Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Fan Survey

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    Along with the cell/wifi issues I also reiterated the parking issues. I still think it's a darn shame that students had to move their vehicles in some spots for home FB games. I think that gets solved with the Intramural fields turning to a parking lot. until it's an issue again...have the foresite to solve that. I still think and will for a very long time that a parking ramp north of HPER and skybridge to Frost and DJD would solve a lot. I know, I know...the cost and cost to maintain...I think it pays for itself though over time.
    Not to pick on your comment about parking...but I find it laughable that people bring up parking as an issue. Go to most college campuses that are in bigger cities, SDSU students do not have Parking problems, not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Not to pick on your comment about parking...but I find it laughable that people bring up parking as an issue. Go to most college campuses that are in bigger cities, SDSU students do not have Parking problems, not even close.
      I 100% agree with this.

Ignorance is bliss and if people can't park within 50 feet of the door of where they are going they will complain. My father-in-law and I argue about this all the time. I just tell him - donate some cash and you'll have a nice spot right up front if you want it. He doesn't like that answer :-)

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        true but students in larger cities have far better public transportation, Uber/lyfte and access to amenities on or near campus. BATA is only so good, Walmart 1/2-1 mile away around McCrory Gardens and HyVee 2 miles away(with its stranglehold on Starbucks). Brookings just isn't a community that is as easy to get around in that aspect. Sure for 4-5 months out of the year you can ride bike but many large stores are near campus in metropolitan areas.

Besides they pay for a permit to park, think of it like this...you pay for cell service, they pay to park...neither of us is happy when we cannot use that service.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          I 100% agree with this.

Ignorance is bliss and if people can't park within 50 feet of the door of where they are going they will complain. My father-in-law and I argue about this all the time. I just tell him - donate some cash and you'll have a nice spot right up front if you want it. He doesn't like that answer :-)
          No but for my 70+ year old parents its no picnic with bad knees. if there was a better way to allow for a drop of for kids etc would help a lot. frankly they need to allow parking in the fields east of the performing art center. pave more of that area would help add a few hundred spaces I would think pretty easy.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            No but for my 70+ year old parents its no picnic with bad knees. if there was a better way to allow for a drop of for kids etc would help a lot. frankly they need to allow parking in the fields east of the performing art center. pave more of that area would help add a few hundred spaces I would think pretty easy.
            I'd suggest getting a handicap placard for your parents. I think they are pretty easy to come by and no shame in that if some bad knees are getting in the way!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              I'd suggest getting a handicap placard for your parents. I think they are pretty easy to come by and no shame in that if some bad knees are getting in the way!
              yeah, have been bugging them about it. when dad had hip issues he did borrow grandmas a time or two after she passed away.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

true but students in larger cities have far better public transportation, Uber/lyfte and access to amenities on or near campus. BATA is only so good, Walmart 1/2-1 mile away around McCrory Gardens and HyVee 2 miles away(with its stranglehold on Starbucks). Brookings just isn't a community that is as easy to get around in that aspect. Sure for 4-5 months out of the year you can ride bike but many large stores are near campus in metropolitan areas.

Besides they pay for a permit to park, think of it like this...you pay for cell service, they pay to park...neither of us is happy when we cannot use that service.
                Must admit that I selfishly didn't mention this because I don't mind walking across campus, so it slipped my mind, but one possible compromise could be to standardize the routes and schedules of the extended "golf carts" that they use to ferry fans from outlying parking to the stadium. Back when my parents and I used to walk to games together, we had drivers of those ask if we needed a lift when we were walking. Assuming that is still an option, maybe the university could implement a service where fans could text their location and number of people needing a ride to the drivers of those carts.

If they wanted to get more sophisticated, I suppose they could try implementing a similar app for smartphone users in lieu of texting.

Comment

I gave 'em hell about my cell phone/wifi issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                    I gave 'em hell about my cell phone/wifi issues.
                    Some of my angst with that would be reduced if they would somewhat regularly update Valley scores on the scoreboard throughout the game, as generally it is most annoying when I am trying to check those at halftime. Course, the Jacks starting a string a undefeated seasons would essentially accomplish the same thing, as I'd be much less concerned with how MVFC foes are doing

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                      Must admit that I selfishly didn't mention this because I don't mind walking across campus, so it slipped my mind, but one possible compromise could be to standardize the routes and schedules of the extended "golf carts" that they use to ferry fans from outlying parking to the stadium. Back when my parents and I used to walk to games together, we had drivers of those ask if we needed a lift when we were walking. Assuming that is still an option, maybe the university could implement a service where fans could text their location and number of people needing a ride to the drivers of those carts.

If they wanted to get more sophisticated, I suppose they could try implementing a similar app for smartphone users in lieu of texting.
                      Maybe they could do like the fairs do to transport large numbers of people to and from their cars, something large enough to pull a trailer with enough seats to get greater numbers to where they want to go. Some places like the Phoenix zoo actually use shuttle buses. They could travel a certain route and go back and forth on that route.They could handle large numbers of people with just a few shuttles.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        Maybe they could do like the fairs do to transport large numbers of people to and from their cars, something large enough to pull a trailer with enough seats to get greater numbers to where they want to go. Some places like the Phoenix zoo actually use shuttle buses. They could travel a certain route and go back and forth on that route.They could handle large numbers of people with just a few shuttles.
                        Definitely seems like an option, particularly for boundary parking lots that would permit wider vehicle/trailer traffic.

Could have at least two of them with opportunities for corporate sponsorships after they're given monikers of the "Cubby's Caravan" and "B-Dubs Bus"

Comment

Along with the cell/wifi issues I also reiterated the parking issues. I still think it's a darn shame that students had to move their vehicles in some spots for home FB games. I think that gets solved with the Intramural fields turning to a parking lot. until it's an issue again...have the foresite to solve that. I still think and will for a very long time that a parking ramp north of HPER and skybridge to Frost and DJD would solve a lot. I know, I know...the cost and cost to maintain...I think it pays for itself though over time.
                          At Florida State University and I would assume many other major institutions the parking lots are used for home football games. Every student on campus has to find a place to park there car off campus on Friday or will get towed. Some school do not allow freshmen to have cars or allow them to park on campus if they have them. I believe Ohio U and Notre Dame are two of those institutions.
                          We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I'm a student at SDSU and there are not many students that have to move their cars, SE Lot is pretty big and most people park on the south side. With that being said I think its a little ridiculous that they even allow people to park in student parking.
                            The JACKEDRABBITS aren't that cute.. we can be mean too!

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeJackrabbit View Post
                              I'm a student at SDSU and there are not many students that have to move their cars, SE Lot is pretty big and most people park on the south side. With that being said I think its a little ridiculous that they even allow people to park in student parking.
                              Where would you suggest they park then? Walmart? 18k people coming to campus they need to be able to park somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeJackrabbit View Post
                                ok, I apologize for even bringing this up on here, I should've known this could've created a rabbit hole...for clarity I believe it was around 400 spots that had to be clear. I also believe that will not happen this coming season as the parking will be expanded. IN the end I still think that it was a shame that any student had to move their vehicle out of a space in a lot they paid for. It doesn't matter to me what other schools allow or do not allow...many students choose to come here because it is open and rural. Parking was an issue and an inconvenience, I just wish they wouldn't have made it an inconvenience for the students.

So here's to plenty of parking and full coverage cells and optimal wifi(although from what I understand wifi is a campus wide issue).

Comment

Working...
                                X