Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Augie still brings much more to the Summit than Western Illinois and UMKC.
    How so? Augie, as a tiny private school, brings to the table about what Oral Roberts does. That's about it. Augie's core base of support is limited and its games probably won't be a big draw anywhere but Brookings and Vermillion. Augie basketball fans and the Sioux Falls media seem to be the main people supporting the addition of another Dakota school to the Summit. I wonder what Augie football players and football fans think about this. The media rarely quotes them. They only talk about basketball.
    This space for lease.

Comment

• Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      Gaskins is an absolute genius. Just ask him. He will tell you. He shows a lot of his lack of knowledge on the situation in that few minutes. Omaha is a million people, that is what it has to do with, not the enrollment of the school. I'm not saying Augie couldn't be successful but it takes a level of funding that is way above where Augie is thinking to get to that point.

As for the big Augie crowd at the Summit, where are they going to get the tickets? Royal blue will dominate that tourney as long as it is in Sioux Falls.

Finally, there is no guarantee that they get in. Sure, they would love to be in the Summit but I'm not so sure that NDSU, USD, and SDSU are for it. Let's face it, those three are the strength of the league which carries a lot of weight.

It's kind of fun to see the Sioux Falls school get left out in the cold if you ask me. From a pure fan standpoint it would be fun to have them. I miss pounding those clowns.

SUPERBUNNY
      If Sanford money is propping up Augie in a DI move, then all of the Sanford money given to SDSU, USD, NDSU would put them in a tough position and feelings aside wouldn't they all ultimately have to "support" Summit League membership for Augie when the time comes?
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

• Tom Doupal, comissioner of the Summit League, said today (March 6) at a luncheon that Augie faces an "uphill climb" in getting into the Summit. Augie is a small school that wouldn't bring much new to the league. St. Thomas, in contrast, is a bigger school that would bring the Twins Cities into the league. St. Thomas would be the 10th member, which is the number of teams the league currently prefers. Other schools would like to get into the league, too, mostly to cash in on basketball. Doupal didn't identify any of the other candidate schools, however.
        This space for lease.

Comment

• It was nice to hear Douple put the KWSN guys in there place a little bit yesterday. I believe the term he used was “hogwash” in respect to their reporting that Augie is a sure thing. He also brought up some points against Augie that the Sioux Falls media never talks about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Tom Doupal, comissioner of the Summit League, said today (March 6) at a luncheon that Augie faces an "uphill climb" in getting into the Summit. Augie is a small school that wouldn't bring much new to the league. St. Thomas, in contrast, is a bigger school that would bring the Twins Cities into the league. St. Thomas would be the 10th member, which is the number of teams the league currently prefers. Other schools would like to get into the league, too, mostly to cash in on basketball. Doupal didn't identify any of the other candidate schools, however.
            Interesting report. At least we got a glimpse of Doupal position on this issue. Can not dispute this. It going to take time resources for this to happen.

Comment

• I suspect Doupal was expressing the current, collective opinion of member school presidents, since it's the presidents who ultimately will make the decision. That opinion could change, but I don't think Augie's chances are very good right now, especially if the NCAA grants St. Thomas a waiver to jump straight from D-3 to D-1.
              This space for lease.

Comment

• Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                It was nice to hear Douple put the KWSN guys in there place a little bit yesterday. I believe the term he used was “hogwash” in respect to their reporting that Augie is a sure thing. He also brought up some points against Augie that the Sioux Falls media never talks about.
                Can a guy listen to this interview online?

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Can a guy listen to this interview online?
                  https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...sibly-joining/

I listened to it for the first time. He made it it known it wasn’t a “done deal”.
                  Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 03-06-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Augie still brings much more to the Summit than Western Illinois and UMKC.
                    Lol....Augie doesn't bring anything to the table. Actually they knock one of the legs out from under the table, since their presence would only weaken the league by adding another mouth to feed in a market that is already saturated and completely owned by the league to begin with.

The only way Augie is brought in to the Summit is if the league is on its deathbed, sorry AugieGuyII.

Comment

• Yea, I'm sure the student athletes love playing in substandard and empty facilities in Macomb and soon to be UMKC. Everyone focused on enrollment which is irrelevant.

Comment

• All that Augie does is divide corporate sponsorship in Sioux Falls, they don't have the donor base of ORU (not even close). They are closer to a Centenary than a Creighton. The people pushing Augie are only looking at the positives.

Augie will fill the Pentagon, wow, what an addition to the SL. They better drop football if they want to be competitive in basketball.

Comment

Yea, I'm sure the student athletes love playing in substandard and empty facilities in Macomb and soon to be UMKC. Everyone focused on enrollment which is irrelevant.
                          I think the presidents are going to be more focused on endowment, academic prestige and offerings, alumni presence, adding a new media market, adding a presence in metro areas with a large number of high schools to recruit from as well as enrollment.

I do think Augie could field competitive teams in most sports, and I think they play in fine facilities, but is that enough? I think we can all agree a summit invite and move to DI would be beneficial to Augie’s goal of growth, but is it beneficial to the summit league?

Comment

• Augie played in-state rival Northern State a week ago at the Pentagon in the Northern Sun tourney. Attendance was 1,849, and about half the crowd was cheering for Northern.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

• Originally posted by LARabbit View Post

I think the presidents are going to be more focused on endowment, academic prestige and offerings, alumni presence, adding a new media market, adding a presence in metro areas with a large number of high schools to recruit from as well as enrollment.

I do think Augie could field competitive teams in most sports, and I think they play in fine facilities, but is that enough? I think we can all agree a summit invite and move to DI would be beneficial to Augie’s goal of growth, but is it beneficial to the summit league?
                              I agree, the presidents hold the power here, and the Augie machine better start putting up or shutting up as the train is about to announce the last call for boarding. I will say this that Doupal does not ignore endowments and right now Augie has a preception of not having much, Well Sioux Falls fans it time to put up or shut up.

Comment

• I don't think Augie is coming unless something happens. Tom couldn't have been more direct. He almost seemed p#ssed off at Augie for how public they have been.

He went after the kwsn hard.

https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...sibly-joining/

Comment

Working...
                                X