Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    Comparing Augie moving up to USD? Not even close.

One of the reasons SDSU and NDSU pushed so hard to move up was that D2 had become watered down. We needed to separate ourselves from the small schools moving up from NAIA and the mindset of a lot of our NCC partners who wanted to keep scholarships low and not spend the money necessary to compete. Welcoming Augustana feels like a step backward.

As for the SLT staying in Sioux Falls. It isn't going anywhere if Augustana does not join. Where does it move? Omaha? Minneapolis? Denver? The league would be lucky to get 3,000 in the stands at any of those sites, and 2,000 would be SDSU fans so really nothing would change. Still a "home" game for SDSU. Still whining by our friends down south and up north. With far less revenue and exposure for the league.

Plus, if our entire D1 existence has now been boiled down to keeping the SLT in Sioux Falls? I suggest we have lost our way as an athletic department.
    You are right.

USD is in a small, rural town 15 minutes from an interstate and an hour from the closest airport. Their facilities were sub par, and their fans get excited about beating 1 team.

On the other hand, Augie is in a growing metro of 250,000 with a thriving business community. Their facilities are phenomenal, and their fanbase has already adapted to new rivalries and a completely new league.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We are 98-50 all time in men’s b-ball and 48-21 all time in women’s b-ball. They were mediocre at best when we we all DII. I’ll be shocked if they are any better in DI.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        Believe him or not, Zimmer is a lot more connected to people at SDSU, Augie and the Summit League office than any of we are. He sure could be wrong but in last week's live chat he stated that Larschied was "against a DI move" and in regards to Augie moving up he said, "it's happening". ...
        It's interesting that several sports media people seem to know "it's happening," yet none of them (to my knowledge) have done a story about it for their readers, listeners or viewers.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          We are 98-50 all time in men’s b-ball and 48-21 all time in women’s b-ball. They were mediocre at best when we we all DII. I’ll be shocked if they are any better in DI.
          Almost anyone would have said the same about our football program before we made the move up.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            You are right.

USD is in a small, rural town 15 minutes from an interstate and an hour from the closest airport. Their facilities were sub par, and their fans get excited about beating 1 team.

On the other hand, Augie is in a growing metro of 250,000 with a thriving business community. Their facilities are phenomenal, and their fanbase has already adapted to new rivalries and a completely new league.
            If I'm SDSU and USD, I'm very concerned with USD going D1 for the reasons you mention, particularly as it relates to basketball. I definitely don't want them in the Summit League. If you take the long-view, look at what Creighton has been able to do in Omaha. Don't kid yourselves, this potential move is a real threat to the State schools. Maybe not immediately, but it will be.

And for those who think this won't happen or the money isn't there I have 3 words for you: Stephanie. Herseth. Sandlin.

Comment

Outside of the size of the enrollment of Augie which I think is irrelevant Augie is a brand that has potential to explode in Sioux Falls. A lot of people moving into the Metro area with no ties to the State Schools and with Augustana in the city along with significant alumni they will surprise people with following if they put a winning product on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                You are right.

Augie is a tiny (last number I found from 2017, less then 2,000 students), expensive, private school who have had success at the D2 level AFTER the departure of SDSU and USD. There are more SDSU and USD alumni in Sioux Falls then Augie, as does NDSU and possibly UND. Their facilities are "phenomenal"? Really? That's a pretty strong word. For a D2 school they have solid facilities. D1? Not really. There is a reason we have new FB stadium and are about to spend $10 million or more upgrading Frost.

USD is a Research University which also just happens to have the State of South Dakota's only medical and law schools and has over 10,000 students. You can't be serious in thinking that Augie is a better fit in D1 then USD just because one is in Sioux Falls and the other Vermillion?

I do not get some, I emphasize SOME SDSU fans from Sioux Falls fascination with Augustana. The media I understand, SDSU fans, and alumni?????

Comment

My personal gut reaction is that if Augie moves to D-I, it would be a disaster . . . for Augustana.

I think the Augie-to-DI advocates look at how "easy" NDSU, SDSU, and USD made it look to move into D-I from D-II.

And then I look at examples like Centenary in Shreveport (market size similar to SF). I look at examples like UMKC in Kansas City.

How easy has Ft. Wayne found the transition? Omaha (hockey excepted as it's kind of a special case)? Presbyterian College? CSU-Bakersfield?

Maybe NDSU, SDSU and USD did "made it look easy" to transition from D-II to D-I. For every NDSU or SDSU who moved up and almost immediately started making NCAA men's basketball tournaments, there are a bunch of D-II move-ups who haven't, and bunches more D-I schools who have never, ever made the NCAA men's basketball tournament. And that's not even considering football.

It ain't easy.

Are Augie-to-DI boosters prepared to live through five or six 20-loss men's basketball seasons in a row? Will they be able to take the attendance hit from multiple consecutive losing seasons . . . and not just losing, getting CLOBBERED by D-I schools while they're in their transition period.

It ain't easy.

Maybe they'll do it anyway. If so, good luck to them; they'll need it.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    Augie is a tiny (last number I found from 2017, less then 2,000 students), expensive, private school who have had success at the D2 level AFTER the departure of SDSU and USD. There are more SDSU and USD alumni in Sioux Falls then Augie, as does NDSU and possibly UND. Their facilities are "phenomenal"? Really? That's a pretty strong word. For a D2 school they have solid facilities. D1? Not really. There is a reason we have new FB stadium and are about to spend $10 million or more upgrading Frost.

USD is a Research University which also just happens to have the State of South Dakota's only medical and law schools and has over 10,000 students. You can't be serious in thinking that Augie is a better fit in D1 then USD just because one is in Sioux Falls and the other Vermillion?

I do not get some, I emphasize SOME SDSU fans from Sioux Falls fascination with Augustana. The media I understand, SDSU fans, and alumni?????
                    Oh, I have no doubt that some of our SDSU alumni would switch to going to Augie games and tell everyone that it’s because “SDSU priced us out of being able to support them” or some malarkey. Especially when you know once Frost is upgraded that tickets will go up, and people will act shocked and betrayed because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      Believe him or not, Zimmer is a lot more connected to people at SDSU, Augie and the Summit League office than any of we are. He sure could be wrong but in last week's live chat he stated that Larschied was "against a DI move" and in regards to Augie moving up he said, "it's happening".

It's going to happen or not regardless of how I feel so I'm not losing any sleep over it one way or another. There certainly is some good in lots more local interest in the league, easier travel (for us fans also), the security of another baseball team and even more reason for the SLT to always be in Sioux Falls. If they throw all their resources at basketball Augie might hang in there better than some of these commuter schools we currently deal with and they have actual fans and an arena. It's also hard not to see a whole lot of similarity between the anti-Augie arguments and the anti-USD arguments from a decade ago. Deja Vu.
                      I am beginning to sense some substance here about what is going on. I have not tuned into a Zimmer chat since Terry left so if he is talking freely about Larschied's departure, then there has to be something going on. I am not not anti-Augie by any means. I am however skeptical of a relatively small private school making such a move. If we find out about major gifts, then the skepticism will quickly disappear. I have two nephews and a niece all siblings who are Augustana Grads and very proud of their education. Being Norwegian and Lutheran I too am proud of Augustana and their little sweetheart of a president. She is a smart lady and no doubt pushing full steam ahead for the move to D1 in athletics. I just hope they dont make some quick and bad decisions which could lead to bankruptcy. I.E Yankton College and Huron College? Where are they now? They were once thriving institutions who went under without a move to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        And for those who think this won't happen or the money isn't there I have 3 words for you: Stephanie. Herseth. Sandlin.
                        On that last point, TK, I'm curious why you suggest Augie, with Stephanie at the helm, may have an easy time raising money? I think she was a decent money raiser when in politics...but, she lost her last election and I suspect some may say she didn't spend enough. Without knowing the fact, I would guess Stephanie is a very good supporter of athletics (she was a runner and that puts her in the "good people" category in my book ). But I don't see Herseth-Sandlin presenting any particular advantage to Augustana if the school elects to move to D-1. I see a lot of headaches on the horizon. Some may argue that D-1 in South Dakota is already crowded with two school at that level. Adding a third? Wow. Big risk that could prove to be a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          On that last point, TK, I'm curious why you suggest Augie, with Stephanie at the helm, may have an easy time raising money? I think she was a decent money raiser when in politics...but, she lost her last election and I suspect some may say she didn't spend enough. Without knowing the fact, I would guess Stephanie is a very good supporter of athletics (she was a runner and that puts her in the "good people" category in my book ). But I don't see Herseth-Sandlin presenting any particular advantage to Augustana if the school elects to move to D-1. I see a lot of headaches on the horizon. Some may argue that D-1 in South Dakota is already crowded with two school at that level. Adding a third? Wow. Big risk that could prove to be a big mistake.
                          Stephanie is in a different role now and can fundraise from both D's & R's when necessary. People that liked her but couldn't work with her in the past due to her political party can now do so freely (cough, cough).

I believe SHS was put in that chair with a specific directive. We shall see.

Comment

Augie could be the new Centenary of the Summit! Oh what a joy it would be!
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

We can poke fun at Augie all we want but they are in a good spot. If they got rid of football and threw enough $ at bball they are good to go. Get SF to buy in and claim them as "their" team they have more than enough population to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                If I'm SDSU and USD, I'm very concerned with USD going D1 for the reasons you mention, particularly as it relates to basketball. I definitely don't want them in the Summit League. If you take the long-view, look at what Creighton has been able to do in Omaha. Don't kid yourselves, this potential move is a real threat to the State schools. Maybe not immediately, but it will be.

Augie is not Creighton and Sioux Falls is not Omaha. My wife graduated from Creighton, we have lived in Omaha, I have relatives who graduated from Augie and I lived in Sioux Falls for years before moving west. Creighton has almost 9,000 students, almost half are post graduate many who did their undergrad at Creighton. The school is very geographically diverse with well over 60% of the students from outside of Nebraska. It is Catholic, wealthy (almost $500 million endowment) and the schools alumni are incredibly loyal. They fit in the Big East. They have never been anything but a Division 1 athletically and going back decades have been successful. The greater Omaha area is pushing 1 million in population, Sioux Falls has around 250,000. There is money in Sioux Falls, nothing like you see in Omaha. I get what you are saying, but Sioux Falls is not Omaha and Augie is not Creighton.

My opinion is mine. Augie goes D1 they will struggle financially. That will have a direct affect on the Summit league and SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X