Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Augie to the Summit?

Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

Does the Summit have a minimum number of sports requirement for membership, affiliate members for one sport only excluded?

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Does the Summit have a minimum number of sports requirement for membership, affiliate members for one sport only excluded?
    This article indicates UND had to sponsor seven sports (MBB and WBB being two required) to be eligible for Summit consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    If anyone watched the local news tonight or read Zimmer's write up from the hiring of the new Augie AD, I think we can probably assume that this isn't just message board fodder. It sounds as though the official, public position of Augie admin is that they are considering the move up, and that part of what made the new AD attractive is his ability to fundraise for that move. Doesn't mean it's happening, but I do think we can officially consider this something that is on the table down in Sioux Falls. Who knows, but the language quoted from those news outlets between the president and the new AD were fairly suggestive (if a little ambiguous) about considering a transition.
    They made a good choice for AD. Letís see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Augie will have to bring more than basketball teams to the Summit. Otherwise, why would the league even want them? For starters, make them bring baseball to help shore up team numbers in that sport.
    Minus baseball they don't get anywhere.

Personally I like listening to the source more then reading articles by the Sioux Falls media. Herseth Sandlin was interviewed on KWSN.

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...i-possibility/

She didn't back down from the question, she also was clear that a D1 Augie is not imminent and could take years, if it occurs at all.

The Sioux Falls media need to slow down and listen instead of pushing their own agenda. Gaskins was embarrassing following the interview. To the point of replaying portions of the discussion and trying to parse what she said into making it sound like the decision had been made and it would only be a matter of time. The President admitted they have had ZERO discussion with the Summit League or anyone representing the Summit League. She did say that boosters had contacted the Summit League, not necessarily representing Augustana's stance or view on the issue. If I were the school that would be embarrassing. Lead or get led, but get control over your boosters.

I think one thing Augie has to consider with this move is the possibility of the college landscape changing in the next several years. If they move up, and SDSU and USD find themselves in a different conference or reclassified if there is a restructuring of Power 5, G5, and FCS, will Augie be okay to be DI and not in any conference with the other state schools? It's an unlikely scenario, but it could happen. It seems to me like Augie going DI is all about them getting some of what the other two state schools have, and benefiting from playing them. Will Augie fans support DI if it didn't involve a conference that included SDSU and USD?

Some of the comments on this thread sound embarrassingly close to what you could have read on the Goyotes board in 2003-4 when we were making our decision to move up (I don't think that board actually existed then but you get the point.) Augie will figure out what is best for them based on a carefully study. That is the way it should be. If our support base is so fragile that competition from Augie moving up is a major threat to our success (I don't believe that is the case.) then that is our problem to solve and not a reason for Augie to hold back. Angie has some visionary leadership right now and I think that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Some of the comments on this thread sound embarrassingly close to what you could have read on the Goyotes board in 2003-4 when we were making our decision to move up (I don't think that board actually existed then but you get the point.) Augie will figure out what is best for them based on a carefully study. That is the way it should be. If our support base is so fragile that competition from Augie moving up is a major threat to our success (I don't believe that is the case.) then that is our problem to solve and not a reason for Augie to hold back. Angie has some visionary leadership right now and I think that is great.
    I get that. And I agree that it does echo some of the narrative seen around the state in 04.

But it's really apples to oranges. In 2004, South Dakota was one of three states (including ND) that didn't have a division 1 university in the state. If you count hockey and UND, then we were the only one in the lower 48. SDSU was the largest, land grant university in the state, with the highest research expenditures. Comparing the naysayers to SDSU's move in 2004 to naysayers of Augie's move isn't really fair. The Dakota schools should have been D1 since 1978, when 1AA became an option. We were about 25 years late in moving up.

That doesn't mean that Augie won't move up and make it work. They might research it and decide it can work and be 100% correct in doing so. But on the surface, the odds of that seem much longer for this potential move up than the last two in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I get that. And I agree that it does echo some of the narrative seen around the state in 04.

But it's really apples to oranges. In 2004, South Dakota was one of three states (including ND) that didn't have a division 1 university in the state. If you count hockey and UND, then we were the only one in the lower 48. SDSU was the largest, land grant university in the state, with the highest research expenditures. Comparing the naysayers to SDSU's move in 2004 to naysayers of Augie's move isn't really fair. The Dakota schools should have been D1 since 1978, when 1AA became an option. We were about 25 years late in moving up.

That doesn't mean that Augie won't move up and make it work. They might research it and decide it can work and be 100% correct in doing so. But on the surface, the odds of that seem much longer for this potential move up than the last two in the state.
    I totally agree that comparing SDSU in 2004 and Augie in 2018 is apples and oranges. What is not apples and oranges is USD fans second guessing SDSU and SDSU fans second guessing Augie more out of concern for the impact of the aspirations of another universities on ones own school than on a knowledge of the capabilities of the other school.

Quote Originally Posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    D1 hockey @ Augustana? Another interesting twist to this story.

Go Rabbits!
    I can't believe some of the fans on the Yote board who think that they or Augie could take over the Sioux Falls market by playing Div 1 hockey in the Denny. They must not realize what a money rat-hole D1 hockey is, especially starting a program from scratch - and even more so if you are renting the Denny. Not to mention the Title IX headaches it would bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Some of the comments on this thread sound embarrassingly close to what you could have read on the Goyotes board in 2003-4 when we were making our decision to move up (I don't think that board actually existed then but you get the point.) Augie will figure out what is best for them based on a carefully study. That is the way it should be. If our support base is so fragile that competition from Augie moving up is a major threat to our success (I don't believe that is the case.) then that is our problem to solve and not a reason for Augie to hold back. Augie has some visionary leadership right now and I think that is great.

I have been a big fan of President Herseth-Sandlin for a long time, and she is still very attractive. Your comment that appears in bold I strongly agree and that earned you rep points. I dont feel threaten by an Augustana or anyone else move to D1. Its not easy and expensive, more so for a tuition driven university such as Augustana. As far as apple and oranges, I like and consume both and have no further comment.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-07-2018 at 10:49 PM.