Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Unless the summit league needs them to keep the auto-bid let them try and make it without the summit like UND thought they could in the Big Sky. By the Time the Summit is in dire need of them they will be begging to join the summit or be relegated back to the NSIC
    Ft. Wayne and Western Illinois are good as gone so I would say the Summit could use another institution in the footprint. Especially one with a baseball program. Agree with Nidaros that enrollment has zero relevance and yet it keeps getting brought up. Augie will draw better than USD and many others in the league.

Comment

I'd rather bring back UMKC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that may happen too.

Comment

Unless the summit league needs them to keep the auto-bid let them try and make it without the summit like UND thought they could in the Big Sky. By the Time the Summit is in dire need of them they will be begging to join the summit or be relegated back to the NSIC
          Okay, thanks. I don’t doubt the financial support in SF, we have to see it happen. I don’t see Dana Dykhouse redirecting his SDSU support towards Augie just so he will not have to drive to Brookings. I don’t think the Augustana financial support will come from USD or SDSU alumni. It will come from those who do not already support USD or SDSU.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 03-24-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Someone commented it doesn’t take a large enrollment to be a D1 success and I think Rice was used as an example. Enrollment is the only correlation with Rice which is in Houston. A lot more corporate sponsor chances in Houston than SF SD. Augie will be third fiddle in a conservative state that just doesn’t have a history of spending large for college athletics.

The Sanford money machine is great now but what happens if that tap runs dry? It’s not inconceivable with healthcare reform that could happen.

Comment

I think Augie is a sure thing, but in case there was hesitation, the WAC would be all over that. Also, FWIW, Southern Indiana is making some rumblings towards exploring a D1 move. That might keep PFW in the conference, although Evansville might almost be as far away as Macomb.
              Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 03-24-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

To emphasize: under current NCAA rules, a school CAN NOT move up without an invitation in hand from an established D-I conference. CAN. NOT.

It doesn't matter how much Augie "intends" to go to D-I or what Augie's time frame is for moving up, the move is dead in the water without an invitation in hand from a Division I conference.

It doesn't matter how many Sioux Falls movers and shakers want it to happen. It won't happen unless and until Augie actually gets a formal invitation to join from a Division I conference.

Now, I have no doubt that Augie "intends" to join the Summit League, and I have no doubt that they've received--at worst--some "let's talk about this" signals from Douple and the Summit League. It may even have gone as far as a "gentleman's agreement" to get an invite as long as the conference gets XYZ (financial assurances and a solid transition plan, at least!) from Augie. But "let's talk" is not "sure, come on in!"

If the Summit hesitates too much, Augie can indeed go hat in hand to the WAC and, based on the WAC's recent history, my guess is that Augie would very likely get into D-I via the WAC. (I further suspect this would be a complete train-wreck disaster for Augie, just for travel expense purposes alone.)

And one last thought: Enrollment **is** a factor. It is not the only factor, and it is probably not the determinative factor, but it is a factor. Media market size and composition of the sports entertainment offerings in that media market, and size and wealth of alumni base would be, in my mind at least, at least as significant as raw institutional undergraduate enrollment.

Augie's primary competitors in Sioux Falls sports market won't be SDSU and USD. They'll be the Skyforce and the Stampede . . . and USF.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Augie actually fits the MVC with the private schools.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    Augie actually fits the MVC with the private schools.
                    That would actually be amusing . . . Augie lusts after the Summit League Tournament crowd, and winds up exiled to St. Louis for conference basketball tournaments.

But would Valpo want another Lutheran school in the MVC?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Why?

UMKC is a dumpster fire with no support and horrible teams. At least Augie brings some local interest and will help with attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        That would actually be amusing . . . Augie lusts after the Summit League Tournament crowd, and winds up exiled to St. Louis for conference basketball tournaments.

But would Valpo want another Lutheran school in the MVC?
                        Most likely not. Being affiliated with Lutheran Church has little meaning in terms of financial support. Less than 50k for Augustana. Less an 1% of a Sunday offering at First Lutheran. Valporasio comes out of German Lutheran tradition and academically they look down on the Augustana Advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Why?

UMKC is a dumpster fire with no support and horrible teams. At least Augie brings some local interest and will help with attendance.
                          10. That’s how many players have officially announced their intents to transfer away from UMKC this offseason. Yes, TEN.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/umkc

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            10. That’s how many players have officially announced their intents to transfer away from UMKC this offseason. Yes, TEN.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/umkc
                            wowzers...they did fire their coach but man alive, that's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Valporasio comes out of German Lutheran tradition and academically they look down on the Augustana Advantage.
                              As someone who looked at going to Valpariso before deciding on Augustana I'm wondering what criteria you're using when you say "and academically they (Valpo) look down on the Augustana Advantage."

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                                As someone who looked at going to Valpariso before deciding on Augustana I'm wondering what criteria you're using when you say "and academically they (Valpo) look down on the Augustana Advantage."
                                Oh I dont know, Augie sucks as far as I am concerned. Just joking. That's more my perception than anything. Valpo is just outside of Chicago and Augie is out in the toolies of Sioux Falls. Having been around Chicago for several years, they hardly know where the Dakotas are located on the map, let alone traveled through. The bottom line is both are very good institutions of which I did not have the brains or the resource to attend. What ever happened to the Augustana Advantage promotion? You dont hear anything about it any more.

Comment

Working...
                                X