Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Augie in the Pioneer will be nice for them, they can get NDSU, SDSU, UNI, UND and USD to cut them checks for money games with minimal travel involved. That would help to offset a lot of the football costs.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
      Augie in the Pioneer will be nice for them, they can get NDSU, SDSU, UNI, UND and USD to cut them checks for money games with minimal travel involved. That would help to offset a lot of the football costs.
      Don't they already lose to USF almost every year in FB?

Comment

This is very interesting fodder. One thing that still bugs me is the perceived lack of commitment to travel for fans between Sioux Falls and Brookings (or Vermillion). It was posted a few pages ago that Kansas City has a variety of professional sports and the Kansas Jayhawks. In another post, that Omaha has Creighton. Yet Creighton is still second fiddle to the Huskers. (I do know of several sports fans from Omaha that are not big Husker fans but are fans of Creighton basketball/baseball or UNO hockey.)

Back to travel. Kansas City residents apparently support KU athletics and are willing to travel 35 to 45 miles to Lawrence on I-70 to see their beloved Jayhawks play, even during the winter. (KU's football fans are a little more lackluster, but they haven't had many seasons where they've been winners.) If anyone doubts the rabid following of Husker football from Omaha has not been on I-80 during fall Saturdays. That trek is 50 to 60 miles for a huge portion of the 90,000 fans that still sell out when they've set records for losing. Yet, driving the 55 to 60 miles to Brookings on I-29 is too far to become loyal fans is disturbing to me. All three options are roughly 1 hour drives and while I haven't done all three, I suspect the trek between Brookings and Sioux Falls has to have the least amount of congestion.

I get that comparing the Jackrabbits to the Huskers or Jayhawks are on somewhat different levels, but we're not expecting to get 20,000 fans from Sioux Falls to Brookings for football or even 5,000 fans for basketball. It's the culture and tradition that has made traveling an hour to see collegiate programs a big deal for sports fans, regardless if they are in Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota. I still believe as we continue to build on our strong and competitive programs in the D1 era that the fan base will build from Sioux Falls, with or without Augie in the equation. Just don't tell me that Brookings is too far from Sioux Falls to be a viable D1 program that can sellout venues. It will happen.

I too would welcome Augie to the Summit, especially for baseball. However, I'm afraid another South Dakota team in the MVFC would cause multiple problems. Oversaturation of Dakota teams for the rest of the league and too much competition for regional talent. I love seeing regional talent from South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska dominate our roster. There is no doubt in my mind that NDSU and SDSU's success is built on the regional talent that fills our rosters with portions of talent coming from targeted recruiting areas in other areas of the country. USD does not have the same success pulling regional talent as the xDSUs do. Add Augie into the equation and it may dilute the talent and success on the gridiron.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          This is very interesting fodder. One thing that still bugs me is the perceived lack of commitment to travel for fans between Sioux Falls and Brookings (or Vermillion). It was posted a few pages ago that Kansas City has a variety of professional sports and the Kansas Jayhawks. In another post, that Omaha has Creighton. Yet Creighton is still second fiddle to the Huskers. (I do know of several sports fans from Omaha that are not big Husker fans but are fans of Creighton basketball/baseball or UNO hockey.)

Back to travel. Kansas City residents apparently support KU athletics and are willing to travel 35 to 45 miles to Lawrence on I-70 to see their beloved Jayhawks play, even during the winter. (KU's football fans are a little more lackluster, but they haven't had many seasons where they've been winners.) If anyone doubts the rabid following of Husker football from Omaha has not been on I-80 during fall Saturdays. That trek is 50 to 60 miles for a huge portion of the 90,000 fans that still sell out when they've set records for losing. Yet, driving the 55 to 60 miles to Brookings on I-29 is too far to become loyal fans is disturbing to me. All three options are roughly 1 hour drives and while I haven't done all three, I suspect the trek between Brookings and Sioux Falls has to have the least amount of congestion.

I get that comparing the Jackrabbits to the Huskers or Jayhawks are on somewhat different levels, but we're not expecting to get 20,000 fans from Sioux Falls to Brookings for football or even 5,000 fans for basketball. It's the culture and tradition that has made traveling an hour to see collegiate programs a big deal for sports fans, regardless if they are in Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota. I still believe as we continue to build on our strong and competitive programs in the D1 era that the fan base will build from Sioux Falls, with or without Augie in the equation. Just don't tell me that Brookings is too far from Sioux Falls to be a viable D1 program that can sellout venues. It will happen.

I too would welcome Augie to the Summit, especially for baseball. However, I'm afraid another South Dakota team in the MVFC would cause multiple problems. Oversaturation of Dakota teams for the rest of the league and too much competition for regional talent. I love seeing regional talent from South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska dominate our roster. There is no doubt in my mind that NDSU and SDSU's success is built on the regional talent that fills our rosters with portions of talent coming from targeted recruiting areas in other areas of the country. USD does not have the same success pulling regional talent as the xDSUs do. Add Augie into the equation and it may dilute the talent and success on the gridiron.
          I recall driving from Columbus to a Northwest Missouri and taking I-90 on game day in Lincoln. Traffic was coming from Omaha going to Lincoln much like you described. Quite a site to behold. On SDSU game day traffic is on the sparse side. Living in Arlington I drive everywhere so it’s not a big deal. As far diluting talent if Augie where to move up, I suspect the recruiting boundaries will only expand outward. We seem to be recruiting Chicago-Milwaukee areas pretty heavy now. And of Arizona and California for football.

Comment

If Augie joins the non-scholarship Pioneer League for football, it might want to ask Mr. Sanford to buy it a large jet. The conference has members in states ranging from New York to Florida to California.
            This space for lease.

Comment

We all know that a university doesn't just decide to join a conference. It has to be invited. Let's suppose that inviting Augie gets put on the agenda. There may be three or more universities away from the Dakotas who don't want to make more trips here than they already make. Let's also suppose that those three or more university presidents whisper in other presidents' ears in the hall as they gather for said meeting that they will seek a way out of the Summit with more vigor and urgency than in the past if that travel is forced upon them. Will the Dakota based presidents vote to add Augie if it means the possible departure of three or more other members?
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                We all know that a university doesn't just decide to join a conference. It has to be invited. Let's suppose that inviting Augie gets put on the agenda. There may be three or more universities away from the Dakotas who don't want to make more trips here than they already make. Let's also suppose that those three or more university presidents whisper in other presidents' ears in the hall as they gather for said meeting that they will seek a way out of the Summit with more vigor and urgency than in the past if that travel is forced upon them. Will the Dakota based presidents vote to add Augie if it means the possible departure of three or more other members?
                Let's be serious Augie wont go that far until they have been assured of admittance to the Summit. These decisions are made well before a formal vote is taken.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Nobody wants Augie in the MVFC, I don't think you have much to worry about that. It is non-scholarship or no football if they go DI.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    I think he’s referring to location in terms of growth. I had a professor in college who told me SDSU would be twice as big as it is in Brookings. That was his opinion but I’m not sure it was wrong.
                    I can state with near certainty that your professor is wrong. I think the test tube model for that hypothesis is a few hours North in Fargo. How big is NDSU? Not twice as large as SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Creighton wasn't always the big deal they are today. It takes time, but they had a large market to work with just like Augie will.
                      Big difference would be the conference and the backing. Like I said, Creighton has pretty much always been #2 in Nebraska. If Augie moves to #2 in SD, the U and State have done something horribly wrong.
                      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Yes
                        Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                        I can state with near certainty that your professor is wrong. I think the test tube model for that hypothesis is a few hours North in Fargo. How big is NDSU? Not twice as large as SDSU.
                        The professor was puffing and not practicing science that day. The competition for higher education opportunities in Sioux Falls is already intense. Augustana moving to D1 will not have any immediate affect, they will have add graduate programs and will have to market to general public. Perhaps a cost prohibitive venture that could quickly eat up a huge donation. I might add USF reduced tuition on courses and promoted the reductions. I don’t know how that work out.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-23-2018, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                          Big difference would be the conference and the backing. Like I said, Creighton has pretty much always been #2 in Nebraska. If Augie moves to #2 in SD, the U and State have done something horribly wrong.
                          Creighton is pretty much all there is after Nebraska so not hard to be #2. Until their basketball team took fire they were a distant #2. Dont forget not that long ago they were in the Missouri Valley and not in the Qwest center.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Creighton is pretty much all there is after Nebraska so not hard to be #2. Until their basketball team took fire they were a distant #2. Dont forget not that long ago they were in the Missouri Valley and not in the Qwest center.
                            Yeah. I am thinking back to the 1990's when all my parents read was the World Herald. First big thing Creighton did (that I remember) was make the College World Series. Basketball didn't arrive until mid-2000's, if I am remembering correctly.

Really there is UNL, and there is everyone else. I think Augie has to compete with USD and SDSU much like Drake has to compete with ISU and Iowa (even UNI) for general viewership and attendance. Both Augie and Drake have the larger population base, but rarely do children grow up as Augie or Drake first fans. I believe (but no facts) that Creighton has been the primary school for Nebraska kids for sometime now (1980's or so). Especially those whose first love is basketball and not football.
                            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Not a good look. Is Augie really ready ($) to make the jump.
                              http://www.augiemirror.com/change-in...pset-athletes/

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Not a good look. Is Augie really ready ($) to make the jump.
                                http://www.augiemirror.com/change-in...pset-athletes/
                                A 300-meter outdoor track? Dumb. Practice facility only. Best use of resources is to have an indoor facility. If you have an indoor facility, then build an outdoor facility when ready (e.g. USD and, someday, SDSU). But if you're going to build an outdoor-only facility, build it correctly with a regulation 400-meter track.

Do I see on the drawing, the markings for throwing javelin inside the track? I don't think tracks built these days provide for holding the javelin throw on the track infield. Every once is a while a javelin gets loose and goes astray (as in 1975 when SDSU's top pole vaulter, the favorite to win the NCC pole vault title, "caught" an errant javelin in his thigh during the NCC Outdoor Championships at old Sexauer Field at SDSU. Our vaulter got a trip to the hospital and a lot of people realized how lucky we were that the javelin "only" stuck him in the leg (it actually stuck -- like a spear thrown in a movie -- and he pulled it out after he collapsed to the ground). Mankato's vaulter went on to win the conference title. Our vaulter had qualified for the national meet and even attempted to vault there but he had not fully recovered from the injury. I was about eight feet away from our vaulter when the javelin hit him.

I suppose the field could be marked for the discus too...that, too, is too dangerous to throw inside the track unless it is scheduled for a time when no running events are being held and no athletes are warming up or otherwise using the facility.
                                Last edited by JackJD; 12-08-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X