2018/2019 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018/2019 Roster

Disappointing to say the least about MC III.

I wouldn't go too far to lay any blame at Matt Mooney, he had to make the best decision for himself. His coach left, and he graduated... he was well within his rights.

AND, he was one of the two top players in the league...

Hopefully the Jackrabbits can bring in another transfer... maybe even a Grad Transfer with MC's spot open. (We're a little light on upperclassmen next year).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I wouldn't go too far to lay any blame at Matt Mooney, he had to make the best decision for himself. His coach left, and he graduated... he was well within his rights.

Hopefully the Jackrabbits can bring in another transfer... maybe even a Grad Transfer with MC's spot open. (We're a little light on upperclassmen next year).
      definitely not blaming Mooney as I honestly think it was an easy decision. Sets him up the whole rest of his career. But I do think top players etc jenkins see the exposure he is no getting and makes transferring enticing.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        Yes sir I do. Does a member of the coaching staff count?
        Yes it does. Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
          definitely not blaming Mooney as I honestly think it was an easy decision. Sets him up the whole rest of his career. But I do think top players etc jenkins see the exposure he is no getting and makes transferring enticing.
          Jenkins is also seeing first-hand how much exposure Mike Daum is getting while staying at SDSU. Jenkins also has not had a redshirt year, so he would have to sit a year if he were to transfer. I think the whole grad transfer issue may make coaches think twice about redshirting a player that may have a chance to contribute right away, as in the cases of Jenkins and Owen King.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Yes it does. Thank You
            Nidaros, MCIII's name is also listed on verbatcommits as transferring. It was linked earlier in this thread.

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
            According to verbalcommits, Michael Carter is transferring. https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Jenkins is also seeing first-hand how much exposure Mike Daum is getting while staying at SDSU. Jenkins also has not had a redshirt year, so he would have to sit a year if he were to transfer. I think the whole grad transfer issue may make coaches think twice about redshirting a player that may have a chance to contribute right away, as in the cases of Jenkins and Owen King.
              Not redshirting also allows them to transfer mid-career without losing a year of eligibility. As the year they sit at their new school is also their red-shirt year.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Not redshirting also allows them to transfer mid-career without losing a year of eligibility. As the year they sit at their new school is also their red-shirt year.
                But they still sit a year in the middle of their college career. Which delays their ability to earn money playing basketball, whether that be in the NBA, developmental league or overseas. Which probably doesn't matter to players who transfer because of lack of playing time or a bad relationship with coaches. But it may matter to players already in a good situation (like Jenkins for example).

Comment

A couple of transfer players stat lines.

Matt Mooney, Texas Tech (USD): 14 starts, 2nd on team in minutes, 10.9 pts (2nd), 4.0 rebs (5th), 3.1 assists (2nd), 2.0 steals (1st)

Tre'Shawn Thurman, Nevada (UNO): 15 starts, 4th in minutes, 8.2 pts (4th), 5.9 rebs (2nd), 1.0 blocks (tied for 1st)

No doubt that top end talent level at the Summit can transfer well.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I find it interesting that none of the JUCO transfers on the list are likely to earn a degree from SDSU. I think depending on the transfer route to improve this team is very hit and miss and most likely a miss. I think they are just a little different breed of cat compared to the kids that commit out of high school. Either that or we are recruiting the wrong kind of JUCO player.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                      I find it interesting that none of the JUCO transfers on the list are likely to earn a degree from SDSU. I think depending on the transfer route to improve this team is very hit and miss and most likely a miss. I think they are just a little different breed of cat compared to the kids that commit out of high school. Either that or we are recruiting the wrong kind of JUCO player.
                      The flip side is you can get a Deondre Parks. It does seem like more misses than hits though.

Comment

2018/2019 Roster

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                        You’re right about it being “hit and miss” and some of them (including non-juco transfers) just seem to be wanderers always looking for the next big thing. Still, I think you have to stay in the hunt because you might find a Parks, Marshall, Orris or Cody Larson.

It would be interesting to see a list of all the transfers for both MBB and WBB to get a sense of how many end up working out here. 50%? How would you score Brandon Key? It feels like a failed experiment now but I doubt we would have earned either title last year without him. I’d call it a win for SDSU, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          You’re right about it being “hit and miss” and some of them (including non-juco transfers) just seem to be wanderers always looking for the next big thing. Still, I think you have to stay in the hunt because you might find a Parks, Marshall, Orris or Cody Larson.

It would be interesting to see a list of all the transfers for both MBB and WBB to get a sense of how many end up working out here. 50%? How would you score Brandon Key? It feels like a failed experiment now but I doubt we would have earned either title last year without him. I’d call it a win for SDSU, I guess.
                          Same with Howell. How about jill young. She is technically a transfer. More like a change of heart after school started but she was a biggie. Doesn't feel like the women have had many transfers impact as much as the men have. Marshall, Parks and Larson leading the way and orris and key close behind.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I was listening to AM 1620 in Omaha going to work last week....they are the home to Creighton basketball. They were doing a UNO recap and starting talking about the conference as a whole. They mentioned players who were high major level such as Konchar and Daum, when they got to Jenkins the comment was "soon to be playing at a favorite university near you".

While it was said somewhat tongue in cheek, I got the feeling it wasn't all at the same time. Just thought it was an odd random comment to just throw out there....kinda made me pucker a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                              I was listening to AM 1620 in Omaha going to work last week....they are the home to Creighton basketball. They were doing a UNO recap and starting talking about the conference as a whole. They mentioned players who were high major level such as Konchar and Daum, when they got to Jenkins the comment was "soon to be playing at a favorite university near you".

While it was said somewhat tongue in cheek, I got the feeling it wasn't all at the same time. Just thought it was an odd random comment to just throw out there....kinda made me pucker a little bit.
                              Talk radio guys are paid to say that kind of thing. The amazing thing is that they could actually name two players from a Summit League team.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

Weren't they saying the same thing about Daum to Nebraska a year ago ? And we were talking about Konchar last spring

Comment

Working...
                                X