Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

I looked at how Augustana compares to the other Summit League schools in five categories:
    Athletic Revenue, Enrollment, Endowment, Academic Ranking and Metro Population. I also included UMKC as they are returning, and I included University of St. Thomas as they have also been mentioned as a potential target.

Here is how Augie ranks out of the 12 schools:
    Athletic Revenue: 11th
    Enrollment: 12th
    Endowment: 8th
    Academic Ranking: 12th
    Metro Population: 7th

Here is a link to the charts showing all the schools:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7WOzcm/pubhtml

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
      I looked at how Augustana compares to the other Summit League schools in five categories:
      Athletic Revenue, Enrollment, Endowment, Academic Ranking and Metro Population. I also included UMKC as they are returning, and I included University of St. Thomas as they have also been mentioned as a potential target.

Here is how Augie ranks out of the 12 schools:
      Athletic Revenue: 11th
      Enrollment: 12th
      Endowment: 8th
      Academic Ranking: 12th
      Metro Population: 7th

Here is a link to the charts showing all the schools:
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7WOzcm/pubhtml
      These are interesting stats, but I believe in Augustana long range plan is to increase enrollment and also to build on revenue with corporate sponsorships which will probably fall into place much easier than Brookings even with statewide following with AG Associations. Is St Thomas a future member? It sure looks like that is the plan. I believe St. Thomas was briefly part of the NCC in the very early days. What is the source of this information? Just curious!

Comment

Anybody see the story in the Argus (don't have the link handy) about fraud at Sanford with their top surgeon and implicating Krabenhoft? Sounds like it could be a major deal for Sanford. Wonder if/how this impacts potential nest money available now and in the future for the Augie move sick Krabenhoft i's the big pusher for the reclassification. Interesting stuff that I fully admit may not be relevant to the Augie to DI stuff, but it does involve some key players in the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          These are interesting stats, but I believe in Augustana long range plan is to increase enrollment and also to build on revenue with corporate sponsorships which will probably fall into place much easier than Brookings even with statewide following with AG Associations. Is St Thomas a future member? It sure looks like that is the plan. I believe St. Thomas was briefly part of the NCC in the very early days. What is the source of this information? Just curious!
          Augie's bad academically? Does that lessen the snotty superiority they demonstrated when I was in school? Doesn't twelfth mean worse than ORU?

Comment

Finally looked at the Google Sheet. Don't think that means worst academically, only smallest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              Anybody see the story in the Argus (don't have the link handy) about fraud at Sanford with their top surgeon and implicating Krabenhoft? Sounds like it could be a major deal for Sanford. Wonder if/how this impacts potential nest money available now and in the future for the Augie move sick Krabenhoft i's the big pusher for the reclassification. Interesting stuff that I fully admit may not be relevant to the Augie to DI stuff, but it does involve some key players in the discussion.
              Here is the Argus Link which might put Kelby Kraftenhoft and the Sanford nest money, as Mr Tibbs stated in his post, in jeopardy in terms of fund raising for Augie as Kelby appears to be spearing the Augie move. It seems complicated and kind out of the realm of Augie for now. Stay tuned..

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ft/1592565001/
              Last edited by Nidaros; 06-28-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                Finally looked at the Google Sheet. Don't think that means worst academically, only smallest.
                Yes smallest to date. They have had a big campaign since the 1990's about the Augustana Advantage and with various grants and scholarship bright students could complete their degree in three years or something to that affect. Its been a while since I heard any promotion. Augie seems to be doing fine academically. I got 2 nephews and a niece who graduated from Augustana, and one of them told me that he was very skeptical of the D1 move. Everyone has an opinion. I still think they are eyeballing Creighton down the road as their model.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 06-29-2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  Correct, the Universities are grouped by mission, level of research, where their students come from (regional vs national) and other criteria. A national research university does not inherently imply that the university has higher academic standards than a regional university for example. Rank within ones classification is a better indication of academic quality/rigor than what classification the institution is in when looking at undergraduate programs.

Comment

Here is the Argus Link which might put Kelby Kraftenhoft and the Sanford nest money, as Mr Tibbs stated in his post, in jeopardy in terms of fund raising for Augie as Kelby appears to be spearing the Augie move. It seems complicated and kind out of the realm of Augie for now. Stay tuned..

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ft/1592565001/
                    My afterthoughts about article are that T. Denny Sanford donate sufficiently to Sioux Valley Hospital to rename the hospital but he did not buy the hospital. Kelby is on the hook for first firing the doctor and later rehiring him. Even this action most likely has no effect on Augustana move to D1. T Denny has the goal to die a pauper. So do you see a 100 million dollar gift or more to Augustana for the move to D1? I do.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-29-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

My afterthoughts about article are that T. Denny Sanford donate sufficiently to Sioux Valley Hospital to rename the hospital but he did not buy the hospital. Kelby is on the hook for first firing the doctor and later rehiring him. Even this action most likely has no effect on Augustana move to D1. T Denny has the goal to die a pauper. So do you see a 100 million dollar gift or more to Augustana for the move to D1? I do.
                      Isn’t Kelby one of (or the one) who is really pushing for Augie to go DI within Sanford?
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                        Isn’t Kelby one of (or the one) who is really pushing for Augie to go DI within Sanford?
                        Yes but most likely with T. Denny Sanford’s money. That is why we have to stay tuned. I suspect Sanford Hospital will give generous support to the Augie move, but T. Denny and his money is key to this whole deal. Pure speculation on my part, but on the surface this is what appears to be going on. I believe Kelby is on the Board of Trustees at Augie.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 06-30-2019, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Kelby Krabbenhoft is not on the Board of Trustees for Augustana.
                          http://www.augie.edu/about-augustana...board-trustees

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            Kelby Krabbenhoft is not on the Board of Trustees for Augustana.
                            http://www.augie.edu/about-augustana...board-trustees
                            You got me again. Thank you for the correction. That is a very talented group Of Board of Trustees, if I might say so. Kelby is a Concordia in Moorhead Mn gradate and even played BB for the Cobbers. Other than voiced an opinion in favor oF Augustana moving to D1, I dont fine any google connections between Augustana University and Kelby. I take that back a founded a dated article June 24, 2018:

https://www.apnews.com/ff489c6e64f8431a99f0d453c7fa674c
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 06-30-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Augie to the Summit is the most over-hyped conference story of the past two years. About a dozen Augie officials and supporters, and a half-dozen local sports reporters and broadcasters in Sioux Falls are the only people who really care. It's an easy story. But in terms of league stability and national consequence, the additions of UMKC and UND are much bigger stories.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Honestly if I were the Summit League I'd invite St. Thomas long before I'd invite Augie--even with the 10(?) year wait before they would be a full D-I member.

If we're recreating the NCC we might as well go all the way back to a charter 1922 NCC member in a major metro area.

I'm not totally opposed to Augie but I don't see what they bring that a St. Thomas won't except a warm body a bit quicker. Plus St. Thomas would be a nationally significant sports story in a way Augie will never be.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X