Jacks Looking for New Assistant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks Looking for New Assistant

Per Zimmer tweet, Ben Walker is leaving to be Associate Head Coach at Tennessee State. Otz hopes to have replacement in 10-14 days.

Re: Jacks Looking for New Assistant

Any thoughts on a replacement?

Matt Wilber?
    Austin Hansen?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post

Matt Wilber?
      Austin Hansen?
      Pretty sure Hansen to SDSU won't happen as he joined Smith in Utah. http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sport...042018aab.html Last year's Utah State assistants made over $150k a year. Coach Klink is making $85k a year.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
        Pretty sure Hansen to SDSU won't happen as he joined Smith in Utah. http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sport...042018aab.html Last year's Utah State assistants made over $150k a year. Coach Klink is making $85k a year.
        Hopefully that suggestion was done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post

Matt Wilber?
          Austin Hansen?
          I don't have a clue who it will be but I'm thinking that it will not be either one of these guys. Coach Otz seems to have connections in other parts of the country and he seems to want people he is familiar with. Not to say that he won't recruit area players (Feigen) but I just don't think he will worry about getting somebody that can recruit around here very much.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I don't have a clue who it will be but I'm thinking that it will not be either one of these guys. Coach Otz seems to have connections in other parts of the country and he seems to want people he is familiar with. Not to say that he won't recruit area players (Feigen) but I just don't think he will worry about getting somebody that can recruit around here very much.
            My bet is it will be an off-the-radar selection ... a kid who is likely not married who can and will travel throughout the world and be their high energy recruiter. Travel to Poland ... no problem, turn around and travel to California ... no problem. Similar to what Otz was when he first started at Iowa State!

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
              After I posted I went and looked and saw Austin was hired as an assistant at Utah State. The last time I checked there were no assistants listed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Hopefully that suggestion was done with tongue firmly in cheek.
                It certainly wasn't a suggestion. It was a question on my part and an attempt to get a conversation started on who may be in line.

Only reason I threw those two names out there is because they are names I know and have a history with the program.

Comment

Best wishes to Coach Walker on his new position.

Had the opportunity to meet him, and talk to him a couple times last summer.

Great guy. Can't blame him for moving up the ladder (Ass't Head Coach).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    Best wishes to Coach Walker on his new position.

Had the opportunity to meet him, and talk to him a couple times last summer.

Great guy. Can't blame him for moving up the ladder (Ass't Head Coach).
                    Ditto this message. I never got a chance to meet him, no doubt he will be missed. Otz has some replacements in mind without a doubt.

Comment

Jacks have hired Curtis Weathers (not the former Browns linebacker) as an assistant MBB coach. He comes from the private sector where he "was responsible for scouting, evaluating, recruiting, pre-draft training, player development and client management."

http://gojacks.com/news/2018/5/14/we...all-staff.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Jacks have hired Curtis Weathers (not the former Browns linebacker) as an assistant MBB coach. He comes from the private sector where he "was responsible for scouting, evaluating, recruiting, pre-draft training, player development and client management."

http://gojacks.com/news/2018/5/14/we...all-staff.aspx
                        ****, that's an interesting and (seemingly) atypical move. I like it a lot.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Looking at his background, it seems like Weathers may spend a lot of time on the recruiting trail. And he appears to have a deep connection in the Milwaukee area, where Otz has already pulled a number of recruits from.

Comment

Welcome, Coach Weathers! I, too, like his nontraditional experience and expertise in basketball.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Welcome aboard Coach Weathers!

Comment

Working...
                              X