Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    If Augie goes D1, why do they have to be relegated to the "3rd D1 school in the state". Maybe with Jackrabbit & Coyote glasses on yes, but not everyone will see them as "3rd".

I think you're severely underestimating the Sioux Falls Community and the powers that be, but that's just me. For the long run, the LAST thing SDSU and USD want is a strong mid-major basketball program located in Sioux Falls.

We shall see.
    So you prefer to see SDSU fail and Augustana succeed? Or is it USD you want to see fail? What an odd post on an SDSU message board.

I think you are overestimating the Sioux Falls community and the "powers that be" and their ability to prop up a College masquerading as a University. I haven't lived in South Dakota for over 20 years. But one thing I know, that doesn't seem to have changed, Sioux Falls and the "powers that be" have huge egos. Thus their need to create their own D1 "University" to compete with the much larger, much more successful Universities.

We shall see what the great and powerful 2,000 student Augustana College does. I'm not overly concerned. Even Zimmer stated he thought it would be a long time before they moved because they do not have the resources. Wait three more years, a 5 year wait to be eligible, that gives SDSU, and likely NDSU some time to find a new home. Once we do, the SLT can move to the Pentagon. Should fit the 2,500 in attendance nicely.

Comment

I think we should clairfy the potential SF support for DI Augie a little. For SDSU and USD, the concern has to be with the often mentioned "casual fans" in Sioux Falls choosing the local option that doesn't require a two hour round trip, in adverse weather conditions. That's a valid concern.

I think we need to add in a little more perspective on the SF fan base though. For SDSU, approximately 8000 alumni live in the metro area. I'm not sure on the number for USD, but I'd place it around 7000, given the breakdown of alumni numbers historically. It could be higher than 7k for USD given the nature of their programs and the offices associated with those programs located in SF.

My question is how many alumni does Augie have in SF? How many are supporting them, attending events, etc. as is? How many more would increase their support/attendence if Augie is DI?

Just based on their historic enrollment, I can't imagine they have more than 4000 alumni in the SF metro. I could be way off, but that would seem reasonable to me (If any one has the actual number, feel free to correct me).

So that being the case, I doubt a potential uptick in attendence from a DI Augie is going to come from increased engagement from their SF alumni, just based purely on the relatively small alumni base in the area, compared with USD and SDSU.

So the concern is that Augie will "steal" the non alumni fans in Sioux Falls that are currently attending Jacks and Yotes games. It's a valid concern, but I don't know what those numbers are.

The big question is how many SF residents who either don't care about the current DI schools, or who are "casual" fans right now would "switch" to Augie. Enough to hurt attendence at State? Probably?

But enough to make Augie viable in DI? Maybe, but I'm not sure.

If we assume that the fan support necessary for this to work for Augie is going to come from growth outside their alumni base, what's the ceiling?

There's a lot of facets to this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
        Just imagine if that measly 3% actually effected SDSU or USD's sports attendance by 5 to 10%? Not enough people or sponsorship dollars to support 3 universities and have us all prosper. I could see a situation where Augies move up sets us all backwards.
        That is what I'm talking about. You start splitting the pie and the pieces get mighty small. You have to take your event to the people you can't expect the people come to you. Augie is at the people. That is an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          That is what I'm talking about. You start splitting the pie and the pieces get mighty small. You have to take your event to the people you can't expect the people come to you. Augie is at the people. That is an advantage.
          I agree in principle. But Augie has been "at the people" this whole time. Obviously, there is a huge difference between D2 and D1 drawing power. Is there going to be huge difference in perception between a Wednesday night game vs IPFW as opposed to a Wednesday night game vs U Mary? Maybe. I'm not sure either way.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
            So you prefer to see SDSU fail and Augustana succeed? Or is it USD you want to see fail? What an odd post on an SDSU message board.
            Yes. Exactly. 100%. I WANT SDSU TO FAIL and Augie to succeed. You got me.

Thanks for the reminder of why I don’t come around this place very often.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              Yes. Exactly. 100%. I WANT SDSU TO FAIL and Augie to succeed. You got me.

Thanks for the reminder of why I don’t come around this place very often.
              That’s not really an answer tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                My question is how many alumni does Augie have in SF? How many are supporting them, attending events, etc. as is? How many more would increase their support/attendence if Augie is DI?

Just based on their historic enrollment, I can't imagine they have more than 4000 alumni in the SF metro. I could be way off, but that would seem reasonable to me (If any one has the actual number, feel free to correct me).
                Looks like your Augie alum estimate is reasonably accurate, as they cite 4k residing in Sioux Falls, with another 3.5k living elsewhere in SD.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  Zimmer definitely is a cheerleader for both. Couldn’t believe the day he said that a Angie or USF game is a better value than an SDSU game as our beat writer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  In Zimmer's defense, that comment was referencing the total cost, including travel, of attending Jacks' games, right?

He also mentioned multiple times that Jacks fans had the good fortune to watch players like Wieneke and Goedert, albeit at least once in the context of ... if fans can't support a team with players like that when the weather is great, then it will be difficult to consistently sell out the stadium, save "rivalry games."

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    Looks like your Augie alum estimate is reasonably accurate, as they cite 4k residing in Sioux Falls, with another 3.5k living elsewhere in SD.
                    Thank you. So 4k in SF for Augie, and a total of 7.5k statewide.

For reference, SDSU has about 30k living alumni in South Dakota.

Comment

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Here's how I gauge and rank current fan base interest, activity and intensity in Sioux Falls:
                      1 - SDSU
                      2 - USD
                      3 - Iowa
                      4 - Nebraska
                      5- Augustana
                      6 - USF
                      7 - Minnesota
                      8 - Iowa State
                      9 - Notre Dame
                      10 - Everyplace else
                      The pie is divided into a lot of pieces, but SDSU has the biggest slice.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Here is a quote from the Alumni Association web page:

The SDSU Alumni Association is an independent, not-for-profit organization, non dues association that welcomes all graduates, former students, faculty, staff and friends of South Dakota State, as well as students, to be SDSU Alumni Association members. We strive to connect alumni to SDSU and each other, through the promotion of the University and by providing valuable benefits, services and resources to members. The SDSU Alumni Association embraces each one of its more than 75,000 alumni and friends who are proud to be Jackrabbits. We are a highly diverse and global family that is an influential force in both keeping STATES traditions alive and advancing South Dakota State University. End of quote.

For several years now the classes graduating are much larger than in my day 1959-65 when enrollment hovered between 3500 and 4200. Your 30k number is probably understate by a few k's. So Jack Nation is what our friend from Augustana want to duplicate? Good luck, all the Augustana advantages will have to watered in order to catch up.

From my days on the SDSU Alumni council, we were furnished a breakdown by state on where the alumni resided, and SD was of course a leader back then as it is now, but I was hoping the webpage had this breakdown but apparently that is not the case. We got to look out for our Augustana intelligence gathers.. Any progressive idea that the state schools put in to practice is often duplicated in Viking land, not the Minnesota one.

Comment

I'm a real big fan, so you have to count me at least 1.5 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Here is a quote from the Alumni Association web page:

The SDSU Alumni Association is an independent, not-for-profit organization, non dues association that welcomes all graduates, former students, faculty, staff and friends of South Dakota State, as well as students, to be SDSU Alumni Association members. We strive to connect alumni to SDSU and each other, through the promotion of the University and by providing valuable benefits, services and resources to members. The SDSU Alumni Association embraces each one of its more than 75,000 alumni and friends who are proud to be Jackrabbits. We are a highly diverse and global family that is an influential force in both keeping STATES traditions alive and advancing South Dakota State University. End of quote.

For several years now the classes graduating are much larger than in my day 1959-65 when enrollment hovered between 3500 and 4200. Your 30k number is probably understate by a few k's. So Jack Nation is what our friend from Augustana want to duplicate? Good luck, all the Augustana advantages will have to watered in order to catch up.

From my days on the SDSU Alumni council, we were furnished a breakdown by state on where the alumni resided, and SD was of course a leader back then as it is now, but I was hoping the webpage had this breakdown but apparently that is not the case. We got to look out for our Augustana intelligence gathers.. Any progressive idea that the state schools put in to practice is often duplicated in Viking land, not the Minnesota one.
                            The 30k number came from a publication from the association from 2010 or 2012 I beleive. They used to have links for breakdown by county and all other states as well. I'm sure it is a little higher than 30k by now.

From what I recall, Minnesota was #2 with about 8k, Nebraska and Iowa each had about 3-4k, and then Wisconsin, Illinois, and Colorado each had somewhere around 1-2k.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                              I'm a real big fan, so you have to count me at least 1.5 times.
                              Dilly Dilly.

Comment

The 30k number came from a publication from the association from 2010 or 2012 I beleive. They used to have links for breakdown by county and all other states as well. I'm sure it is a little higher than 30k by now.

From what I recall, Minnesota was #2 with about 8k, Nebraska and Iowa each had about 3-4k, and then Wisconsin, Illinois, and Colorado each had somewhere around 1-2k.
                                Here is another quote from the History of the Alumni Association:

With over 77,000 members the South Dakota State University Alumni Association is Where Loyalty Lives!
                                I think this number might include friends of SDSU. They used to publish directories. Was that where you got your numbers? At any rate is several times more than 7.5k for Augie.

Comment

Working...
                                X