Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

I don't recall a vote tally being disclosed for any recent league addition. Ultimately, I suspect, all elections become unanimous.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      I don't recall a vote tally being disclosed for any recent league addition. Ultimately, I suspect, all elections become unanimous.
      I believe this is what happens. There needs to be a majority but they would only ever release a "unanimous" decision to the press.

Comment

Does anyone think Augie would be voted out? Maybe by PFW, but they're looking to get out anyway, as Douple knows well. Like the ugly prom date in a class with fifteen boys and six girls, the WAC would be all over any rejection. Travel is getting to be a bigger issue in athletic costs (snickers for Augie's increased football costs which would probably wipe out any scholarship savings), and a school with decent facilities and a short drive down 1-29 should have no problems.

It seems to me that the WAC is actively courting move-ups, Dixie State, for example. They seem a lot more proactive than the Summit. More desperate with the likes of Chicago State in the stable maybe.

Comment

Douple, at the SF Staters luncheon last week, was a little more forthcoming about his conversations with Augie. At the start of the Q&A session he got ahead of the question and came out and just told everyone that he's had "very little conversations with them." This is coming 2nd hand so if anyone that was there could better quote him that would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Douple, at the SF Staters luncheon last week, was a little more forthcoming about his conversations with Augie. At the start of the Q&A session he got ahead of the question and came out and just told everyone that he's had "very little conversations with them." This is coming 2nd hand so if anyone that was there could better quote him that would be helpful.
            He said as much on his radio interview on KWSN. He met Augie AD Morton at a Convention (for the first time) and has had a phone conversation w/ Herseth-Sandlin.

Comment

Idk if anyone has followed Wolford but they are pretty good this year at basketball and have an enrollment of 1,500 so I would not count Auggie out in at least making it work in D1

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...d-college-3457

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
                Idk if anyone has followed Wolford but they are pretty good this year at basketball and have an enrollment of 1,500 so I would not count Auggie out in at least making it work in D1

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...d-college-3457
                Wofford has done well. But nearly any viable college can compete in basketball. Competing in football and more than a dozen other D-1 sports for men and women will be the challenge. The more rumblings I hear about Augustana finances and related issues, the less convinced I am that the school will be able to succeed at the next level.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Wofford has done well. But nearly any viable college can compete in basketball. Competing in football and more than a dozen other D-1 sports for men and women will be the challenge. The more rumblings I hear about Augustana finances and related issues, the less convinced I am that the school will be able to succeed at the next level.
                  Wofford also made it to the second round of the FCS playoffs this year and finished 13th in the FCS rankings.

Comment

Wofford is an established DI school in a state of 5 million people.

I have many concerns with Augie but first is if Sanford's CEO wasn't pushing for it, is the league thinking it needs Augie? I very much doubt it, not unless it was on its deathbed.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                      Wofford is an established DI school in a state of 5 million people.

I have many concerns with Augie but first is if Sanford's CEO wasn't pushing for it, is the league thinking it needs Augie? I very much doubt it, not unless it was on its deathbed.
                      Exactly. It appears that roughly a half dozen people, including Augie's new president, are pushing the move, and the Sioux Falls sports media is lapping it up like the scoop of the decade.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Exactly. It appears that roughly a half dozen people, including Augie's new president, are pushing the move, and the Sioux Falls sports media is lapping it up like the scoop of the decade.
                        It's going to happen regardless of what you, I or others feel about it.

Comment

I can’t believe how many people think that enrollment is a factor in going D1. It is not. Rice in Houston has a very tiny enrollment and has been competing at D1 for many decades before SDSU even thought about it. It’s about $$$$ and Augie will need that to make this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            It's going to happen regardless of what you, I or others feel about it.
                            I know I'm repeating myself a bit, but I'd like to see the Summit allow them (Augie) to prove they are a viable D1 university without the help of geographically advantageous summit league. Right now they need the Summit much more then the summit needs them. While that could change unless it does let them UND it in the Big Sky or something.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              While that could change unless it does let them UND it in the Big Sky or something.
                              I am not sure of what you are saying. Would you mind explaining it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I am not sure of what you are saying. Would you mind explaining it?
                                Unless the summit league needs them to keep the auto-bid let them try and make it without the summit like UND thought they could in the Big Sky. By the Time the Summit is in dire need of them they will be begging to join the summit or be relegated back to the NSIC

Comment

Working...
                                X