X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Here is another quote from the History of the Alumni Association:

With over 77,000 members the South Dakota State University Alumni Association is Where Loyalty Lives!
    I think this number might include friends of SDSU. They used to publish directories. Was that where you got your numbers? At any rate is several times more than 7.5k for Augie.
    Alumni comparisons are one variable. Amenities and events available for non-sports fans before and after the game are another. Some of my friends scoff when I say I would like living in Brookings, but I'd be ecstatic to be able to attend all of the Jacks' home games I wanted.

Brookings and SDSU have an opportunity to entice the casual fans by offering things like skills competitions at the SJAC before games [e.g., how close can you, your kid, or your significant other get to Zenner's combine performance (more "bookish" competitors can see if they can top his Wonderlic score)] with the top performers winning prizes. Opening the Dairy Bar again before games is another option.

Downtown Brookings, the Children's Museum, and McCrory Gardens could also get in on the action by creating something like a bingo card where folks who visit participating downtown stores and have their card marked could receive reduced concession prices, and reduced admission could be offered at the Museum and Gardens for visitors having a ticket to an upcoming Jacks game.

Obviously this won't compel folks who want to shop in Sioux Falls while others in their family attend Augie games (or before and after said games), but one criticism I hear from non-Jacks fans is that there's "nothing to do in Brookings," which is inaccurate. Plus, there are folks who need more than tailgating available to convince them to attend a Jacks game.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      Alumni comparisons are one variable. Amenities and events available for non-sports fans before and after the game are another. Some of my friends scoff when I say I would like living in Brookings, but I'd be ecstatic to be able to attend all of the Jacks' home games I wanted.

Brookings and SDSU have an opportunity to entice the casual fans by offering things like skills competitions at the SJAC before games [e.g., how close can you, your kid, or your significant other get to Zenner's combine performance (more "bookish" competitors can see if they can top his Wonderlic score)] with the top performers winning prizes. Opening the Dairy Bar again before games is another option.

Downtown Brookings, the Children's Museum, and McCrory Gardens could also get in on the action by creating something like a bingo card where folks who visit participating downtown stores and have their card marked could receive reduced concession prices, and reduced admission could be offered at the Museum and Gardens for visitors having a ticket to an upcoming Jacks game.

Obviously this won't compel folks who want to shop in Sioux Falls while others in their family attend Augie games (or before and after said games), but one criticism I hear from non-Jacks fans is that there's "nothing to do in Brookings," which is inaccurate. Plus, there are folks who need more than tailgating available to convince them to attend a Jacks game.

A very good post and Mayor Corbett would not disagree with anything said. You can do a search on the Alumni website and I typed in my surname and several names came up such as both my nephews who are Augustana grads. One of them got his masters at SDSU but my other one is not a SDSU fan by any means. I dont have any idea how his name came up other than he was a Wellness Center participant for a while. I wonder about the alumni list as far as completeness or in
      completeness. It might be too inclusive.
      As far as nothing to do in Brookings, those folks were probably not around in early 1950-1960 when Brookings was less than 10,000 and there was just Main Street and 3.2 beer. Boring now? More boring back then.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 04-05-2018, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        . I will continue to support the Jack's by buying basketball and football season tickets, but to be honest the lack of attendance for playoff football has really dampened by enthusiasm.
        I don't think that Augie will go DI and keep football but since they built a new football stadium that only holds 6,500, do you think if they made the FCS playoffs would they fill that small stadium? Cold weather outdoor stadiums are tougher to fill in that type of weather.
        I think some SF fans are just too lazy too drive to Brookings or Vermillion. But if they had a game in their back yard, they might go more often. I do know that Augie's (DII) football tickets were $8 three years ago and tickets for SDSU games are $30 so that might help Augie get fans, too. People like things that are cheap and convenient. I was at the Pentagon watching a youth basketball tourney and I talked to somebody from Brandon that thought every SDSU-USD basketball game should be played in the Denny because he thought they would sell out. He said that he would not drive to Brookings to watch a game though.
        I do agree that the post Hobo Day attendance is bad and playoffs attendance is worse but I know there are more fair weather fans around now then there were before. Some of that is DI with less regional opponents, more expensive tickets, TV and some is just with people aren't as into things like that as the used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          I don't think that Augie will go DI and keep football but since they built a new football stadium that only holds 6,500, do you think if they made the FCS playoffs would they fill that small stadium? Cold weather outdoor stadiums are tougher to fill in that type of weather.
          I think some SF fans are just too lazy too drive to Brookings or Vermillion. But if they had a game in their back yard, they might go more often. I do know that Augie's (DII) football tickets were $8 three years ago and tickets for SDSU games are $30 so that might help Augie get fans, too. People like things that are cheap and convenient. I was at the Pentagon watching a youth basketball tourney and I talked to somebody from Brandon that thought every SDSU-USD basketball game should be played in the Denny because he thought they would sell out. He said that he would not drive to Brookings to watch a game though.
          I do agree that the post Hobo Day attendance is bad and playoffs attendance is worse but I know there are more fair weather fans around now then there were before. Some of that is DI with less regional opponents, more expensive tickets, TV and some is just with people aren't as into things like that as the used to be.
          That price would undoubtedly change if Augie moved up with football.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            That is what I'm talking about. You start splitting the pie and the pieces get mighty small. You have to take your event to the people you can't expect the people come to you. Augie is at the people. That is an advantage.
            That advantage really didn't help them when we were all DII. Why will it help them now?

Comment

Does a school need a conference invite in hand to move up now? If so, how would it possibly be considered advantageous for them to do so? I think USD depends more on Sioux Falls area for corporate sponsorship than SDSU (AG connections), but both view Sioux Falls as the largest potential growth market. Does adding Augie move the needle at all for the North Dakota schools? Omaha? ORU? Denver? WIU?

Unless Sanford is sending bags full of money to the other schools also, I don't think it matters how much Augie raises to go D1, if they don't have a conference home.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                The hospital or the person?
                I heard Kelby K.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                  Yes. Exactly. 100%. I WANT SDSU TO FAIL and Augie to succeed. You got me.

Thanks for the reminder of why I don’t come around this place very often.
                  Sorry to offend you, maybe I mis-read your post, but I found the statement about Augustana surpassing one or both current State D1 schools to be pretty odd. Especially coming from someone who is likely an SDSU grad or has connections to the school. There is history. SDSU, USD, Augie were all in the same league for decades. Augustana was an afterthought. I don't believe for a second that would change just because the great Sioux Falls "powers that be" want to join in the fun and promote Augustana to D1.

I'm very proud of SDSU and what we have done since moving up. Walk onto the campus and you can feel the change. Family of mine who graduated from USD are very proud of their school, their campus has also been revitalized. The idea of Augustana, surpassing and overtaking SDSU... sorry, I find it laughable.

Comment

In order to move up Augie is required to have a conference. Let's assume they decide they want to move up. The Summit is likely the only viable conference for them. In order to add a member school don't the university presidents have to vote? Do SDSU, NDSU, USD, UND, and Omaha want Augie in the Summit? Another regional school to compete with for sponsorship dollars and regional recruits. I have to think they wouldn't. Also, would the schools not close to Sioux Falls want another school in this area? I have to think they wouldn't.

When you consider the costs associated with moving up, and the awful transition the deck is really stacked against Augie. The rich people in Sioux Falls can't just write a check and make Augie successful in DI.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      Sorry to offend you, maybe I mis-read your post, but I found the statement about Augustana surpassing one or both current State D1 schools to be pretty odd. Especially coming from someone who is likely an SDSU grad or has connections to the school. There is history. SDSU, USD, Augie were all in the same league for decades. Augustana was an afterthought. I don't believe for a second that would change just because the great Sioux Falls "powers that be" want to join in the fun and promote Augustana to D1.

I'm very proud of SDSU and what we have done since moving up. Walk onto the campus and you can feel the change. Family of mine who graduated from USD are very proud of their school, their campus has also been revitalized. The idea of Augustana, surpassing and overtaking SDSU... sorry, I find it laughable.
                      You're question was fair.

I agree, just giving Augie a bunch of money won't make them successful.

Comment

D1 hockey @ Augustana? Another interesting twist to this story.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          In order to move up Augie is required to have a conference. Let's assume they decide they want to move up. The Summit is likely the only viable conference for them. In order to add a member school don't the university presidents have to vote? Do SDSU, NDSU, USD, UND, and Omaha want Augie in the Summit? Another regional school to compete with for sponsorship dollars and regional recruits. I have to think they wouldn't. Also, would the schools not close to Sioux Falls want another school in this area? I have to think they wouldn't.

When you consider the costs associated with moving up, and the awful transition the deck is really stacked against Augie. The rich people in Sioux Falls can't just write a check and make Augie successful in DI.
                          Who would you rather have, Augie or IUPUI? I guess its an easy pick for me with Augie. People said we couldn't afford it and it wasn't worth it and why would a state with so little population need a D 1 school etc etc. Same thing with USD moving up. I would think Augie would be more then competitive in basketball in our league(womens team would be top 4 easy in the summit this year), and I mean if they start now, not down the road. They have a decent following as much as SDSU and USD fans like to pick on them. Better then a lot of schools in our conference. I am pretty sure the Xdsu and Uxds would be ok with Augie, 2 closer games then traveling far way against some team no one cares about, Other teams would probably be ok with it if it helps stabilize the conference. I don't really want transition schools to move up but we are hurt by location and others schools to join to make a good conference are limited in the region. They could easily compete in the pioneer for football, winning conference titles and making the playoffs but probably not much after that. Their other sports would be the ones they would need to make a commitment to keep getting better also IMHO.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                            I heard Kelby K.

Go Rabbits!
                            I don't now a lot about Krabbenhoft, but I did see where he earns just under $2 million per year in salary. Bonuses and investments may double his annual earnings. That is a lot of money, but not "I'm going to give you a check for $100 million" or now $150 million, type of money. Especially when he is not a graduate of Augustana, has three kids and only one attended Augustana, to play football.

If any of this is true. And it is not T Denny handing over the check and Krabbenhoft is the leader. Sounds more like a, here is $X million, now go out and raise the rest with the goal being $100 million Capital Campaign, the express goal of Augustana moving up to D1 athletics. That could take years. We shall see.

Comment

IUPUI left the league for the Horizon. But since you ask, IUPUI is a major University with a very successful medical and law school. The school has 30,000 students and an endowment pushing $900 million (larger then Denver's). We like to make fun of them, but academically, they are a very highly regarded University. Which is why they received an invite into the Horizon while IPFW was left behind.

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Who would you rather have, Augie or IUPUI? I guess its an easy pick for me with Augie. People said we couldn't afford it and it wasn't worth it and why would a state with so little population need a D 1 school etc etc. Same thing with USD moving up. I would think Augie would be more then competitive in basketball in our league(womens team would be top 4 easy in the summit this year), and I mean if they start now, not down the road. They have a decent following as much as SDSU and USD fans like to pick on them. Better then a lot of schools in our conference. I am pretty sure the Xdsu and Uxds would be ok with Augie, 2 closer games then traveling far way against some team no one cares about, Other teams would probably be ok with it if it helps stabilize the conference. I don't really want transition schools to move up but we are hurt by location and others schools to join to make a good conference are limited in the region. They could easily compete in the pioneer for football, winning conference titles and making the playoffs but probably not much after that. Their other sports would be the ones they would need to make a commitment to keep getting better also IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                                IUPUI left the league for the Horizon. But since you ask, IUPUI is a major University with a very successful medical and law school. The school has 30,000 students and an endowment pushing $900 million (larger then Denver's). We like to make fun of them, but academically, they are a very highly regarded University. Which is why they received an invite into the Horizon while IPFW was left behind.
                                Well I was more concerned with their athletic programs, to bad out of those 30k students they cant get any to show up for sporting events. I know a lot of people who looked at them for grad school options so its not like its a bad school and neither is Augie. However IUPUI started to get a better women's team after years of struggling, their men's team has only gone down hill since Hunter left, they didn't really do much to help the league. they were a warm body and a game on the schedule. I cant really see Western or IPFW thinking of them as much as a rival. Maybe they do and I am completely wrong. IMHO I feel the league got better losing IUPUI not weaker.

Half the summit is NCC schools anyway. UNC and UNI would always be regional teams that might consider joining forces with, and that basically takes us right back to the NCC going D-1. Another former NCC school is not the worst thing or the end of the world. If there was a dozen other well established mid majors in the 5 state region, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but there is not. that leaves outliers or hoping other defect or build up the conference from with in. Which is my preferred method.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X