Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Augie to the Summit?

Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

Quote Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
    I don't really get what a health system would get from giving a $100 million to a small private school to move up to DI.
    As a not-for-profit they have to spend their money or risk getting taxed on all of it... Think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by slosho View Post
    As a not-for-profit they have to spend their money or risk getting taxed on all of it... Think about that.
    They do but if a not for profit had 100 mil to donate to a college athletic program that's going to raise a lot of questions and tick off patients and employees. donate some here and there as both Sanford and avera have is one thing. 100 mil, that's a quarter of what Denny gave the health system in his original donation which I would guess went to their foundation.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

I know a lot of Sanford employees that could easily help them spend their excess money to avoid taxation.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    That would be a really bad idea. Not enough athletes, fan support, sponsorship dollars etc to fund 3 universities. Unless we are content to be a low major with minimal future aspirations. How high of ticket prices are we willing to pay to fund the replacements for Stig, TJ and AJ.
    Exactly. Not to be a debbie downer but I’ve said from the beginning that if Augie moves to D1 I’ll probably lose some interest in the Jacks. Too many schools for such a small population.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

I know a lot of Sanford employees that could easily help them spend their excess money to avoid taxation.
    Do we think the Pentagon makes money?

This.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Exactly. Not to be a debbie downer but I’ve said from the beginning that if Augie moves to D1 I’ll probably lose some interest in the Jacks. Too many schools for such a small population.
    Same. IMO, there are to many universities in the state already, let alone potentially 3 D1's.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Stop. Just stop. "Sanford Health" is not giving $100M to Augie to go Division 1. It is not logical or practical. Could they make a very nice gift? Yes. $100M....No. Could you imagine the backlash?

I doubt Denny has interest in giving Augie $100M either. If so, good for them. Yes, Augie has intrigue in going Division 1.....no they cannot afford it. Private college with 2-3k students. Good luck. The costs of going D1 don't just increase....they multiply. Augie does not have that kind of cash. They could do it but if athletic programs don't succeed when they make the move they are in a world of hurt. Literally, the only thing that is Division 1 about Augustana is the fact that it is in Sioux Falls. That is it. It's a good college and the perfect Division 2 college.

For a sake a reference:

SDSU's budget in 2003 when we went DI: $4-5 million
    SDSU's current budget: $20+ million

Theoretically speaking, if Augie did secure a 100M endowment - the return on that endowment is 5-6% per year. Meaning they would only get to use $5-6 million per year towards their budget how they see fit. While this would be a nice start to increase their budget lines, they would need a lot more help than this.

I'm in the camp that I don't see Sanford Health giving them 100 million. Denny could do it, for sure, and no reason he wouldn't. Kelby Krabbenhoft, Sanford's CEO, is an Augie supporter and would have a strong influence on all of this if there is any merit to it.

I will take Augie over IFPW,UMKC and any of the Minnesota DI Hockey schools as I know they will compete in the Sports that matter in the Summit, Basketball,Baseball,Softball, Volleyball and Soccer. They have great facilities, fan support and coaches.

Not necessarily, they can reinvest in their own system. If for instance they can build buildings with their excess margins or invest in new programs. Some one such as Augustant University has more needs than resources so having or showing a profit seldom happens. There is always someone or some other group looking for a handout.