Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Augie to the Summit?

discoDancinJackrabbit Guest

Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    Personally I think the move is not a good idea, but what I think does not matter to the movers and shakers in SF. I agree the NCIS is a good fit for all of Augustana sports. A move to be successful for Augustana is going to be very expensive. SDSU budget for scholarships this year is 4.1 million dollars. That of course includes 63 football and I donít how many equestrian scholarships. The 4.1 figure is from Jackrabbit Club brochure. The brochure stated about 40k for each full ride. I have no idea what full costs would be at a private school but no doubt much more and a Cracker Jack fund raiser is badly needed to make up extra costs through corporate sponsorships.
    what exactly does augie think theyíre gaining by moving up into this situation ? There football program would have to be downgraded and that would look bad with that nice stadium they got. Going to the ncaa tourney and playing in the Denny Sanford ? No way they hang with us. I would enjoy watching it tho.

Augie would have to make some significant investment to support football in the MVFC. Scholarship levels would go way up, and if they added cost of living to be competitive, that would add even more expense. Then take a look at the stadium improvements. This is how Kirkeby-Over Stadium stacks up against MVFC schools for seating.

YSU: 20,630
    SDSU: 19,300
    NDSU: 19,000
    Missouri State: 17,500
    Western Illinois: 16,368 (largest crowd was 19,850)
    UNI: 16,324
    Southern Illinois: 15,000
    Illinois State: 13,391
    Indiana State: 12,764
    USD: 10,000
    Augie: 6,500

Most accept that ISU blue has the worst facilities and they are working on plans to replace Memorial Stadium. USD has a dome, but it was built for a DII program and they've had to get buy with modest improvements.

If Augie were serious about maximizing their fan base in the Sioux Falls metro, they'd have to look at least 15,000 seats and likely closer to 20,000. That is a major expense for facility upgrades. That's just for a football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    It is very likely that I would be an Augie basketball season ticket holder if they were in the Summit.
    So you can scout SDSU’s opponents?

just kidding with you btw I wonder how many of you there are

Quote Originally Posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
    So you can scout SDSU’s opponents?
    I like basketball. I've thought about getting Augie tickets for the last 3-5 years, they have competitive teams in a quality DII league. Last year I made a call, but never got a call back or I would likely have tickets right now.

SDSU season tickets aren't realistic due to Thursday games, travel time, and work/family commitments.

If I had SDSU season tickets, I might be able to make 6 games a year. Right now I go to between 1-3.

I could make it to 90% of Augie's home games, they are within 10 minutes of my home and work, and I would be familiar with the competition (including a game against SDSU). And Augie sells beer at their games. Ha.
    ďI used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what Iím with isnít it, and whatís it seems scary and wierd. Itíll happen to you.Ē ó Abe Simpson

what exactly does augie think theyíre gaining by moving up into this situation ? There football program would have to be downgraded and that would look bad with that nice stadium they got. Going to the ncaa tourney and playing in the Denny Sanford ? No way they hang with us. I would enjoy watching it tho.
    Perhaps those who favor this think they are close to Loyola-Chicago or even DePaul. Idk itís crazy and over the heads of good old S.D. common sense. As JackJD said, itís nothing we can do to stop them

I like basketball. I've thought about getting Augie tickets for the last 3-5 years, they have competitive teams in a quality DII league. Last year I made a call, but never got a call back or I would likely have tickets right now.

SDSU season tickets aren't realistic due to Thursday games, travel time, and work/family commitments.

If I had SDSU season tickets, I might be able to make 6 games a year. Right now I go to between 1-3.

I could make it to 90% of Augie's home games, they are within 10 minutes of my home and work, and I would be familiar with the competition (including a game against SDSU). And Augie sells beer at their games. Ha.
    👍🏻 Makes sense.

���� Makes sense.
    Mainly just because they sell beer.

Thread drift warning:

Agreed. This is why SDSU's basketball attendance isn't that great even when we have great teams. It's so hard for people outside of Brookings to make it work on a consistent basis. There are only 8 games on a Friday or Saturday this year. I usually make it to 5 or 6 games a year, and they're always on the weekend. Btw, I will probably up that to 10 or 12 and make some week nights work once Frost is renovated. We have discussed the effect the renovation will have before, so I'll stop there.

Most college sports fans in Sioux Falls won't embrace Augie. Fan loyalties in the city will continue to be divided among SDSU, USD, Augie, USF, Iowa, Neb, Iowa State, Minn, Dakota State and several other colleges. And roughly in that order. What's sad is that the in-state schools will all be chasing the same, small base of corporate support.
    "Nobody thought there'd be days like these. Strange days, indeed." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Justwin View Post
    You don't think Augie would increase attendance at the SLT? To my knowledge we have never sold out the Denny?
    The Denny was about 800 short of a sellout for the championship game this year. There will be plenty of tickets for Augie fans in the upper level. Augie joining might get more SDSU and usd fans to buy all tournament passes or they will be sitting at home watching on TV.