No announcement yet.

Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I succumbed against my better judgement and finally listened to this podcast/show for the first time ever. This Todd Epp (Kelo radio news director) explains that he had a discussion with a "highly placed, knowledgeable source says SDSU and USD wants to see Augie in the Summit League [this was said at beginning]. I couldn't possibly think of a better source for this kind of information [this was said at the very end]" He said he he didn't ask the specific question on "will SDSU and USD vote yes for it." This source was frustrated that this has drug out this long and that Augie had a lot of blame for this process taking too long.

At the end Epp was asked if this person he talked to thought Augie would be accepted for membership. Again, he said he didn't ask that exact question and then said "his judgement is that USD and & SDSU are in favor of it but wouldn't go as far as saying they'll vote for them. And that he would say Augie is 'on the fence' about getting in".

In the end, the Twitter message is click bait and if you have a strong interest in this topic, I'd suggest listening to the full 15 min. podcast. And you can make your own judgement. You can skip to the 3:25 mark if you want to skip all the non-related intro show stuff.
    Last edited by BTownJack; 03-18-2020, 12:56 PM. Reason: awful grammar fixed

Comment

• Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Right. However there are 6 other institution presidents so might have something to say about this as well. It is worth mentioning that gaining UMKC and St Johns in the league would put us right at the 10 team Goldie locks #for the league.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Last time I heard Douple talk about the subject this he didn't sound too sure of Augie's entry. He mentioned that Augie would not just need the local schools backing, they would need to prove to DU, UMKC and others that bringing them in provided a benefit to the league. I do not see Denver agreeing to Augustana. They were thrilled with St. Thomas because they are a school very much like Denver. Augustana… just don't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        There have been several comments on Augie's goal in student enrollment. What I saw (and heard) was Stephanie's comment that Augie's goal was to double it's enrollment in the next couple of years. That would mean moving from 1800 to 3600. Are you kidding me! SDSU and USD have both been losing enrollment the last two years. And both have been pushing hard to get students from Nebrasa, Iowa and Minnesota,, because the demographics in SD won't support growth in any of the state's institutions. Finally, Augie has a narrow span of educational opportunities compared to the two state universities. There are a lot of things that are changing in college athletics...so never say never to Augie in the Summit...but I wouldn't bet any money on it happening.
        Small, private institutions are having a much harder time maintaining enrollment and many are beginning to close their doors. Google the subject and you find a number of articles that discuss the problems school like Augustana are having. It has been an issue for a while now and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Boot Western Illinois and bring in Augie and St. Thomas and we have the ideal #of 10. WIU is a dumpster fire that will only get worse.
          An argument could be made that Augie is a bigger potential dumpster fire than WIU. As a public institution, WIU at least has the backing of the state of Illinois, which, granted, is kind of financially shaky at the moment. It also is likely to continue to have a decent, D-1 football team. Augie has limited opportunities for growth in funding, enrollment, academics or athletics. It has been matched locally in stature by USF and probably sees D-1 as a way to separate itself from its neighborhood rival and snag a piece of basketball tourney revenue.That's not much appeal..
          This space for lease.

Comment

• Isn't USF ahead of Augie now in athletic stature? Seems to be Augie has trouble beating them and Augie bball hasn't been great since they won the watered down D2 title.

Comment

• I've been against Augie moving up from the get go, and nothing has changed my opinion of this.

This press by the SF media is weird. Why would the MEDIA be pushing this move?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

An argument could be made that Augie is a bigger potential dumpster fire than WIU. As a public institution, WIU at least has the backing of the state of Illinois, which, granted, is kind of financially shaky at the moment. It also is likely to continue to have a decent, D-1 football team. Augie has limited opportunities for growth in funding, enrollment, academics or athletics. It has been matched locally in stature by USF and probably sees D-1 as a way to separate itself from its neighborhood rival and snag a piece of basketball tourney revenue.That's not much appeal..
                I'd hate to see us lose WIU. The 'Necks problems are directly linked to a political fight between the Illinois legislature and the governor's office with the public universities taking financial hit after financial hit. But i think WIU (and the U of IL etc) can bounce back if there's an effort to save some very good institutions including the flagship U of Illinois which in the not-too-distant past has been referred to as a world-class university.

I agree with Jacked Up and see Augie as having a greater potential to be a dumpster fire. Augie could join the league and have no realistic prospects of getting out of the cellar. I wouldn't count out WIU. WIU has some proud traditions.

Comment

• Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  I've been against Augie moving up from the get go, and nothing has changed my opinion of this.

In the case of one employee at KWSN, seems that his wanting Augie to move up is more about his personal dislike for SDSU and the schools fans.

The rest? Who knows. I have not lived in SD for over 25 years. My guess is that some of it has to do with the SF media's feeling that the world revolves around Sioux Falls and the rest of the state are beneath them. Note: that does not include Zimmer, or in the past Terry. Both of whom have done a great job covering SDSU, both of whom seem to appreciate what Brookings provides. A true College town experience.

Comment

• I don't know if it's a inferiority complex or what. Like, they are located in SF, and SF doesn't have a D1 School...so they think they should.

If they looked at it from the point of view of the actual schools that actually do have D1 programs, it's not a leap to see why they would or should be against it.

Augustana is NOT a D1 caliber school. They have a small academic base, they are extremely expensive, and they have limited physical space. How are they going to double the student population, when colleges and universities nationwide are losing students? There is literally NOTHING about Augustana that says "D1" except for the fact that they are in a city that doesn't have a D1 school. They will either lose their FB program, OR have it go non-scholarship.

And the ONLY people who seem to be pushing this narrative are some higher ups at Augie, and the SF radio and newspaper folks.

Comment

I've been against Augie moving up from the get go, and nothing has changed my opinion of this.

Just because its in Sioux falls probably more then it being Augie. Gives them something to push for locally. Not sure why else they would care. If Augie was in Mitchell, Sioux Fall media probably wouldn't even cover the move or only would for the day if they actually got into a conference. I if we need Augie to stabilize the conference we are in bigger trouble than that. Yet, I think what about other schools that are in the conference now, maybe in the future. Are any schools really excited to have UMKC back? ORU maybe since they are closer. Denver is only here because we are the best bad option for them. Western is hanging by a thread and barely can survive, ORU may think its time for green pastures again if they don't get back some of the success they had 10-15 years ago.....Augie might seem like let down and compete with SDSU and USD interests, but we didn't struggle when USD came, NDSU I doubt took a hit from UND coming on board. Augie is a small school who might be able to provide average teams at best in most sports to help fill out the league like baseball and softball.....If they can bring say 1000 fans to games on a regular basis for basketball Why is that worse then what Western puts out on a nightly basis.

I know the big worry is corporate sponsors. The only way Augie is going to get a foot hold on some corporate deals is they low ball to get corporate sponors. Lets face it, if you want to get your adds out and some radio coverage and signage, SDSU is the best option, USD would be 2nd, and Augie a Distant third. If they get corporate sponsors it will be for a fraction of the price but I cant really think a corporate sponsor from SF would drop SDSU or USD just to support Augie and their maybe 2000 students.....Sioux Falls has high schools with more students and fan support then Augie, so its not like a corporate brand is going to be reaching many people if they go for Augie. As of today I would worry more about corporate sponsors with coronavirus, or disinterest in college athletics then Augie stealing any major donor support. If anything Sanford would add to their portfolio of sponsorships instead of dropping others.

If Saint Thomas gets in, and Augie gets in and we end up at 11 members. that's 20 games for basketball already set. I know the non conference is enjoyable but some years getting good teams to play or anything to come to Frost is a challenge, so if we can add to conference games to solidify scheduling, that's not really a bad thing. Sort of screws with the travel partners type of schedule but conferences deal with that stuff all the time.

Saint Thomas isn't a guarantee, Denver isn't happy either way, who knows if UMKC can turn it around, Western is a shell of its self of the last 10 years...….Maybe in the next couple years Augie all of a sudden doesn't look that bad.

Like when you were in college, you saw a girl or guy(for the women who read this board), nothing special, but when you saw her/him next to their friends, all of a sudden they starts looking like a more attractive option. So basically what I am saying, we need to look at Augie like we have beer goggles on and maybe doesn't look as bad as we first thought (which means it still isn't great)………….

"The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

Just because its in Sioux falls probably more then it being Augie. Gives them something to push for locally. Not sure why else they would care. If Augie was in Mitchell, Sioux Fall media probably wouldn't even cover the move or only would for the day if they actually got into a conference. I if we need Augie to stabilize the conference we are in bigger trouble than that. Yet, I think what about other schools that are in the conference now, maybe in the future. Are any schools really excited to have UMKC back? ORU maybe since they are closer. Denver is only here because we are the best bad option for them. Western is hanging by a thread and barely can survive, ORU may think its time for green pastures again if they don't get back some of the success they had 10-15 years ago.....Augie might seem like let down and compete with SDSU and USD interests, but we didn't struggle when USD came, NDSU I doubt took a hit from UND coming on board. Augie is a small school who might be able to provide average teams at best in most sports to help fill out the league like baseball and softball.....If they can bring say 1000 fans to games on a regular basis for basketball Why is that worse then what Western puts out on a nightly basis.

I know the big worry is corporate sponsors. The only way Augie is going to get a foot hold on some corporate deals is they low ball to get corporate sponors. Lets face it, if you want to get your adds out and some radio coverage and signage, SDSU is the best option, USD would be 2nd, and Augie a Distant third. If they get corporate sponsors it will be for a fraction of the price but I cant really think a corporate sponsor from SF would drop SDSU or USD just to support Augie and their maybe 2000 students.....Sioux Falls has high schools with more students and fan support then Augie, so its not like a corporate brand is going to be reaching many people if they go for Augie. As of today I would worry more about corporate sponsors with coronavirus, or disinterest in college athletics then Augie stealing any major donor support. If anything Sanford would add to their portfolio of sponsorships instead of dropping others.

If Saint Thomas gets in, and Augie gets in and we end up at 11 members. that's 20 games for basketball already set. I know the non conference is enjoyable but some years getting good teams to play or anything to come to Frost is a challenge, so if we can add to conference games to solidify scheduling, that's not really a bad thing. Sort of screws with the travel partners type of schedule but conferences deal with that stuff all the time.

Saint Thomas isn't a guarantee, Denver isn't happy either way, who knows if UMKC can turn it around, Western is a shell of its self of the last 10 years...….Maybe in the next couple years Augie all of a sudden doesn't look that bad.

Like when you were in college, you saw a girl or guy(for the women who read this board), nothing special, but when you saw her/him next to their friends, all of a sudden they starts looking like a more attractive option. So basically what I am saying, we need to look at Augie like we have beer goggles on and maybe doesn't look as bad as we first thought (which means it still isn't great)………….
                        LOL. Off topic:
                        Best Bad Option would be a great name for a College Alt Rock band

Comment

LOL. Off topic:
                          Best Bad Option would be a great name for a College Alt Rock band
                          Yeah, my brothers band in college, The Blind Venetians. yes, they took the name from what you would expect. Sigh.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

• On a side note, Augie lists Fred Ward the actor as an alumni. Fun trivia for ya, he wore a Alumax Extrusions hat from Yankton, in the movie Tremors, staring Kevin Bacon......That's like 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon. I would post a picture of it but I suck at posting pics and links. goggle image it if you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post
                              On a side note, Augie lists Fred Ward the actor as an alumni. Fun trivia for ya, he wore a Alumax Extrusions hat from Yankton, in the movie Tremors, staring Kevin Bacon......That's like 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon. I would post a picture of it but I suck at posting pics and links. goggle image it if you want.
                              Also listed is David Soul AKA DAVID SOLBERG A real Viking, Getting back to topic, I had missed a few days of checking in here. KWSN seems to keep the fire going with this faceless authority on the thinking of presidents from SDSU and USD. Who knows how Harvey Dunn is thinking aka President Dunn. and the president of USD seems to have a very low profile and I don't even know he/she name, let alone how they feel about Augie joining the Summit.. This virus thing seems to silence a number of people, including yours truly.

My reference to Harvey Dunn was from an edition of the State Magazine, where the President Dunn mentioned that when a student, he was often referred to has Harvey Dunn by fellow students. Of course everyone knows of the well known artist from Manchester SD.

Comment

I don't know if it's a inferiority complex or what. Like, they are located in SF, and SF doesn't have a D1 School...so they think they should.

If they looked at it from the point of view of the actual schools that actually do have D1 programs, it's not a leap to see why they would or should be against it.

Augustana is NOT a D1 caliber school. They have a small academic base, they are extremely expensive, and they have limited physical space. How are they going to double the student population, when colleges and universities nationwide are losing students? There is literally NOTHING about Augustana that says "D1" except for the fact that they are in a city that doesn't have a D1 school. They will either lose their FB program, OR have it go non-scholarship.

And the ONLY people who seem to be pushing this narrative are some higher ups at Augie, and the SF radio and newspaper folks.
                                I agree very much with your remarks. The small college image is very much alive. It is going to take deep, deep pockets to change this image. It so different from a franchise like the Sky Farts. It has an education function too. Whether this function can be maintained and the same time trying to fund D1 athletics makes it a potential dumpster fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X