Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    I've been doing a bit of looking at Augie basketball since it looks like this might be a done deal, including videos of their national championship run. Good size, at least in that year, but they look awfully white and slow.

What's the deal with that? Can't Billiter recruit African American kids? Football team isn't all pasty white so I can't think that it's the culture of the school. Is TB a coach that can't recruit nationally?
    Holy racism Batman.

Comment

I've been doing a bit of looking at Augie basketball since it looks like this might be a done deal, including videos of their national championship run. Good size, at least in that year, but they look awfully white and slow.

What's the deal with that? Can't Billiter recruit African American kids? Football team isn't all pasty white so I can't think that it's the culture of the school. Is TB a coach that can't recruit nationally?
      do you think the same with AJ

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Holy racism Batman.
        Glad I'm not the only one with that thought. There were a couple of those slow, white Augie players that would have looked good in Jackrabbit uniforms.

Comment

I've seen some crazy posts over the years, but this one takes the cake!

Comment

Remember talking to Brad Soderberg during his stay at Lindenwood. He said that the biggest recruiting problem that he had at SDSU was getting African American kids to even visit Brookings. Recruiting begets recruiting and Parks and Marshall will always be my favorite players because they broke that mold. Thanks to the Internet I can watch certain South Dakota high school games. I think the ESD is almost as slow as it was when I was in high school (well maybe not totally, there were plenty of games in the thirties then). Every D2 team is crippled in some way. Northwest Missouri's string of teams (until this year) was fast but led by an under 6 foot guard that a good D1 player would stuff. Augustana had great height, but no speed. If Billiter thinks that recruiting a local, all white, South Dakota centric team is going to cut it, even in the Summit, He has to reset his sights.

The Duke games against the defending D2 champion are interesting (although unfair since it's the next year's team, usually gutted) because it emphasizes the weakness of the opposition. In the case of Augie, even more than usual, they got run off the court. It's been over a year since I watched that replay, so some of my memories may be a bit fogged.

I'm sure Billiter can make the recruiting adjustment and I'm sure Augie will be a bit faster when it gets in the Summit.

And, being welcoming to recruiting talented black players nationally is not (I hope) racism against the home town Swedes and Norwegians. I think Sioux Falls is a bit more open to others than it was when I moved out in 1967.

Comment

Or, maybe Augie will be successful as the BYU of the prairies.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                I've seen some crazy posts over the years, but this one takes the cake!
                Looked at the all state list for Missouri preps big schools. From names or schools, I'd guess most of these kids are black. Probably most are headed for P5 schools. Maybe white men can't jump is an ugly stereotype, but I'm guessing most of these schools would wipe the floor with a typical ESD team.

I went through Leadership Saint Louis about a quarter century ago, and worked with William Danforth, the Chancellor of Washington University, developing exit strategies for the voluntary busing program. It was a nasty, long process. I was also president of the St. Louis Metro chapter of the American Society for Public Administration and worked hard to make the insular K-12's think of themselves as being in the mainstream of government--that was a failure, all they wanted to do is talk about school stuff.

I've visited St. Louis magnet schools, which were as good as it got, but both St. Louis and Kansas City schools were horrible. St. Louis lost it's accreditation and was taken over by the state years ago. Things are now righted and the schools are getting handed back to the elected board, but these schools suck big time in a way that the average person in South Dakota can't even imagine.

High school is barely covered by the news outlets. Usually it's when a good kid, who's also an athlete, is gunned down. Big story last week was a promising black athlete in one of the Belleville schools was killed at a party. Eighth grade, but already being wooed as a football player by several P5 schools. Such stories are regular human interest stories, along with eighty year old women who are being carjacked down town.

Had he lived, I'm sure that kid would have liked three things in any school he picked. I'm sure each of the schools showing interest had:
                1. Another black player.
                2. A black assistant coach
                3. A well organized tutorial program which will make up for his (in all likelihood) crap high school.

Are you saying making these adjustments in order to land these athletes are racist? That sort of sounds like the people I run into who stayed in Woonsocket when I occasionally return for a high school reunion.
                Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 05-12-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Thought I might have been stereotyping when I said that the ESD was slow and low scoring. Didn't put the numbers in a spreadsheet, but it looks on scanning that there is a fairly high portion of scores in the thirties and forties. I always remember thinking that was odd when I was in high school sixty years ago-- some things don't change. Do they have a clock and still score at that rate? Maybe they can jump, just not score.

Correction: I just scanned Missouri high school scores and there's a bunch of forty point scores there as well. Maybe prep basketball is slowing down all over. See, I will admit when I'm wrong.

Maybe Jim Molinari wrote a how to coach high school basketball book.

Comment

Or, maybe Augie will be successful as the BYU of the prairies.
                    Maybe with good Lutheran kids. He has got exactly one Lutheran High School to recruit from, Oak Grove Lutheran High in Fargo, Something has to change.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 05-12-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Maybe with good Lutheran kids. He has got exactly one Lutheran High School to recruit from, Oak Grove Lutheran High in Fargo, Something has to change.
                      In both Dakotas? Where the Missouri Synod is there's schools. Don't think the ELCA believes in such things.

Comment

I was hoping we could keep race, religion and politics off of this sports forum.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          I was hoping we could keep race, religion and politics off of this sports forum.
                          Comparative Lutheran theology isn't central to basketball. Politics isn't central to basketball, unless it's Illinois higher education and it's WIU being strangled to death by Mike Madigan. Inability to recruit African American players might be central to basketball. We'll see how Augie goes. My bet is that they will recruit different players when they go D1. I don't think Billiter is a bad coach.

Comment

Comparative Lutheran theology isn't central to basketball. Politics isn't central to basketball, unless it's Illinois higher education and it's WIU being strangled to death by Mike Madigan. Inability to recruit African American players might be central to basketball. We'll see how Augie goes. My bet is that they will recruit different players when they go D1. I don't think Billiter is a bad coach.
                            You REALLY need to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              I agree. Grizzled Jack: that's enough.

Comment

Augie wins DII Softball Championship over the weekend.

That's 3 sports the last few years: Mens Basketball, Baseball, and Softball.

They are obviously a force at the D2 level, and I can see the interest in moving up. No idea how they will afford it... as many have said FB will have to either be axed or moved to non-scholly.

Comment

Working...
                                X