Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018/2019 Roster

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Key demands the ball a lot. I’d pull him and Flatten off the bench. Move King to point and that’s assuming someone can step into the PF role.
    Not sure who we would have that is better than Flatten at the 3 spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      We really have been playing without a traditional power forward for the 4 years that Telly played there. I see the 3 D's - Daum, Dillon and Dentlinger splitting the minutes at the 4 and 5 spots, with Flatten also capable of playing some 4 against smaller line-ups.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        We really have been playing without a traditional power forward for the 4 years that Telly played there. I see the 3 D's - Daum, Dillon and Dentlinger splitting the minutes at the 4 and 5 spots, with Flatten also capable of playing some 4 against smaller line-ups.
        And even before that with Griff Callahan. We've been playing small for quite a while, now.

Comment

[QUOTE=BTownJack;332332]
          Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I agree - I'm remembering that Flatten was praised by the coaching staff last year for always getting a tough defensive assignment.
          That’s our coaches trying to push a player. He has gotten a lot better but still isn’t where he needs to be. Look, I’ll just say it once, but he missed a lot of defensive assignments over the last two years. He’s gotten better but he could be really really good. More effort and physicality is needed. I’m guessing just overall health and confidence in his body will help.

Flatten starting at the 3 would work. Not sure why I didn’t replace him with King.

I’d go:

King
          Jenkins
          Flatten
          ??
          Daum

Key first off the bench.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

That’s our coaches trying to push a player. He has gotten a lot better but still isn’t where he needs to be. Look, I’ll just say it once, but he missed a lot of defensive assignments over the last two years. He’s gotten better but he could be really really good. More effort and physicality is needed. I’m guessing just overall health and confidence in his body will help.

Flatten starting at the 3 would work. Not sure why I didn’t replace him with King.

I’d go:

King
            Jenkins
            Flatten
            ??
            Daum

Key first off the bench.
            If Key continues his progression from the start of last season to the end and carries it into this season, it will be tough to keep him off the court. He was dynamic in the SLT and against Ohio State, becoming the 3rd scoring threat and a solid defensive player. Imo you start him and play small ball until Dillon, Dentlinger, or King show that they're ready.

Comment

If Key continues his progression from the start of last season to the end and carries it into this season, it will be tough to keep him off the court. He was dynamic in the SLT and against Ohio State, becoming the 3rd scoring threat and a solid defensive player. Imo you start him and play small ball until Dillon, Dentlinger, or King show that they're ready.
              Key's minutes will always be limited due to his marginal shooting abilities and size. He can do some great things but we are pace and space offense. Dreadful shooters challenge that concept.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                Key's minutes will always be limited due to his marginal shooting abilities and size. He can do some great things but we are pace and space offense. Dreadful shooters challenge that concept.
                Right, I'm not claiming he should play the whole game like Jenkins and Daum will pretty much do this year. I'm just saying I think he deserves to start and have his minutes be right in line with King and Flatten's minutes. I definitely don't want Key jacking up 3s, but he's got a lot to offer.

Comment

Right, I'm not claiming he should play the whole game like Jenkins and Daum will pretty much do this year. I'm just saying I think he deserves to start and have his minutes be right in line with King and Flatten's minutes. I definitely don't want Key jacking up 3s, but he's got a lot to offer.
                  I think Key can shoot the ball we just seen such a small sample size last year it is hard to tell. His speed can't be matched by anybody else we currently have and most of his passes hit the player in perfect shooting position. The best part of him IMO is no stage is too big for him. If we could get Flatten to play with that fire and energy all the time I think the kid would be unstoppable !

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    I think Key can shoot the ball we just seen such a small sample size last year it is hard to tell. His speed can't be matched by anybody else we currently have and most of his passes hit the player in perfect shooting position. The best part of him IMO is no stage is too big for him. If we could get Flatten to play with that fire and energy all the time I think the kid would be unstoppable !
                    Key shot 35% with his juco team so he has the ability to shoot it a bit. Tevin King improved his shooting a lot from 16-17 to 17-18. I'm hopeful Key does the same. Being more comfortable in the system should help.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Key shot 35% with his juco team so he has the ability to shoot it a bit. Tevin King improved his shooting a lot from 16-17 to 17-18. I'm hopeful Key does the same. Being more comfortable in the system should help.
                      I know 35% is 35% but I wonder how many of his made baskets were layups? If he shot 70% on layups and 20% on jump shots that could be a different story. Of course, with the floor spread, he may not need to hit a lot of shots from outside. I can see him driving by his defender all day at the juco ranks.
                      This is IF he can't hit that shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        I know 35% is 35% but I wonder how many of his made baskets were layups? If he shot 70% on layups and 20% on jump shots that could be a different story. Of course, with the floor spread, he may not need to hit a lot of shots from outside. I can see him driving by his defender all day at the juco ranks.
                        This is IF he can't hit that shot.
                        He shot 35% from deep. The conversation was about Key shooting 3's so I thought that was clear. I'm guessing none of his 3's were layups

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          He shot 35% from deep. The conversation was about Key shooting 3's so I thought that was clear. I'm guessing none of his 3's were layups

Oops! I guess that is what I get for jumping in and not reading the thread. 35% from deep is good enough with everything else he brings to the table.
                          I find it weird that he can shoot 35% from deep (32% last year) but only 40% from the field(46% last year). I think his percentages from last year are more what I would expect. You would think with his quickness he should be able to get to the bucket more.
                          Last edited by 91jack; 07-18-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Also, if we want to run a space and pace offense, a key (no pun intended) part of that is the pace aspect. No one plays with more pace on our team than Key.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Nice videos on Mims and King, I assume there will be one for Fiegen soon. Any thoughts/predictions on who will redshirt out of those 3? I'm guessing Mims and Fiegen redshirt, with King working his way to be the 6th or 7th man (Dillon being the other likely 6th or 7th man). Anyone think either Dentlinger, Arians, and Krueger will contribute much? If Dillon turns out to be as good as advertised, I don't see Dentlinger getting much for minutes unless Daum and Dillon start playing side by side a bunch. It seems like King is going to carve out any minutes Arians or Krueger would have taken, but that's just my thoughts. Anyone else have different thoughts on the young guys?

King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIVe_Nz5YGQ

Mims https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZDUnU0x434

Comment

Is the new practice facility open. Some of the scenes of the Jacks aren't from Frost or anywhere else that I recognize.

Comment

Working...
                                X