Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Basketball Schedule

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Random side story here, I really feel that Williams and Callahan and a few others that were around then really were the players that took a team that was struggling to get 10 wins a season into league champ with multiple tourney appearances. They don't get enough credit for the success of SDSU basketball as they should IMHO.
    Maybe because there's one guy that was actually the real reason for things turning around (and Nagy keeping his job and landing a big contract).

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Maybe because there's one guy that was actually the real reason for things turning around (and Nagy keeping his job and landing a big contract).
      Austin Hanson? J/K well kinda true though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Though it seems like yesterday, I recall the 2003 Alumni golf outing at Volga at evening meal some coaches talked about the move to DI. The most passionate remarks came from Coach Nagy. He had a very good vision of what was ahead of him.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Last year when I was prepping a men's basketball preview article I had the chance to visit with Coach Klink. We were reminiscing on the transition and "dark years." Somehow we were talking about Kai and Garrett and I shared that I give them a lot of credit for sticking around and turning the program around. He said that yeah they deserve a lot of credit but the real credit belongs to Marcus Heemstra. Marcus already being committed here convinced Jordan Dykstra to commit here which convinced Nate to commit here. He said without Marcus we wouldn't have gotten the other two. And without Nate and Jordan who knows where we would be! Even though Marcus's career probably wasn't what anyone wanted, Klink was pretty adamant that Marcus played a huge role in changing the trajectory of Jackrabbit basketball.

Just thought this was an interesting tidbit.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            Last year when I was prepping a men's basketball preview article I had the chance to visit with Coach Klink. We were reminiscing on the transition and "dark years." Somehow we were talking about Kai and Garrett and I shared that I give them a lot of credit for sticking around and turning the program around. He said that yeah they deserve a lot of credit but the real credit belongs to Marcus Heemstra. Marcus already being committed here convinced Jordan Dykstra to commit here which convinced Nate to commit here. He said without Marcus we wouldn't have gotten the other two. And without Nate and Jordan who knows where we would be! Even though Marcus's career probably wasn't what anyone wanted, Klink was pretty adamant that Marcus played a huge role in changing the trajectory of Jackrabbit basketball.

Obviously I was talking about Heemstra in my post.

That is really interesting and something I'm sure most people don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Cool insight. Thanks for sharing. Makes a ton of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                Cool insight. Thanks for sharing. Makes a ton of sense.
                Cause wasn't Dykstra and Heemstra from the same high school?

Comment

I guess I thought the heemstra dykstra connection was public knowledge even at the time. But the rest of it was more than a little insightful and more than I would have ever known.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    Cause wasn't Dykstra and Heemstra from the same high school?
                    Yeah, they were from the same high school. I always assumed that is how we landed Jordan. The Wolters stuff was completely new info.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Interestingly enough (or maybe not) I first learned of the Jordan Dykstra commitment on the sidewalk in front of either Jim's tap or Chevys on the night that it happened from a certain member of the SID staff. He stated and I'll never forget that this recruit will change SDSU basketball. He was right.

IMHO. Marcus was under utilized.

Comment

What is Dykstra up to?
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          What is Dykstra up to?
                          I'd say about 6'8" and 220 pounds give or take.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            What is Dykstra up to?
                            He is/was working at Sanford at the Research Center.

Comment

Looks like we've got an exhibition game scheduled with the School of Mines for November 1st: https://gorockers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1096

Of note:
                              USD has an interesting schedule shaping up with games at Kansas, at Baylor and at Colorado State and in a MTE known as the Bimini Jam with games against UMBC, Air Force and High Point.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                Nevada game... if the Martin brothers both come back... I'll admit I'm a bit intimidated. Those guys are good.

No kidding. In the following CBS Sports podcast, Matt Norlander says they have the talent to be a top-10 team and a possible #1 seed in March. This one is going to be extremely tough - and a huge opportunity.

In the same podcast (39:00 in) Matt names the Jacks as a team to watch as one that could possibly grab an 8/9 seed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...troit-pistons/

Comment

Working...
                                X