Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Augie to the Summit?

Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

I was hoping we could keep race, religion and politics off of this sports forum.

Quote Originally Posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    I was hoping we could keep race, religion and politics off of this sports forum.
    Comparative Lutheran theology isn't central to basketball. Politics isn't central to basketball, unless it's Illinois higher education and it's WIU being strangled to death by Mike Madigan. Inability to recruit African American players might be central to basketball. We'll see how Augie goes. My bet is that they will recruit different players when they go D1. I don't think Billiter is a bad coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    Comparative Lutheran theology isn't central to basketball. Politics isn't central to basketball, unless it's Illinois higher education and it's WIU being strangled to death by Mike Madigan. Inability to recruit African American players might be central to basketball. We'll see how Augie goes. My bet is that they will recruit different players when they go D1. I don't think Billiter is a bad coach.
    You REALLY need to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    I agree. Grizzled Jack: that's enough.

Augie wins DII Softball Championship over the weekend.

That's 3 sports the last few years: Mens Basketball, Baseball, and Softball.

They are obviously a force at the D2 level, and I can see the interest in moving up. No idea how they will afford it... as many have said FB will have to either be axed or moved to non-scholly.

I looked at how Augustana compares to the other Summit League schools in five categories:
    Athletic Revenue, Enrollment, Endowment, Academic Ranking and Metro Population. I also included UMKC as they are returning, and I included University of St. Thomas as they have also been mentioned as a potential target.

Here is how Augie ranks out of the 12 schools:
    Athletic Revenue: 11th
    Enrollment: 12th
    Endowment: 8th
    Academic Ranking: 12th
    Metro Population: 7th

Here is a link to the charts showing all the schools:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7WOzcm/pubhtml

Quote Originally Posted by LARabbit View Post
    I looked at how Augustana compares to the other Summit League schools in five categories:
    Athletic Revenue, Enrollment, Endowment, Academic Ranking and Metro Population. I also included UMKC as they are returning, and I included University of St. Thomas as they have also been mentioned as a potential target.

Here is how Augie ranks out of the 12 schools:
    Athletic Revenue: 11th
    Enrollment: 12th
    Endowment: 8th
    Academic Ranking: 12th
    Metro Population: 7th

Here is a link to the charts showing all the schools:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7WOzcm/pubhtml
    These are interesting stats, but I believe in Augustana long range plan is to increase enrollment and also to build on revenue with corporate sponsorships which will probably fall into place much easier than Brookings even with statewide following with AG Associations. Is St Thomas a future member? It sure looks like that is the plan. I believe St. Thomas was briefly part of the NCC in the very early days. What is the source of this information? Just curious!

Anybody see the story in the Argus (don't have the link handy) about fraud at Sanford with their top surgeon and implicating Krabenhoft? Sounds like it could be a major deal for Sanford. Wonder if/how this impacts potential nest money available now and in the future for the Augie move sick Krabenhoft i's the big pusher for the reclassification. Interesting stuff that I fully admit may not be relevant to the Augie to DI stuff, but it does involve some key players in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    These are interesting stats, but I believe in Augustana long range plan is to increase enrollment and also to build on revenue with corporate sponsorships which will probably fall into place much easier than Brookings even with statewide following with AG Associations. Is St Thomas a future member? It sure looks like that is the plan. I believe St. Thomas was briefly part of the NCC in the very early days. What is the source of this information? Just curious!
    Augie's bad academically? Does that lessen the snotty superiority they demonstrated when I was in school? Doesn't twelfth mean worse than ORU?

Finally looked at the Google Sheet. Don't think that means worst academically, only smallest.