Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Augie or USD grad? Your vision as expressed in your post suggests you're looking through deeply colored glasses of some sort.
    I think he’s referring to location in terms of growth. I had a professor in college who told me SDSU would be twice as big as it is in Brookings. That was his opinion but I’m not sure it was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I think he’s referring to location in terms of growth. I had a professor in college who told me SDSU would be twice as big as it is in Brookings. That was his opinion but I’m not sure it was wrong.
      Understood. My comment "Augie or USD grad?" is directed at the poster's allegiance. I don't think he's an SDSU fan.

I suggest that the size of the universities in SD is significantly affected by the pool of high school graduates. In my view, there aren't enough high school grads in the region to grow SDSU to twice its size no matter where it's located. There are too many other colleges and universities in the region competing for the same students. I expect to see SDSU's enrollment to stay pretty steady in the 12,500 range and it may be that 13,000 is about as large as it will ever be.

Comment

Every once in a while in the discussion about Augie's future, someone throws out a big donation figure. Mr76 wrote $100 million. Is anyone aware of any credible source reporting that Augie will receive in support of a move to D1, a $100 million donation? $50 million? $25 million? (I've read K Krabenhoft's offer to assist in fund raising etc. but I don't recall anyone saying anything about a $100 million donation.)

Comment

I don't know what will happen but right now it costs $8 (two years ago) to go to an Augie game. If they go DI and ticket prices raise, will they bring in a lot more fans since they are D1?
          I guess if they win, fans will show up. They do have an outdoor stadium so that will factor in too. People don't like getting cold. Years ago people were tougher that they are now. High schools didn't have central air, wood basketball courts and other things like that. It is just the way things are.

Comment

Understood. My comment "Augie or USD grad?" is directed at the poster's allegiance. I don't think he's an SDSU fan.

I suggest that the size of the universities in SD is significantly affected by the pool of high school graduates. In my view, there aren't enough high school grads in the region to grow SDSU to twice its size no matter where it's located. There are too many other colleges and universities in the region competing for the same students. I expect to see SDSU's enrollment to stay pretty steady in the 12,500 range and it may be that 13,000 is about as large as it will ever be.
            That could be true but at the same time being in Sioux Falls would help attract corporate dollars for research etc. That in turn attracts students. Also I’m sure there are many students who want nothing to do with a college in a small town like Brookings. Being in Sioux Falls gives the kids more to do. Does that mean double enrollment? Maybe....maybe not.

Comment

Every once in a while in the discussion about Augie's future, someone throws out a big donation figure. Mr76 wrote $100 million. Is anyone aware of any credible source reporting that Augie will receive in support of a move to D1, a $100 million donation? $50 million? $25 million? (I've read K Krabenhoft's offer to assist in fund raising etc. but I don't recall anyone saying anything about a $100 million donation.)
              I dont think the mystery donor is Boone Pickens, he talks funny, and is not a Lutheran that I am aware of. Boone did reward his alma mater Oklahoma State quite handsomely with a huge donation. Perhaps these folks are confused and think that Kelby's offer to help in fund raising means that Denny has a 100 million in idle funds in some bank account waiting Augustana University. These rumors often have substance who details are distorted.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Creighton.
                I would go more with Drake in Des Moines. Creighton really is the second team in Nebraska. Drake along with Augie is that 3rd/4th team line depending on family allegiances and location (SDSU and USD are 1/2 obviously).
                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                  I would go more with Drake in Des Moines. Creighton really is the second team in Nebraska. Drake along with Augie is that 3rd/4th team line depending on family allegiances and location (SDSU and USD are 1/2 obviously).
                  Creighton wasn't always the big deal they are today. It takes time, but they had a large market to work with just like Augie will.

Comment

The rumor is that Kelby Krabbenhoft is pledging pile of Sanford money (more than $100 million) if Augie goes D-1. An enormous gift like that is about the only thing that would make a small, private college like Augie a viable D-1 school.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Don't believe everything you here. Certainly, Sanford would make a very nice and sizable gift. However, it is still a non-profit with a diverse Board of Directors that would make this call. Despite how powerful Kelby is...he doesn't just get to spend $100M however he pleases lol. Also, they are openly in merger discussions with multiple other healthcare organizations. When those lead to new territories large good will gifts in those communities usually follow. In summary, Sanford Health would make a very nice gift to help Augie - it would be nowhere near $100M.

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      The rumor is that Kelby Krabbenhoft is pledging pile of Sanford money (more than $100 million) if Augie goes D-1. An enormous gift like that is about the only thing that would make a small, private college like Augie a viable D-1 school.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                        Don't believe everything you here. Certainly, Sanford would make a very nice and sizable gift. However, it is still a non-profit with a diverse Board of Directors that would make this call. Despite how powerful Kelby is...he doesn't just get to spend $100M however he pleases lol. Also, they are openly in merger discussions with multiple other healthcare organizations. When those lead to new territories large good will gifts in those communities usually follow. In summary, Sanford Health would make a very nice gift to help Augie - it would be nowhere near $100M.
                        I believe the rumor for $100mil is from T. Denny Sanford the person, not the hospital. Sanford the hopsital gave what $20mil for the SJAC. I would find it hard to believe Sanford the hospital would give Augie $100mil for the reasons you stated.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          I believe the rumor for $100mil is from T. Denny Sanford the person, not the hospital. Sanford the hopsital gave what $20mil for the SJAC. I would find it hard to believe Sanford the hospital would give Augie $100mil for the reasons you stated.
                          Correct. I should have been clearer in my reference to Sanford. The money supposedly would come from Sanford the billionaire, not the health care system that carries his name.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            That would probably get them on their way.

This reminds me of when USD decided to make the jump. USD had two bad choices. 1. Make the jump to D1 even though we don't have anywhere near the funds, facilities, or fan support to do it. 2. Stay D2 and slowly see things diminish. Two bad options. I'm not saying that to bash USD. Those were just the facts. We were in better shape but faced and still do many of those challenges.

Augie is in the same boat but they have the advantage of a more populous city that has a number of the facilities ready to go. Not playing USD and SDSU has always bothered Augie fans. Football presents a real concern for them moving forward as their stadium would need to be expanded to meet FCS minimums. It was designed to do that but it will take a lot of $$$. So, if there is a potential $100 million in the works from Sanford then it will get them well on their way. My guess is it is in the works and it is a matter of time before an announcement comes.

Here is my concern. How much is too much in Sioux Falls? It has been incredible to see all of the sporting events, concerts, golf tournaments, and others come to Sioux Falls and be so robustly supported. The appetite for entertainment from Sioux Falls and surrounding areas has been impressive. At some point it becomes overcrowded. If Augie goes, what happens to the SkyForce, Storm, Canaries, and Stampede? What impact does it have on USF? EDIT POST: removed part about Sanford and Avera due to talk of donation being personally from T. Denny Sanford and not Sanford Health. Is there enough corporate and individual funds to support them all? If not, what gets hurt, the pro teams or the universities? There is a lot of competition for your entertainment dollars in Sioux Falls.

Personally, I think the impact of Augie making the jump would have a pretty significant impact on SDSU. Everything from corporate sponsorships to simply fighting for spectators. Several posts above is someone from SF who talked about how they are now a season ticket holder at Augie because it just feasible to make many games up here. Jokingly I would say slap yourself a few times and get your priorities straight but the fact of the matter is that is a legit argument for a lot of people.

The good news is that we are a long way ahead in the game and are pretty well established. There's no doubt in my mind that Sell and the Administration have their fingers on the pulse this stuff and will make sound plans in accordance with whatever happens.

This is going to be very interesting to see play out but it makes me very nervous. SDSU kind of owns Sioux Falls right now and all that could change with Augie making the jump.

The last thing I will say is that I do truly miss kicking Augie's butt in about everything so since it is probably inevitable I'm embracing that part of it. A kinder, gentler rivalry like with USD would be good.

SUPERBUNNY
                            Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 10-22-2018, 10:48 AM. Reason: Edit info regarding Sanford Health
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

This reminds me of when USD decided to make the jump. USD had two bad choices. 1. Make the jump to D1 even though we don't have anywhere near the funds, facilities, or fan support to do it. 2. Stay D2 and slowly see things diminish. Two bad options. I'm not saying that to bash USD. Those were just the facts. We were in better shape but faced and still do many of those challenges.

Augie is in the same boat but they have the advantage of a more populous city that has a number of the facilities ready to go. Not playing USD and SDSU has always bothered Augie fans. Football presents a real concern for them moving forward as their stadium would need to be expanded to meet FCS minimums. It was designed to do that but it will take a lot of $$$. So, if there is a potential $100 million in the works from Sanford then it will get them well on their way. My guess is it is in the works and it is a matter of time before an announcement comes.

Here is my concern. How much is too much in Sioux Falls? It has been incredible to see all of the sporting events, concerts, golf tournaments, and others come to Sioux Falls and be so robustly supported. The appetite for entertainment from Sioux Falls and surrounding areas has been impressive. At some point it becomes overcrowded. If Augie goes, what happens to the SkyForce, Storm, Canaries, and Stampede? What impact does it have on USF? EDIT POST: removed part about Sanford and Avera due to talk of donation being personally from T. Denny Sanford and not Sanford Health. Is there enough corporate and individual funds to support them all? If not, what gets hurt, the pro teams or the universities? There is a lot of competition for your entertainment dollars in Sioux Falls.

Personally, I think the impact of Augie making the jump would have a pretty significant impact on SDSU. Everything from corporate sponsorships to simply fighting for spectators. Several posts above is someone from SF who talked about how they are now a season ticket holder at Augie because it just feasible to make many games up here. Jokingly I would say slap yourself a few times and get your priorities straight but the fact of the matter is that is a legit argument for a lot of people.

The good news is that we are a long way ahead in the game and are pretty well established. There's no doubt in my mind that Sell and the Administration have their fingers on the pulse this stuff and will make sound plans in accordance with whatever happens.

This is going to be very interesting to see play out but it makes me very nervous. SDSU kind of owns Sioux Falls right now and all that could change with Augie making the jump.

The last thing I will say is that I do truly miss kicking Augie's butt in about everything so since it is probably inevitable I'm embracing that part of it. A kinder, gentler rivalry like with USD would be good.

SUPERBUNNY
                              Some really good points. I don't think Augie going DI will have any kind of major impact on attendance at the minor league sports in Sioux Falls as if you have ever been to any of their games they seem to have a different target audience. I do think the corporate sponsorship dollar is probably getting stressed with all the special events and other demands on those companies.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                                I was not aware of minimum attendance requirements for FCS? FBS has one, but not the FCS as far as I know.

Augie's stadium capacity is in line with the norm for the Pioneer, and is much much nicer than most in that league. IMO, contending for league championships is not a huge stretcy for Augie. The Pioneer gets an autobid to the FCS playoffs under the current playoff format...
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X