Football Roster Cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Football Roster Cuts

Having too many players that want to be part of your team seems like a good problem to have.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I would instruct the Yote fans to have a look at the BOR athletic funding report. It will give you an idea of how the income is raised for each institution. USD is funding over 1/2 their budget with general funds, institutional charges, and student fees.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Scholarship numbers and scholarship dollars are not being cut. The team will need to be down and stay at 105 though.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          Scholarship numbers and scholarship dollars are not being cut. The team will need to be down and stay at 105 though.
          I know the answer. Is this not an annual process? Seems like, it would be if more than 105 candidates report for spring camp. I suspect spring camp is sort of a tryout camp, for some. No??

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I know the answer. Is this not an annual process? Seems like, it would be if more than 105 candidates report for spring camp. I suspect spring camp is sort of a tryout camp, for some. No??
            My guess, is that between last years preferred walk-ons and then true walk-ons or late additions, add in some transfers and mid-season people, with new incoming players and they are probably close if not over the 105 limit. However its also is probably about the finances as well. After you've had a kid in the program for 1-2 years you can probably tell if they are worth keeping around or not.

Unless there is something drastic with this, my guess is its pretty routine.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              My guess, is that between last years preferred walk-ons and then true walk-ons or late additions, add in some transfers and mid-season people, with new incoming players and they are probably close if not over the 105 limit. However its also is probably about the finances as well. After you've had a kid in the program for 1-2 years you can probably tell if they are worth keeping around or not.

Unless there is something drastic with this, my guess is its pretty routine.
              IF (and its a big if), all current players returned, all 2018 incoming scholarship freshmen qualified, and all 2018 incoming PWO's showed up, the team would be around 127 when camp started in July (If my roster projection is correct).

We all know that there is some attrition from spring to fall; injuries, interest, grades, etc and there are usually a few recruits that don't qualify for D1 athletics.
              Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 05-02-2018, 09:40 AM.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                I would instruct the Yote fans to have a look at the BOR athletic funding report. It will give you an idea of how the income is raised for each institution. USD is funding over 1/2 their budget with general funds, institutional charges, and student fees.
                I had not looked at the BOR Athletic Funding Report before and it does have interesting numbers. I figured we'd have a bigger budget for multiple reasons, but I was really surprised by some of the diversity between the two D1 programs.

Income: SDSU $20.2 million USD $14.2 million

Gate Receipts: SDSU $4.35 million USD $756k (nearly 6x more)
                Concessions: SDSU $353,321 USD $74,173

Corporate Sponsorships: SDSU $1,468,118 USD $0 (that doesn't seem right)
                Donations: SDSU $2.9 million USD $1.2 million

Expenses: SDSU $19.8 million USD $14.2 million

Administrative: SDSU $5.2 million USD $3.4 million
                Stadium Lease Payment: SDSU $2.6 million USD $0

Of interest to me is that our basketball budget was almost as much as our football budget for expenses. ($2,966,346 / $3,151,974)
                Granted there are two basketball teams versus one football team.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                  I had not looked at the BOR Athletic Funding Report before and it does have interesting numbers. I figured we'd have a bigger budget for multiple reasons, but I was really surprised by some of the diversity between the two D1 programs.

Of interest to me is that our basketball budget was almost as much as our football budget for expenses. ($2,966,346 / $3,151,974)
                  Sorry if this is to smackish but, even with the dome dogs that's all the can make in concessions. frankly I was thinking ours was low. seems like we can go to a game with out each family dropping 20-40 depending of if kids are a long etc. seems most families I know at games are in that range too.

and as far as usd corporate sponsors that seems about right to me. Just kidding. maybe they mark donations differently?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Sorry if this is to smackish but, even with the dome dogs that's all the can make in concessions. frankly I was thinking ours was low. seems like we can go to a game with out each family dropping 20-40 depending of if kids are a long etc. seems most families I know at games are in that range too.

and as far as usd corporate sponsors that seems about right to me. Just kidding. maybe they mark donations differently?
                    That is net profit from concessions. Gross would be much larger.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      That is net profit from concessions. Gross would be much larger.
                      That would explain it.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

My initial thoughts are that USeD either is giving away a massive number of tickets or is doing some creative accounting for their gate receipts for some odd reason. The confusing part is that the concession profits line up with their gate receipts compared to ours somewhat.

The basketball thing doesn’t surprise me at all. We’re at FCS so we have a more controlled football budget compared to FBS while the basketball team is competing with FBS schools, so they would naturally need to be funded at a higher level compared to the football team to be at a competitive level we want. Plus they have to travel more. I would bet if you look at a team like UNI they likely spend more on their basketball program than their football program. Now if we were to jump to FBS that comparison would change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          My initial thoughts are that USeD either is giving away a massive number of tickets or is doing some creative accounting for their gate receipts for some odd reason. The confusing part is that the concession profits line up with their gate receipts compared to ours somewhat.

The basketball thing doesn’t surprise me at all. We’re at FCS so we have a more controlled football budget compared to FBS while the basketball team is competing with FBS schools, so they would naturally need to be funded at a higher level compared to the football team to be at a competitive level we want. Plus they have to travel more. I would bet if you look at a team like UNI they likely spend more on their basketball program than their football program. Now if we were to jump to FBS that comparison would change.

All together now Repeat after me: "There is NO FBS in basketball, I promise to refer to Power Conferences as such (or as Major conferences) as football does not correlate to basketball"

Comment

Football Roster Cuts

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            All together now Repeat after me: "There is NO FBS in basketball, I promise to refer to Power Conferences as such (or as Major conferences) as football does not correlate to basketball"
                            However, generally speaking FBS schools spend more money on athletics across the board.

Edit: and I’ll refer to them however I want since they are still FBS schools whether there is that distinction in basketball or not :P
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              Would it be better if he said that our football team only plays mid major teams so they only have to funded at that rate. Our basketball team might be classified as a mid major but they have to compete against the major teams so they spend more to try to keep up?

I know there are things like 36 more scholarships, more equipment, more staff, etc.. in football but they don't travel anywhere near as much.
                              Football only had 7 away games this season where the basketball teams had 33 away games. They don't travel with as many people but they have many more trips.
                              There might be a few more coaches in football than both basketball teams put together but I wonder if the salaries are more for basketball than in football. Both head coaches in basketball make more than double the head coach in football.
                              I think most of this is correct but there are many other things that I'm sure factor in.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Edit: and I’ll refer to them however I want since they are still FBS schools whether there is that distinction in basketball or not :P
                                So Former National Champion Villinova Are they FBS, Asking for a Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X