Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

I'm not opposed to Augie moving up to Division 1. I say "knock yourselves out, Augie boosters!" HOWEVER, I am not in favor of Augie's admission to the Summit League (or, MVFC but I don't see a chance of Augie being admitted to MVFC).

A D-1 Augie but not the Summit can satisfy the "another local D-1 opponent" crowd for those so inclined.

I'm not as concerned as some posters about Augie incroaching much on financial support and recruiting.

[Also in favor of Thumper chilling out! Thumper: you're going to blow a gasket on this one! And then small minds on other message boards will write about "ALL SDSU fans" when it will just be you foaming and drooling. ]

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      Yep. Make the pay the hell out of us to make up for the money Augie is going to leech away from us. If they threaten to pull donations, fine. This stunt was going to cost us tons of money anyways from a fundraising standpoint, and guess what. SDSU will be around anyways and eventually they’re going to want back in on us. Put the serious squeeze on them if they want to be little bastards.

When you changing your name to AugieGuyII champ.

I don’t like it because your leech asses want to jump into something that SDSU fans made great while stealing sponsors from SDSU athletics that we will need. SDSU fans made the SLT a huge deal and your punk ass school got jealous and want to horn in on it after we did the work. I hope you guys go the route of Centenary for this bull**** coattail riding and guaranteed leeching away of our resources. GTFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The SLT games I've gone to rarely involved sponsors linked with specific institutions. Rather, they were sponsors for the tourney overall.

Personally, I'm confident the Jacks can best Augie in vying for corporate sponsors. Plus, there's a chance regional teams could approach sponsors like Scheels or Midco to formalize a regional rivalry promotion serving to benefit multiple teams (similar to the Marker, Showdown Series, etc.) involving teams like the Bison, Jacks, Augie, and the 'Yotes along the I-29 Corridor. Maybe the trophy could be a golden snowplow, funded by Freightliner

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I'm not opposed to Augie moving up to Division 1. I say "knock yourselves out, Augie boosters!" HOWEVER, I am not in favor of Augie's admission to the Summit League (or, MVFC but I don't see a chance of Augie being admitted to MVFC).

A D-1 Augie but not the Summit can satisfy the "another local D-1 opponent" crowd for those so inclined.

I'm not as concerned as some posters about Augie incroaching much on financial support and recruiting.

[Also in favor of Thumper chilling out! Thumper: you're going to blow a gasket on this one! And then small minds on other message boards will write about "ALL SDSU fans" when it will just be you foaming and drooling. ]
        Better get used to the idea of Augie in the Summit as it's going to happen. Another regional team that hopefully helps improve interest in games in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          I don’t like it because your leech asses want to jump into something that SDSU fans made great while stealing sponsors from SDSU athletics that we will need. SDSU fans made the SLT a huge deal and your punk ass school got jealous and want to horn in on it after we did the work. I hope you guys go the route of Centenary for this bull**** coattail riding and guaranteed leeching away of our resources. GTFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Ok cool. Hook 'em

Comment

I recall one year when the Summit Tourney was still at the Arena. The SDSU men were playing Fort Wayne, I think it was. I was impressed because about 25 high-energy, college-aged guys decked out in Fort Wayne stuff were sitting in end-zone seats, cheering enthusiastically for Fort Wayne and booing SDSU. It turns out that they were Augie students, not true Fort Wayne fans. I thought that was a bratty move for fans from another South Dakota school. Before that game, I occasionally cheered for Augie. I don't do that any more.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              I recall one year when the Summit Tourney was still at the Arena. The SDSU men were playing Fort Wayne, I think it was. I was impressed because about 25 high-energy, college-aged guys decked out in Fort Wayne stuff were sitting in end-zone seats, cheering enthusiastically for Fort Wayne and booing SDSU. It turns out that they were Augie students, not true Fort Wayne fans. I thought that was a bratty move for fans from another South Dakota school. Before that game, I occasionally cheered for Augie. I don't do that any more.
              Are you sure that wasn’t Western Illinois for the championship. Western went to Augie’s campus and recruited students with free pizza and beverages.

Comment

If you're talking about the SDSU-Western Illinois Championship game then that was absolutely true and I was a part of it. We got free tickets and t shirts from Western for our efforts, which seems like a fair exchange of services. When the crowd figured out what was going on a hearty "Augie sucks" chant broke out and the guy sitting behind us bellowed it out with such gusto I had no choice but to dap him up.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Better get used to the idea of Augie in the Summit as it's going to happen. Another regional team that hopefully helps improve interest in games in Brookings.
                  No argument here. The plan has been announced. I guessing that Stephanie Herseth and board have a Creighton vision in mind. The PR mentions building three more dorms. Creighton as everyone knows depends on Omaha business community. Over the decades they built the support. Time and a hard working staff are necessary to make this work. Creighton has a med and law schools. It’s possible Augustana could have one some day depending on SF future growth.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    If it happens, I'll adjust and will move on. But don't kid yourself about improving interest in games in Brookings. For me, and I think many others, the consequence of Augie joining the SL will likely include a decline in interest in SL basketball and an increase (or return to) interest in higher-level conferences. That's where I was before SDSU moved up to D-1. I liked following SDSU but my time available to follow college athletics was significantly devoted to following the Big10 and, to a little lesser extent, the Big12.

As a kid, living in Watertown, I grew up with the StarTribune as the morning and weekend newspaper and the local paper, the Public Opinion, as the afternoon daily. Radio was almost always WCCO with Ray Christensen as the 'voice of the Gophers' making the call. When cable TV arrived, we had Minneapolis TV channels to select from. When I was a student at SDSU (lettered four years in track) and then at USD, I continued to follow the Big 10. When SDSU's President Miller and AD Oien announced we were moving to D-1, I recall Pres. Miller stating we were joining our peer institutions. I got very interested in SDSU athletics and the time spent following the Big 10 diminished to almost nothing. I bought SDSU season tickets in football and basketball.

When SDSU resolved to move to D-1, I thought that finally shook off the 'ah, shucks, little old SDSU just isn't good enough to play with the big boys' complex that seems to plague a lot of what goes on - or doesn't go on -- in this State. Joining with Augie in an athletic conference is a step back. It is inconsistent with the spirit that caused us to move to D-1.

Augie is not our peer. The two institutions are markedly different. (Note I'm not saying good or bad: just markedly different.) If SDSU and the rest of the SL vote to essentially accept Augie, some fans we have attracted will drift and adjust. I desire to watch upper-level playing competition. Why would I watch Augustana? Why would I pay as much attention to the SL if Augie is in it?

I was graduated from SDSU in 1976. I didn't watch SDSU basketball in person until a neighborhood kid named Brian Norberg grew up and became the starting guard for the Jacks. Then I started going to a few games. I haven't watched Augie play in person since I left SDSU. I have watched Augie on TV a couple of times including that great game in which the Dan Jensen-led Vikings beat Iowa. Once SDSU moved up, I locked in as a fan of SDSU, the MVFC and the SL. I haven't missed a SL tourney since we joined the conference. I've had a great time at every one of the SL tourneys. But, the SL tourney happens to fall on an ideal time of the year to get to some warm weather...pretty easy to skip watching Augustana play basketball and head off to a favorite place in southern California. I can read the box score and game summary on the internet.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 12-16-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Yes, UWM, it must have been the Western Illinois game. Augieholic confirms that, too. Regardless of SDSU's opponent, I thought the behavior of the Augie students wreaked of jealousy and sour grapes.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        Are you sure that wasn’t Western Illinois for the championship. Western went to Augie’s campus and recruited students with free pizza and beverages.
                        Yes, as Augieholic confirms, it must have been Western Illinois. Regardless, I thought the Augie students' behavior reeked of jealousy and sour grapes.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Yes, UWM, it must have been the Western Illinois game. Augieholic confirms that, too. Regardless of SDSU's opponent, I thought the behavior of the Augie students wreaked of jealousy and sour grapes.
                          I thought it reeked of beer and pizza. Actually, I thought it was clever and very funny. I was told a WIU administrator was friends with an Augie administrator and so for the price of a T-shirt, and beer and pizza: instant fans!

Comment

Augie will now play most of its games at the Pentagon.

https://twitter.com/GoAugie/status/1103347142704418817

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Augie will now play most of its games at the Pentagon.

https://twitter.com/GoAugie/status/1103347142704418817
                              We'll save a couple seats for you in 2022 or so.

Comment

Does the NSIC have a rule that the conference tournament cannot be played on the home court of a participant ?

Comment

Working...
                                X