Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    4. We draw well one weekend in March each year. Where does our attendance compare to our NCC days? I'm too lazy right now to search but I would guess our attendance is generally down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was bored and looked back. The attendance numbers are in the Media Guide. I pulled them leading up to the transition, through our first few years in the Summit and pulled the only two years we averaged over 3,000 since moving up.

1997-98 - 5,350
    1998-99 - 3,832
    1999-00 - 4,077
    2000-01 - 3,749
    2001-02 - 4,449
    2002-03 - 3,492
    2003-04 - 3,375
    2004-05 - 1,617 first year Independent
    2005-06 - 2,070
    2006-07 - 1,850
    2007-08 - 2,186 first year Summit
    2008-09 - 2,487
    2009-10 - 2,204

Since moving up we have averaged over 3,000 two seasons
    2011 - 12 - 3,320
    2012 - 13 - 3,625

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I think Augustana University is doing just fine in the SF Arena at the D2 level and maybe that will be AD Morton's conclusion as well. The days of double hitters are over and that was certainly a fan bargain, but maybe too much of one.
      The Sioux Falls Arena may be coming down in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Hockey is a crazy expensive sport. UND spends $4.5 million to put a high caliber team on the ice. I don't now what Omaha spends but if I recall, DU spends over $5 million. No way a D1 Augustana could field a hockey team.
        Women's hockey is the huge issue for a lot of schools, it is pretty much like putting $1 million in a dumpster and setting it on fire. It is a sport nobody wants to watch and it generates zero exposure for the massive investment.

Yeah, in this region if you want to compete on the men's side, better be prepared to pay a coach at least $350-500k a year, offer full cost of attendance scholarships and even then there is no garauntee you'll be successful because you'll just be on par with everyone else.

Comment

Attendance is down, yes. For the student population, I guess I don't get it, but there have always been populations of students who haven't gone to games.

My first year in college, I lived on a floor, where basically no one went to games... it was disheartening. Then, the next year, some dudes moved out, and some new guys moved in, and all of sudden we had a good group of about 12 people who made it to most games.

I would assume the wide ranging entertainment options are part of this, as well. Brookings Cinema has 8 theaters. When I started college, there were 2 different theaters in Brookings.

Netflix, PPV, on demand entertainment.... it's a different world.

I also think the change in the scheduling makes it different... you used to know Friday/Saturday night...game nights.
          I know for me working as a teacher and a coach... I can't make it to a lot of games, and sometimes when I can... I don't want to drive in the cold, and go, especially if I can watch it online. And also, if I have to purchase tickets for my kids as well... well, then you have more expense too.

It's not any one thing. I enjoy going to games, and go when I can (usually), but I don't see it changing soon.

Maybe if we develop into a powerful mid major that is ranked, and move into the new digs, and the team is a constant team to be reckoned with...then attendance will pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Women's hockey is the huge issue for a lot of schools, it is pretty much like putting $1 million in a dumpster and setting it on fire. It is a sport nobody wants to watch and it generates zero exposure for the massive investment.
            Yabut equality tho...

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
              I was bored and looked back. The attendance numbers are in the Media Guide. I pulled them leading up to the transition, through our first few years in the Summit and pulled the only two years we averaged over 3,000 since moving up.

1997-98 - 5,350
              1998-99 - 3,832
              1999-00 - 4,077
              2000-01 - 3,749
              2001-02 - 4,449
              2002-03 - 3,492
              2003-04 - 3,375
              2004-05 - 1,617 first year Independent
              2005-06 - 2,070
              2006-07 - 1,850
              2007-08 - 2,186 first year Summit
              2008-09 - 2,487
              2009-10 - 2,204

Since moving up we have averaged over 3,000 two seasons
              2011 - 12 - 3,320
              2012 - 13 - 3,625
              Nate Wolters.....

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                Nate Wolters.....
                Have to assume the @FakeNateWolters twitter account really helped pump the attendence
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  The Sioux Falls Arena may be coming down in the near future.
                  You use the word may. What does that mean? What is the full story? Is it a case of standing empty during summer and fall and not cash flowing positive? Could this be a motive for the D1 movement?

Comment

You use the word may. What does that mean? What is the full story? Is it a case of standing empty during summer and fall and not cash flowing positive?
                    Depends on cash flow, depends on the next Mayor and City Council. Some see the need for more flat floor space for larger conventions or a space for more hotel rooms.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ena/790890001/

Comment

Depends on cash flow, depends on the next Mayor and City Council. Some see the need for more flat floor space for larger conventions or a space for more hotel rooms.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ena/790890001/
                      I missed this article, thanks for posting this link. If you live SF, your vote tomorrow is important. Yes it is a war horse that has seen better days.

Comment

Thanks JackJD for setting the record straight, on another board, on where Kelby Krabbenhoft got his degrees from. Was waiting for somebody to correct it. SMH.

Comment

Thanks JackJD for setting the record straight, on another board, on where Kelby Krabbenhoft got his degrees from. Was waiting for somebody to correct it. SMH.
                          I don't know what the heck I was doing posting there. And what's wrong with you and me visiting there? LOL! Have to give some credit to the guy who was flat wrong and when that was pointed out, didn't try to dodge it. He conceded he was wrong and wrote "oops!"
                          Last edited by JackJD; 04-10-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I don't know what the heck I was doing posting there. And what's wrong with you and me visiting there? LOL! Have to give some credit to the guy who was flat wrong and when that was pointed out, didn't try to dodge it. He conceded he was wrong and wrote "oops!"
                            Sometimes a fellow just feels like sneaking into the zoo to feed junk food to the animals.
                            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I missed this article, thanks for posting this link. If you live SF, your vote tomorrow is important. Yes it is a war horse that has seen better days.
                              The more I think about it, I wonder if the possibility of the SF Arena being replaced had influenced the D1 rumors and dialogue. Down the road, having a facility to play their men's games in is going to be a necessity. Having to return to the Allmen Center might not be the best option when, this sport is their money maker. It certainly changes their thinking in different directions. One staffer at SDSU who had reliable information told me that Creighton pays the rent of 30 to 40k for each home game. So they have to have sell out crowds to make it flow in a positive fashion. I dont think it will be a good move to spend money for maintenance
                              for the old arena as the article mentions. The WPA project of the aging Volga Auditorium comes up in the Volga Tribune as a topic on the city council agenda. Of course proper maintenance is always the topic. They too have a problem with this dated building.

Comment

Don't look now Argus has a article about augie and the D-1 discussion. as many of you think Zimmer is a huge homer and pushing for it, this is a pretty good read that seems fair and accurate.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X