Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Where are they going to get the money from on a consistent basis? They don’t have the room to seriously grow their enrollment, so the money will have to come from corporate sponsorships. Guess who that hurts. Us. Here comes Centenary 2.0 with the improved features of being a drag on our fundraising AS WELL as being a drag on the conference. What a JOKE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The long term plan associated with the D1 announcement includes plans for 3 new dormitories.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
      The long term plan associated with the D1 announcement includes plans for 3 new dormitories.
      So what, 700 students? 1000? That ain’t even in the right stratosphere for what you’re going to need for cash unless you go JMU on them and just ravage them for fees.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

There are quite a few schools smaller than SDSU and USD in D1 most of those are private and that's why it works. Gotta be D1 to be relevant these days

Comment

Where are they going to get the money from on a consistent basis? They don’t have the room to seriously grow their enrollment, so the money will have to come from corporate sponsorships. Guess who that hurts. Us. Here comes Centenary 2.0 with the improved features of being a drag on our fundraising AS WELL as being a drag on the conference. What a JOKE.

The non-profit hospital down the street is my assumption for their funding. Look at the states around us, we don’t have a million people in our state yet will now have 3 D-1 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
            The non-profit hospital down the street is my assumption for their funding. Look at the states around us, we don’t have a million people in our state yet will now have 3 D-1 schools.
            You think they’re going to get their entire budget funded by Sanford every year and it WOULDN’T hurt our own fundraising efforts from our largest donor? You serious, Clark?

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

You think they’re going to get their entire budget funded by Sanford every year and it WOULDN’T hurt our own fundraising efforts from our largest donor? You serious, Clark?

Of course I don’t think Sanford will fulfill their budget every year but I think they’ll be key to building the foundation. I work in healthcare and the idea of a non-profit spending money like they do irks me but that’s a whole different debate. My concern with South Dakota’s population being so small ties more into fan base size and individual financial support. SDSU/USD have failed to fully take advantage of Sioux Falls in my opinion but Augie now joining certainly will hurt efforts to further increase attendance and support.

Comment

So what, 700 students? 1000? That ain’t even in the right stratosphere for what you’re going to need for cash unless you go JMU on them and just ravage them for fees.

Increased enrollment obviously wont fund the entire move but it is a component of it. The other piece is ramping up fund raising both from individuals, which should be easier with the D1 decision out in the open, and corporate sponsors. No one piece will get it done and it will take a while but the Sioux Falls market is ripe for D1 athletics.

Comment

PFW is not going to like 6 trips to the Dakotas

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                    Increased enrollment obviously wont fund the entire move but it is a component of it. The other piece is ramping up fund raising both from individuals, which should be easier with the D1 decision out in the open, and corporate sponsors. No one piece will get it done and it will take a while but the Sioux Falls market is ripe for D1 athletics.
                    Wrestling gone?
                    Wonder what Bob Hall’s feeling is or is he okay with any type of football regardless of non-scholarship (if that is the route they are taking)?

Comment

South Dakota will now be the smallest state in the union with 3 Division 1 universities. Rhode Island has 4 DI colleges with a population of 1 million. However, the northeast corridor is once of the most densely populated areas of the country, and is probably not a good apples to apples comparison. Idaho, at 1.7 million people, is probably a better comparison. In Idaho, BSU is in Boise in the southwest portion of the state, ISU is in far eastern Idaho, and UI is in Moscow, in the northern Idaho panhandle. All of those schools are 4 hours or more apart. South Dakota will now have 3 DI universities within a 90 mile corridor. This move is all about Sioux Falls, and pretty well explains why we struggle with attendance. If the SF community ends up making this work for Augie, they would essentially be saying that they'd rather have a D2 move up in town than support their state schools 45 minutes away. If that's the case, the Jacks and Yotes were never going to capture the Sioux Falls market anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        Wrestling gone?
                        Wonder what Bob Hall’s feeling is or is he okay with any type of football regardless of non-scholarship (if that is the route they are taking)?
                        Wrestling is in tough spot, not a lot of conference options in this area and it's highly unlikely the Big 12 would extend an invite.

Bob has obviously done a TON for Augie athletics especially football and while I have no idea about his feelings I'm guessing he could be convinced to support football regardless of the level. Also, not to be ungrateful or insensitive to what Bob has done because he changed the athletic landscape on campus, but I believe his big money gifts have been given.

As Zim has tweeted tonight and some of us have felt for a while, Augie is a basketball school and this move cements it. That doesnt mean they'll compete right away but they have D1 facilities (Arena isnt perfect but it's adequate), fanbase, and Tom Billeter. Thats a fantastic foundation to build on.

Sadly this may be the end of the Krauthketball era, but they should be able to attract a helluva replacement.

Comment

Does this mean we will have to listen to another local fan base whine about not being able to buy lower level center court tickets at the Denny in March (but only for the games they want to attend) ?

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            PFW is not going to like 6 trips to the Dakotas
                            Who cares! Horizon doesnt want them. Worst facilities and fan support in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                              A bunch of pissed of schools that don't have "Dakota" in their name.
                              Nobody in ND wants Augie in the league...may as well add Moorhead State or Crookston next...what a joke.

Augie makes UMKC look like Duke.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                                Nobody in ND wants Augie in the league...may as well add Moorhead State or Crookston next...what a joke.
                                Dont blame you as Augie will own your pathetic basketball teams in a short period of time if not immediately!

Comment

Working...
                                X