Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Heck, it wasn't even like that when I was a student less than a decade ago, but given recent campus shootings, etc., additional security measures seem prudent.
    Yes they do seem prudent. Just some old guy complaining.

Comment

Somewhat similar mergers have occurred elsewhere, and the linked article mentions that seminaries sometimes struggle with declining enrollments and financial strain.

Then I suppose the question becomes what happens to USF's stadium, although that location seems more conducive to residential development.
      I missed your link, but have read it since. Interesting to say the least. I sense there is too much competition between Augustana and USF. Both are competing for education dollars spent by non-Lutherans and non-Baptists. I think there would be many more issues to resolve besides the USF stadium. Interesting thought though a merger??

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        I read it, and I don't see the Matt Zimmer Augustana homer vibes some of you see.
        The Zimmer article is in the Argus this morning. It is the lead story on the front page. Unless this investigative work has more facts to present, it belongs at best in the opinion section as it does attribute the sources as the local media speculation. The closest thing to reality is a statement by Herbster that some have talked about former NCC members for the Summit. That could be compared to some guys at a party talking about high school girlfriends and considering reconnecting after they have another commitment. There is serious deficit in any facts that indicate a move. The headline may have been saved for a real news story. It seems logical Zimmer was out of town to watch a baseball game during a blizzard when this story hit the stands.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          The Zimmer article is in the Argus this morning. It is the lead story on the front page. Unless this investigative work has more facts to present, it belongs at best in the opinion section as it does attribute the sources as the local media speculation. The closest thing to reality is a statement by Herbster that some have talked about former NCC members for the Summit. That could be compared to some guys at a party talking about high school girlfriends and considering reconnecting after they have another commitment. There is serious deficit in any facts that indicate a move. The headline may have been saved for a real news story. It seems logical Zimmer was out of town to watch a baseball game during a blizzard when this story hit the stands.
          Interesting it's on the front page, considering SF has an upcoming mayoral runoff on May 1 and we've weathered a weekend blizzard.

No denying that it generates discussion though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I missed your link, but have read it since. Interesting to say the least. I sense there is too much competition between Augustana and USF. Both are competing for education dollars spent by non-Lutherans and non-Baptists. I think there would be many more issues to resolve besides the USF stadium. Interesting thought though a merger??
            USF's current president was on the board of Kilian Community College, so he likely appreciates how tenuous higher education programming can be. Plus, I believe he is nearing retirement age, so if Augie were to pursue a merger, his retirement would be a perfect time.

Comment

Interesting it's on the front page, considering SF has an upcoming mayoral runoff on May 1 and we've weathered a weekend blizzard.

No denying that it generates discussion though.
              I don’t know about anyone else, but it’s hard to get excited about track unless you participate or have some close participating, there is much to talk about. Augustana May go D1 down the road.

Comment

This Augie, D-1 speculation has been the most overhyped local story of the year. A lot of talk based on little information. USF officials should be envious. It's their turn to to start a rumor.
                This space for lease.

Comment

USF just hired a new president about a year or ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                    USF just hired a new president about a year or ago.
                    Correct, prior USF President was Benedetto.
                    And the idea of USF & Augie merging is just silly. No way it’s happening.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Gotta stand up for John Rice (RIP) in this merger business.

When I was a senior (66-67), I got a job bird dogging for John Rice, who was a whole life salesman. I'd get $25 and prospective customers got a couple of free movie tickets to hear his pitch. He was humongous, dressed in purple suits (which was probably bad for sales) and was totally devoted to The Coo. Coo, this...Coo, that. Coo is scrimmaging against USD and shut Jack Theeler down. Yadayadayada.

When I was in Sioux Falls he would take me out to eat at Bob's. I visited Bob's a few years ago, before they relocated. Owner asked me if I wanted to buy it and said the original Bob came in to help at the grill until he finally died at 90 or something. Asked about John and he said he was a several times a week customer until he died about 2010. God only knows how much a constant diet of that (delicious but deadly) crap took out of him, he must have covered all the stools.

Anyway, sorry that I even suggested something good about an Augie/Coo merger. I don't want your ghost descending on me. KEEP THEM SEPARATE, PLEASE.
                      Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 04-15-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I don’t know about anyone else, but it’s hard to get excited about track unless you participate or have some close participating, there is much to talk about. Augustana May go D1 down the road.
                        I was bored at Ft Eustis,Va while stationed there.so decided to watch a track meet. They had a world class 400 meter runner featured I wanted to see run and he literally flew around the track. Quite something to see in person. I like to see extraordinary performances,State records or dominating the event.I like the Howard Wood Relay's and their special events,someone like Laura Roesler and Shelby Houlihan come around very rarely,She ran a special event (or two?) at the Wood.How about George Amundson's nation leading discus throw .Stuff like that. Otherwise it's nothing spectacular ,but their are occasions where you're glad to have witnessed something rare. Jill Theeler from Mitchell, Reinhart Lincoln, other outstanding athletes throughout the years.I'm not a track junkie, but I enjoy the special moments in track& Field.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-15-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          I am with you 100% on this post. There appears they are too directly involved in local competition

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Houlihanhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_RoeslerI was bored at Ft Eustis,Va while stationed there.so decided to watch a track meet. They had a world class 400 meter runner featured I wanted to see run and he literally flew around the track. Quite something to see in person. I like to see extraordinary performances,State records or dominating the event.I like the Howard Wood Relay's and their special events,someone like Laura Roesler and Shelby Houlihan come around very rarely,She ran a special event (or two?) at the Wood.How about George Amundson's nation leading discus throw .Stuff like that. Otherwise it's nothing spectacular ,but their are occasions where you're glad to have witnessed something rare. Jill Theeler from Mitchell, Reinhart Lincoln, other outstanding athletes throughout the years.I'm not a track junkie, but I enjoy the special moments in track& Field.
                            As I stated track is not basketball where with 40 minutes of playing time we know the outcome.

Comment

Ok then,you are truly not interested in Track and Field,I respect your preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                Ok then,you are truly not interested in Track and Field,I respect your preferences.
                                Not really. Too much free time in between events. I like rodeo better, seeing records broken is very interesting. Watching a 10k run is not as much fun as running one and finishing dead last. I received a certificate to Foot Locker for a free pair of running shoes. Now that was fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X