RIP-The Real Tom Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP-The Real Tom Black?

Probably Nidaros is one of the few to remember Tom Black's center playing days. I enrolled the year after their NCAA championship and Black was a senior. Anyway I was glancing at the class notes section of STATE magazine and noted that Thomas D. Black of Ovando, MT (class of 64) died September of last year. Think THE Tom Black hailed from La Crosse WI-- anyone know if this is him?

For the non old timers, Tom Black was one of the few Jacks who got time in the NBA. Remember him being really lanky, can't remember him doing a lot of hustling, although I only saw him play my freshman year when things were starting to go down hill. My assumption is that modern training would have about another twenty pounds of muscle on him. Probably too much of a classic post player although he could have probably changed with the times. He was certainly tall enough.

My apologies if this isn't the athlete Tom Black, but a few comments on how a real old timer might fare today might be worth a few comments. I suspect this might be a bit like musing how George Miken would do in the NBA--probably not well, although Miken had a lot more beef on him than Tom.

Re: RIP-The Real Tom Black?

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    Probably Nidaros is one of the few to remember Tom Black's center playing days. I enrolled the year after their NCAA championship and Black was a senior. Anyway I was glancing at the class notes section of STATE magazine and noted that Thomas D. Black of Ovando, MT (class of 64) died September of last year. Think THE Tom Black hailed from La Crosse WI-- anyone know if this is him?

For the non old timers, Tom Black was one of the few Jacks who got time in the NBA. Remember him being really lanky, can't remember him doing a lot of hustling, although I only saw him play my freshman year when things were starting to go down hill. My assumption is that modern training would have about another twenty pounds of muscle on him. Probably too much of a classic post player although he could have probably changed with the times. He was certainly tall enough.

My apologies if this isn't the athlete Tom Black, but a few comments on how a real old timer might fare today might be worth a few comments. I suspect this might be a bit like musing how George Miken would do in the NBA--probably not well, although Miken had a lot more beef on him than Tom.
    I started at SDSU the fall of 64, so didn't get to see Tom Black play. But, his name was still a legend in the classic snowball fights between Brown and Mathews Hall. Understand he had a lethal fastball.

Comment

Tom came to SDSU via a friendship with teammate Nick Brod from Huron. Nick Brod was on the talented Huron Tigers teams in 1957-59, who won the state A in 1958 and were runnersup in 1959. Nick got a free ride to Wisconsin, as did his teammates
      Denny Busch SDSU, Johny Erhert, USD and Rex Sweet U of Nebraska. A talented bunch of players and apparently Nick was not happy at Wisconsin and decided to transfer to SDSU and brought Tom Black with him. Tom was a quality rebounder and some of his records still stand. I just checked the most current media guide.

Rebounds Per Game Season 14.8, Tom Black, 1962-63 (404 in 27 Games)
      Career (two years) 13.2,
      Tom Black, 1963-64 (635 in 48 Games)
      Career (three years) 11.5, Sid Bostic, 1962-64 (804 in 70 Games)
      Career (four years) 9.6, Mark Tetzlaff, 1982-85 (1,132 in 118 Games)

Since Tom did completed some of his eligibility at Wisconsin he does not match Mark Tetzlaff in total rebounds plus there are changes in the game that occurred between 1963 and 1985. I curious to see if Daum breaks some of Blacks rebounding records. Yes Tom was from LaCrosse.

Tom was very liked as I recall. RIP Tom Black.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 04-13-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Are we pretty sure this is THE Tom Black? How would he do today?

Comment

The last I had heard, Tom was living in Montana. I am pretty certain there was only one Tom Black who graduated in 1964. Against Daum, he would have his hands full. Rebounding is still important part of the game so I think he would be out there playing, but with better coaching and better conditioning, and a young body, he would do okay.

Keith Mehlum VP in the SDSU Foundation,who has been on campus for almost 30 years, was also from Lacrosse and knew Tom and some of his family. I suspect that Keith passed on some sort of a death notice to the Alumni Association. I doubt there is a mistaken identity here.

Comment

Yes...it was the Tom Black from SDSU basketball fame.

Comment

I did a quick search and found his obituary. Indeed it is our hero:

http://lacrossetribune.com/lifestyle...eb3e9ffee.html

Comment

Too bad STATE magazine didn't give him more of a write up.

Comment

Too bad STATE magazine didn't give him more of a write up.
                  Yes I agree. Apparently, he was more connected to Montana then LaCrosse or Brookings. With strokes you usually get some warning and often some paralysis, but from the obituary it sounded rather fatal. You wonder how often he made medical visits. Probably not at all. I cannot recall if he made it to 2013 team reunion, I know they had one. I remember seeing Sid Bostic in a restaurant. I guess there is life after basketball. He was only in Brookings two years.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 04-14-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X