Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    I know a lot of Sanford employees that could easily help them spend their excess money to avoid taxation.
    This.

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Exactly. Not to be a debbie downer but I’ve said from the beginning that if Augie moves to D1 I’ll probably lose some interest in the Jacks. Too many schools for such a small population.
    Same. IMO, there are to many universities in the state already, let alone potentially 3 D1's.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Stop. Just stop. "Sanford Health" is not giving $100M to Augie to go Division 1. It is not logical or practical. Could they make a very nice gift? Yes. $100M....No. Could you imagine the backlash?

I doubt Denny has interest in giving Augie $100M either. If so, good for them. Yes, Augie has intrigue in going Division 1.....no they cannot afford it. Private college with 2-3k students. Good luck. The costs of going D1 don't just increase....they multiply. Augie does not have that kind of cash. They could do it but if athletic programs don't succeed when they make the move they are in a world of hurt. Literally, the only thing that is Division 1 about Augustana is the fact that it is in Sioux Falls. That is it. It's a good college and the perfect Division 2 college.

Comment

For a sake a reference:

SDSU's budget in 2003 when we went DI: $4-5 million
        SDSU's current budget: $20+ million

Theoretically speaking, if Augie did secure a 100M endowment - the return on that endowment is 5-6% per year. Meaning they would only get to use $5-6 million per year towards their budget how they see fit. While this would be a nice start to increase their budget lines, they would need a lot more help than this.

I'm in the camp that I don't see Sanford Health giving them 100 million. Denny could do it, for sure, and no reason he wouldn't. Kelby Krabbenhoft, Sanford's CEO, is an Augie supporter and would have a strong influence on all of this if there is any merit to it.

Comment

I will take Augie over IFPW,UMKC and any of the Minnesota DI Hockey schools as I know they will compete in the Sports that matter in the Summit, Basketball,Baseball,Softball, Volleyball and Soccer. They have great facilities, fan support and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            As a not-for-profit they have to spend their money or risk getting taxed on all of it... Think about that.
            Not necessarily, they can reinvest in their own system. If for instance they can build buildings with their excess margins or invest in new programs. Some one such as Augustant University has more needs than resources so having or showing a profit seldom happens. There is always someone or some other group looking for a handout.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              For a sake a reference:

SDSU's budget in 2003 when we went DI: $4-5 million
              SDSU's current budget: $20+ million

Theoretically speaking, if Augie did secure a 100M endowment - the return on that endowment is 5-6% per year. Meaning they would only get to use $5-6 million per year towards their budget how they see fit. While this would be a nice start to increase their budget lines, they would need a lot more help than this.

I'm in the camp that I don't see Sanford Health giving them 100 million. Denny could do it, for sure, and no reason he wouldn't. Kelby Krabbenhoft, Sanford's CEO, is an Augie supporter and would have a strong influence on all of this if there is any merit to it.
              This makes sense. I think about 500 million might do the job but not 100 million.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                This.

I am curious as to why a Augie move up to D1 has an impact to your Jacks backing? I'm not saying I'm for it, but if it happens it has no bearing to me as to how I will support the Jacks.

Same. IMO, there are to many universities in the state already, let alone potentially 3 D1's.

I am curious as to why a Augie move up to D1 has an impact to your Jacks backing? I'm not saying I'm for it, but if it happens it has no bearing to me as to how I will support the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                  Dang phone, but you get what I mean

Comment

Dang phone, but you get what I mean
                    I do get what you mean. Augustana needs big cash to move up and will it happen? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I do get what you mean. Augustana needs big cash to move up and will it happen? Who knows.
                      I get that. But why does it matter to the individual Jacks fan? Is there something I'm missing?

Comment

People said it shouldn’t and couldn’t be done when SDSU moved up...then USD...now Augie (maybe?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                          I know a lot of Sanford employees that could easily help them spend their excess money to avoid taxation.
                          I'm with you there. Several family members who work at the Mayo Clinic understand that very well. I'm mildly surprised that Mayo didn't buy the old IBM buildings and property.

Comment

I get that. But why does it matter to the individual Jacks fan? Is there something I'm missing?
                            No you are not missing anything, but in my humble opinion, the support in SF for Augie and USF is not is great as that for SDSU or USD. Not everyone is Norwegian and often not Lutheran or Baptist, so they often come up half empty. KWSN for some reason seems to be tooting their horn about Augie to the Summit, but yet the Summit Commish has not talked to the admin at Augie, at least this was his comment in an interview just before the tourney. Things could be happening behind the scenes and Denny just might hand over a half of billion dollars to start the Augie move rolling. Am I as a Jack Fan worried? Not really.

Comment

Um.... sure?

Augie is going to have to decide if D-I is what it wants or not.... I do agree though if it wants D-I, football (and possibly other sports) will have to go.....

IDK, is Augie going D-I the answer? Is it good/bad for SDSU/USD? Personally speaking I'd say a SMSU or Mankato St. would make more Summit League sense than Augie but what do I know... (nothing is the answer).........

Comment

I'm not pro or anti Augie moving up. But to add some perspective, South Dakota would be the smallest state by population (BY FAR), to have 3 division 1 schools. The next smallest would be Idaho, with 1.6 million people. The location of those institutions in that state makes it a little more feasible to have three, just simply based on the relative isolation of each. So the next smallest state in population to support 3 DI teams is roughly twice the population of South Dakota. Because of that, I think Augie moving up would be a very odd move.

The counterpoint to that is that support based on average basketball attendence is not way different between SDSU, USD, and Augie currently, so I'm not sure how much that would change for any school if they were to become D1. My best guess is that Augie might see an increase in fans, but I doubt that would come at the expense of either USD or SDSU.

Personally, this whole thing seems fabricated by the Sioux Falls media who are desperate to have a hometown D1 college. I just don't see how this fits given the profile of Augie, their endowment, and the population of the state. Again, this would be a very odd move, in my opinion.

*Edit: Rhode Island with Bryant, Brown, Providence, and URI would be the smallest state with 4 DI universities at just over 1 million people. Idaho is the smallest with 3. However, those RI schools are part of a huge metropolitan region stretching from New York to Boston, so I don't think the comparison is fair for this discussion.
                                Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 04-02-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X