Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

If the Jacks ever play Augie in FB, someone needs to make the creepy Mick Jagger "Angie" whisper from "Angie" their entrance music after this.

Regarding Title IX, this suggests they have a 10 versus 11 male:female sports imbalance now, so men's hockey would negate that.
    Autocorrect is wise beyond the ken of Man...
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If the Jacks ever play Augie in FB, someone needs to make the creepy Mick Jagger "Angie" whisper from "Angie" their entrance music after this.

Regarding Title IX, this suggests they have a 10 versus 11 male:female sports imbalance now, so men's hockey would negate that.
      Title IX equivalence looks at "participation", "scholarships", and "other benefits" that must be equivalent between the sexes. Apparently Augie has over 60% female students (not uncommon these days for higher education institutions, actually), so mere equivalence in numbers of scholarships offered between M and W won't cut it for Title IX.

According to latest US News & World Report listings, Augie has 37% M/63% F enrollment. SDSU has 47% M/53% F, USD has 37%M 63%F for comparison.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

Totally serious Gook, can remain DII in all other sports if they choose. No other DI hockey teams in the state. A city that shows up for hockey as seen by attendence with the Stampede. I don't see them adding women's hockey, but not sure about their current title IX situation. If TDenny is fronting a significant piece of the start-up money I think its no brainer as do many other people locally and in other hockey markets.
        I'm with you. Sioux Falls is a fast growing city just waiting for something DI to call their own. I don't know about moving the rest of their sports up, but Augie is exploiting an obvious niche just waiting to be filled. We've already seen that SDSU and USD aren't going to capture the market (outside of 3 days in March). Maybe it will be a bust, but I can see why they chose this angle.

Comment

• I think hockey is a pretty good add-on for Augie. My impression is Augie hockey won't significantly impact USD or SDSU fan support but it likely will tap into a hockey fan base that exists in Sioux Falls.

I've been to one live hockey match -- it was a high-school level match and a kid of a friend of mine was playing. Hockey isn't an event I think about attending. Now, I recognize there are some rabid hockey fans who prefer hockey over all other sports. I think that's an untapped audience and Augie is smart in going for that fanbase. The hockey fans I know seem to have low interest in other sports available during the hockey season but once hooked on a team, they're a pretty loyal group.

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post

Title IX equivalence looks at "participation", "scholarships", and "other benefits" that must be equivalent between the sexes. Apparently Augie has over 60% female students (not uncommon these days for higher education institutions, actually), so mere equivalence in numbers of scholarships offered between M and W won't cut it for Title IX.

According to latest US News & World Report listings, Augie has 37% M/63% F enrollment. SDSU has 47% M/53% F, USD has 37%M 63%F for comparison.
            I'm not sure how germane the general student gender demographics are if we're limiting it to purported Athletics disparities, and with investments like the upcoming Bowden renovation that will impact softball, it becomes difficult to argue that women's sports are being given short shrift there. You seem to argue that male and female scholarships are equivalent, but data suggest reason to question whether there are also disparities in average aid doled out by gender

Comment

I'm not sure how germane the general student gender demographics are if we're limiting it to purported Athletics disparities,...
              I do not claim to have any expertise with respect to Title IX and I'm not sure I understand your point, jackejc...but one has to keep in mind that Title IX addresses educational opportunities in a broad sense. It seems Title IX is most often mentioned in conjunction with athletics but it applies to much more. General student demographics at an institution are very imiportant when analyzing Title IX issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I do not claim to have any expertise with respect to Title IX and I'm not sure I understand your point, jackejc...but one has to keep in mind that Title IX addresses educational opportunities in a broad sense. It seems Title IX is most often mentioned in conjunction with athletics but it applies to much more. General student demographics at an institution are very imiportant when analyzing Title IX issues.
                The argument regarding hockey focused on purportedly disparate athletics opportunities, investments, and teams that would result. Citing the percentage of male versus female students as supporting that assertion is hardly probative, and I'm well aware Title IX isn't limited to athletics.

Comment

• Frequently asked questions about Title IX:
                  https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-questions#how

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Frequently asked questions about Title IX:
                    https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-questions#how
                    The Venn diagram depicting the "Title IX Won't Allow Augie hockey" and "Augie Shouldn't Go DI" is essentially a single circle.

I've yet to see specific evidence anyone's cited to support the addition of hockey even approaching a Title IX violation, and I'd be interested in the chronology of the hockey discussion versus their sports additions last fall because it's likely they were laying the foundation for this announcement months ago

Comment

The Venn diagram depicting the "Title IX Won't Allow Augie hockey" and "Augie Shouldn't Go DI" is essentially a single circle.

I've yet to see specific evidence anyone's cited to support the addition of hockey even approaching a Title IX violation, and I'd be interested in the chronology of the hockey discussion versus their sports additions last fall because it's likely they were laying the foundation for this announcement months ago
                      Speculation #1: Augustana University is currently conforming to all relevant Title IX standards for compliance.
                      Speculation #2: Augustana will add a Division I men's hockey program.
                      Speculation #3: Augustana will seek to be nationally competitive in that sport and to that end, will fully fund all 18 scholarships allowed by NCAA in that sport.

Conclusions deriving from these speculations are left as an exercise for the reader.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Sioux Falls has never embraced Augustana as a showcase university any more than it has embraced USF. The underused and largely forgotten institution that now goes by the name Community College For Sioux Falls (once known as USDSU) has unsuccessfully sought to be Sioux Falls’ university for decades, too.
                        Adding D-1 hockey will give Augie a nice bragging edge over USF, but I don’t think the addition of a second-tier sport is likely to change overall fan preferences in the community much.
                        There are more Jackrabbit and Coyote fans in Sioux Falls than there are Augie fans. There are also a lot of Husker, Hawkeye, Cyclone and Gopher fans, as well as followers of several other schools in the region.
                        Augie seems likely to remain a small, private, expensive, religious-based school that, even more than public universities, struggles to attract students and public affection.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

• Hockey seems like a good idea for Augie.

Although Zim or someone at the Argus, speculated that they are looking at adding the "other sports" like 2024? I think they said? I don't see that.

Who knows?

In fact with the Supreme Court's ruling yesterday, who knows what college sports is going to look like in 3 years.

"The Power 5 are going to leave the NCAA" movement isn't going to slow down.

Comment

• With Belmont (and possibly Murray State) following multiple schools out of the OVC, Western Illinois is most often mentioned as a replacement.

If Western joins the OVC, does the Summit reconsider Augustana?

Comment

• Originally posted by perryc View Post
                              With Belmont (and possibly Murray State) following multiple schools out of the OVC, Western Illinois is most often mentioned as a replacement.

If Western joins the OVC, does the Summit reconsider Augustana?
                              No.....
                              Rollin' in my 5.0
                              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                              X