Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    Augie is not Creighton and Sioux Falls is not Omaha. My wife graduated from Creighton, we have lived in Omaha, I have relatives who graduated from Augie and I lived in Sioux Falls for years before moving west. Creighton has almost 9,000 students, almost half are post graduate many who did their undergrad at Creighton. The school is very geographically diverse with well over 60% of the students from outside of Nebraska. It is Catholic, wealthy (almost $500 million endowment) and the schools alumni are incredibly loyal. They fit in the Big East. They have never been anything but a Division 1 athletically and going back decades have been successful. The greater Omaha area is pushing 1 million in population, Sioux Falls has around 250,000. There is money in Sioux Falls, nothing like you see in Omaha. I get what you are saying, but Sioux Falls is not Omaha and Augie is not Creighton.

My opinion is mine. Augie goes D1 they will struggle financially. That will have a direct affect on the Summit league and SDSU.
    Does your opinion change if the financial issues are off the table and already "taken care of"?

Comment

The PR damage of playing in a non-scholarship football league against weak teams scattered around the U.S. will offset any advantage of playing basketball in the Summit League, in my view. Will the Sioux Falls media follow Augie football around the country and cover their road games. Not likely. It's getting so the local media only covers home games. Maybe USF will move up, too, and spoil Augie's party.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        The PR damage of playing in a non-scholarship football league against weak teams scattered around the U.S. will offset any advantage of playing basketball in the Summit League, in my view. Will the Sioux Falls media follow Augie football around the country and cover their road games. Not likely. It's getting so the local media only covers home games. Maybe USF will move up, too, and spoil Augie's party.
        A school doesn't go non-scholly in football to get good press. They do it so they can fund the programs that will offer their school the most success.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Augie is a tiny (last number I found from 2017, less then 2,000 students), expensive, private school who have had success at the D2 level AFTER the departure of SDSU and USD. There are more SDSU and USD alumni in Sioux Falls then Augie, as does NDSU and possibly UND. Their facilities are "phenomenal"? Really? That's a pretty strong word. For a D2 school they have solid facilities. D1? Not really. There is a reason we have new FB stadium and are about to spend $10 million or more upgrading Frost.

USD is a Research University which also just happens to have the State of South Dakota's only medical and law schools and has over 10,000 students. You can't be serious in thinking that Augie is a better fit in D1 then USD just because one is in Sioux Falls and the other Vermillion?

I do not get some, I emphasize SOME SDSU fans from Sioux Falls fascination with Augustana. The media I understand, SDSU fans, and alumni?????
          I never said it wouldn't be a challenge and potentially a disaster. But people on here acting like they are Morningside are delusional. They have some things going for them. They even have some things going for them that we didn't like immediate rivalries with XDSU's and UXD's.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            Does your opinion change if the financial issues are off the table and already "taken care of"?
            No, because they aren't and won't be. I find the entire discussion laughable. Lets say Sanford donates 100 million to their endowment. The principal stays intact, the interest is used to help fund "programs" at the school. Even it if it all athletics they will still need to raise millions, annually. They would need to upgrade facilities, expand practice areas, pay FCOA if they want to compete with the 4 bigger Dakota schools. Fund scholarships at over $40K per year. Access to student funds is limited with less then 2,000 students, state support? Nope, they are private. There are so many problems with the scenario of Augie going D1, all financial, I don't know where to even start.

Plus, we do not need, nor can South Dakota support a 3rd D1 school in the state. I do think Augie would be Centenary and that is the last thing the Summit League needs. I also have my doubts that our friends up north will be overly inviting to little Augustana from the old NCC. No interest, none whatsoever. The NSIC is a great place for Augustana to be, they have had BB success and moderate FB success. The smart move for them would be to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              Oh, I have no doubt that some of our SDSU alumni would switch to going to Augie games and tell everyone that it’s because “SDSU priced us out of being able to support them” or some malarkey. Especially when you know once Frost is upgraded that tickets will go up, and people will act shocked and betrayed because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I've toyed with the idea of Augie tickets the last few years, my wife has given the green light for 4 next year. Has zero to do with SDSU, I like basketball and traveling to Brookings that much in the winter isn't appealing or feasible due to other commitments.

I can't imagine ever being an Augie first fan, but they would be an attraction for many Sioux Falls sports fans.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I never said it wouldn't be a challenge and potentially a disaster. But people on here acting like they are Morningside are delusional. They have some things going for them. They even have some things going for them that we didn't like immediate rivalries with XDSU's and UXD's.
                Honestly I feel(felt) that's what the move to Augie U Vs. Augie College was all about. go Doggies!

Comment

No, because they aren't and won't be. I find the entire discussion laughable. Lets say Sanford donates 100 million to their endowment. The principal stays intact, the interest is used to help fund "programs" at the school. Even it if it all athletics they will still need to raise millions, annually. They would need to upgrade facilities, expand practice areas, pay FCOA if they want to compete with the 4 bigger Dakota schools. Fund scholarships at over $40K per year. Access to student funds is limited with less then 2,000 students, state support? Nope, they are private. There are so many problems with the scenario of Augie going D1, all financial, I don't know where to even start.

Plus, we do not need, nor can South Dakota support a 3rd D1 school in the state. I do think Augie would be Centenary and that is the last thing the Summit League needs. I also have my doubts that our friends up north will be overly inviting to little Augustana from the old NCC. No interest, none whatsoever. The NSIC is a great place for Augustana to be, they have had BB success and moderate FB success. The smart move for them would be to stay.
                  If Augie goes D1, why do they have to be relegated to the "3rd D1 school in the state". Maybe with Jackrabbit & Coyote glasses on yes, but not everyone will see them as "3rd".

I think you're severely underestimating the Sioux Falls Community and the powers that be, but that's just me. For the long run, the LAST thing SDSU and USD want is a strong mid-major basketball program located in Sioux Falls.

We shall see.

Comment

I talked to several Omaha players at games. They liked the Summit because it was evident they couldn't compete with Northwest Missouri in football. Don't think the Northern Sun has anything like that, but football is an expensive proposition whether paying for 36 scholies or flying all over the country with the Pioneer League. I think Augie could make a go of it with Stanford money and totally dropping football. If they really wanted to do that. The NSIC has attractions of its own.

Comment

If Augie goes D1, why do they have to be relegated to the "3rd D1 school in the state". Maybe with Jackrabbit & Coyote glasses on yes, but not everyone will see them as "3rd".

I think you're severely underestimating the Sioux Falls Community and the powers that be, but that's just me. For the long run, the LAST thing SDSU and USD want is a strong mid-major basketball program located in Sioux Falls.

We shall see.
                      I must agree with you. Not many high level recruits come from tiny little places like Kimball NE. Sioux Falls would be a much easier sell. Just think if you could get a measly 3% of the metro population to buy into attending games.

Comment

I think a lot of people on here are really underestimating what a DI Augie in the Sioux Falls market with the right finances behind it is capable of. I see this as a enrollment expansion and brand enhancement strategy. If I was a DI recruit Sioux Falls might be a much better destination than Brookings or Vermillion. I will continue to support the Jack's by buying basketball and football season tickets, but to be honest the lack of attendance for playoff football has really dampened by enthusiasm.

Comment

We shall see.
                          I think we can agree on your very last sentence “We shall see”. Otherwise not so sure. A mid major power in Sioux Falls? The Augustana following will have to multiply many times before that becomes a threat. As stated before SF NOT EQUAL TO OMAHA and Creighton not equal to Augustana in terms of basketball following.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 04-04-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                            I must agree with you. Not many high level recruits come from tiny little places like Kimball NE. Sioux Falls would be a much easier sell. Just think if you could get a measly 3% of the metro population to buy into attending games.
                            Just imagine if that measly 3% actually effected SDSU or USD's sports attendance by 5 to 10%? Not enough people or sponsorship dollars to support 3 universities and have us all prosper. I could see a situation where Augies move up sets us all backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              How come they didn't excel in DII like people seem to think they will in DI? The same benefits of being in Sioux Falls were in place then that will be in place now if they move up. We beat them consistently back in those days. Nagy didn't have trouble convincing better recruits to come to State over Augie when we were DII I don't see us all of sudden having issues because Augie is DI.

You can throw money at a program all you want but that alone won't make it successful.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                                I could see a situation where Augies move up sets us all backwards.
                                I agree with this. I could see this.

What I can't see is a scenario when Augie passes SDSU and USD. They will be 3rd in the majority of people's eyes in the State just like in the DII days.

Comment

Working...
                                X