Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Unless the NCAA rules have changed, a college can not move up to D-I without an invitation from a D-I conference.

Who's going to invite Augie? Summit League? WAC? Those are about the only two possibilities.

The Summit League *might* if all four of the Dakota schools and specifically USD and SDSU both enthusiastically signed off on the idea. Any guesses as to how likely that is?

The WAC has ridiculous travel requirements. Can Augie's legendary deep-pockets donors give the school *that much* money, sustained over years?

What DI conference would let Augie move up?

Thing 2: Would Augie drop football in order to move up?

Thing 3: Where does Augie wrestling go? Big 12? Really?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Unless the NCAA rules have changed, a college can not move up to D-I without an invitation from a D-I conference.

Who's going to invite Augie? Summit League? WAC? Those are about the only two possibilities.

The Summit League *might* if all four of the Dakota schools and specifically USD and SDSU both enthusiastically signed off on the idea. Any guesses as to how likely that is?

The WAC has ridiculous travel requirements. Can Augie's legendary deep-pockets donors give the school *that much* money, sustained over years?

What DI conference would let Augie move up?

Thing 2: Would Augie drop football in order to move up?

Thing 3: Where does Augie wrestling go? Big 12? Really?
      I am not supportive at all of this movement. These are good questions with no easy answers. I go back to JackguyII remark, it is more about Sioux Falls than Augustana. This supposedly swell of SF support needs to remember that Augustana University is about academics and not a athletic franchise. It can not be bought. Be happy with the Skyfar*ts
      Last edited by Nidaros; 10-19-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        It didn't sell out for the first-ever men's SDSU/USD tournament game (a huge deal) and failed to this year for the USD/SDSU final (an even bigger deal). Our home attendance has stayed flat even with the likes of Daum, Wolters and a nice pile of NCAA tournament appearances. I'm just fine with Augie joining the Summit.
        You're right, it didn't sell out because the only available seats left were upper level seats behind the baselines. Maybe adding Augie will get people to plop down the cash for those seats. Currently there are 4 seats in the upper deck available inside the baselines (all of them are singles). The lower level is completely sold out. So I'm thinking for the lack of "sellout" has much less to do with the teams and more to do with people not wanting to pay for poor seats.

Are the Augie fans going to force them to open sections 206-214? That would be great if they did. Having another local team would help the tournament numbers for sessions where USD and SDSU don't have a game, so on that front that would certainly help.

However, I'm not opposed to adding Augie for non-FB sports. I don't see their FB program being a fit for reasons I've already stated.
        Last edited by SteelSD; 10-19-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Summit League games are televised, too. In fact, the championship games are on national TV. That adds to the challenge of selling bad seats in potentially snowy weather. Also, by the time the championship games come along, six men's teams and six women's teams have been eliminated from the tournament. Some of their fans don't stick around.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Summit League games are televised, too. In fact, the championship games are on national TV. That adds to the challenge of selling bad seats in potentially snowy weather. Also, by the time the championship games come along, six men's teams and six women's teams have been eliminated from the tournament. Some of their fans don't stick around.
            Snowy weather? Last year was really the only year i can remember that the weather sucked where traveling could be a problem. Bad seats? Ive never been up there but are the upper level seats not good? The games are televised but is there anything better than being there? Plus you can still have your beer, crown/water or glass of wine while watching it in person.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              Snowy weather? Last year was really the only year i can remember that the weather sucked where traveling could be a problem. Bad seats? Ive never been up there but are the upper level seats not good? The games are televised but is there anything better than being there? Plus you can still have your beer, crown/water or glass of wine while watching it in person.
              We sat upper level in line in the baseline in the first row. We really like them. Much better then being behind the baskets or the horse shoe side. It's really a bad angle from there. Upper is great for us. Which reminds me we might need to get seats still for this year.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Snowy weather is not likely to stop Augustana from joining the Summit.

Comment

The population growth for Sioux Falls is projected to be 5,000 per year for the next 40 years. What would a D1 school with a metro population of 1/2 million look like then?

Comment

Originally posted by mr76 View Post
                    The population growth for Sioux Falls is projected to be 5,000 per year for the next 40 years. What would a D1 school with a metro population of 1/2 million look like then?
                    Creighton.

Comment

Kansas City is a city of 2 million and no one cares about UMKC.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Creighton.
                        So a Power 5 school? I am not sure about that, but the people who are pushing for a D1 school see the potential of the city and possibly the school. To the response about UMKC, Kansas City has the Royals, Chiefs, and Jayhawks to draw most of the attention. I am sorry but the Coyotes, Jackrabbits, Storm, or Canaries do not have that kind of drawing power so maybe Augie could become relevant as a mid-major.

Comment

In an ideal scenario where would you like SDSU to be located, in Brookings or Sioux Falls? if you say Brookings your are looking through glasses that are more Jackrabbit blue than they should be. i am not saying Augie will dominate, but if they make this move they will probably receive a $100 plus million donation and are located in a great city, which is a pretty good start.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                            Kansas City is a city of 2 million and no one cares about UMKC.
                            That probably has more to do with the fact that there are 2 professional teams in Kansas City.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

No it has everything to do with school support. If being in a big market made all the difference then DePaul and the University of Houston would be world beaters.

Just because Augie is in SF doesn't mean that the population will support them. If they did the would have out drawn us when we were all in D-II. They didn't and SF was bigger then Brookings and Vermilion back in the day. Sorry it's a bogus argument.

Comment

In an ideal scenario where would you like SDSU to be located, in Brookings or Sioux Falls? if you say Brookings your are looking through glasses that are more Jackrabbit blue than they should be....
                                Augie or USD grad? Your vision as expressed in your post suggests you're looking through deeply colored glasses of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X