          X