Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    I actually think that is a big driver for this. The Sanford campus isn't far from the Augie campus, and with the medical school in Vermillion, it doesn't lend itself very well for collaboration or recruiting. If T. Denny can give a huge donation and bring Augie to DI in athletics, it will likely bring academics and enrollment to a higher level as well.

I see Augie as a much bigger threat to USD than to SDSU. There is much more crossover in academics with USD, and Augie going DI isn't going to infringe on SDSU's dominance in Ag or Engineering.
    Cannot dispute the point about Engineering and Agricultural. Though the Augie movers and shakers should not look a gift horse in mouth (they do that to check the horses teeth to make they are all there), T Denny may not been the only game in town. Kelby mentioned working other philanthropists such as Microsoft Bill Gates, so another deep pocket. It is hard to imagine, these guys don’t want something in exchange for their gifts.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 07-13-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

There's a complicating factor in assumptions that T. Denny Sanford is an Augie supporter. His girlfriend works in the administration at USF, not Augie. What makes people so sure that he'll be handing money over to Augie rather than USF or somewhere else?
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        There's a complicating factor in assumptions that T. Denny Sanford is an Augie supporter. His girlfriend works in the administration at USF, not Augie. What makes people so sure that he'll be handing money over to Augie rather than USF or somewhere else?
        If they put his name on something or rename the school for him perhaps.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

yeah the girlfriend stands in the way! Please!!! Does she have T Denny by the gonads? If so, she has influences. I for one have nothing to prove that T Denny will produce this large and mighty gift, but it seems plausible to me since he is determined to die a pauper.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 07-15-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...in/1745108001/
            Matt Zimmer has a great interviewee's with President Herseth Sandlin and AD Morton on Augie's planes. The link is above.

Comment

It would have been nice if SDSU would have gotten a steady stream of fawning, positive press before it made the move to D-1, like Augie is getting. Instead, SDSU had to deal with criticism from other colleges and universities in South Dakota, and a very doubting and unsupportive press. That changed a few years later, when USD finally decided it should move up, too.
              This space for lease.

Comment

It would have been nice if SDSU would have gotten a steady stream of fawning, positive press before it made the move to D-1, like Augie is getting. Instead, SDSU had to deal with criticism from other colleges and universities in South Dakota, and a very doubting and unsupportive press. That changed a few years later, when USD finally decided it should move up, too.
                The press is one thing. I think that's fair to look at and question. But how the board of regents put so many stipulations on that we had to follow that usd didnt bothers me more.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I
                  Originally posted by goon View Post
                  The press is one thing. I think that's fair to look at and question. But how the board of regents put so many stipulations on that we had to follow that usd didnt bothers me more.
                  I think SDSU being the pioneer had a more of a challenge in going down D1.path, we had to prove it would work in this one horse state. I think Stephanie is on the right path and answered the questions in a complete fashion.

Comment

I moved the "St. Thomas to the Summit" posts from today to that thread:

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...issouri-Valley

Seems like St. Thomas deserves an active thread of their own.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Minneapolis Tribune is reporting that the Summit League is meeting with Augustana Administrators "in the week ahead." I think there is a Summit League Presidents meeting on Nov. 4th.

http://www.startribune.com/move-to-d...ity/562294522/

We may be hearing more announcements soon.

Comment

Before we dis Augie, let's pay attention to existing programs. WIU for one. I'd heard rumors that because of declining enrollment and money woes (plus drawing about 300 a home game) that they were headed to D2 with someone associated (at a fairly high level) with the GLVC. His comment was-- "God, I hope not, that's a horrible program and a horrible place to get to."

I wish 'em well because they're the closest geographical point in the Summit, but there's something wrong with a program like that. I think Augie and St. Thomas should both be admitted. Better to have an even number for travel partners but there are several existing programs that are marginal and no where nearly as solid as either of the two potential members.

Also, Augie is nothing like Centenary.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                          Before we dis Augie, let's pay attention to existing programs. WIU for one. I'd heard rumors that because of declining enrollment and money woes (plus drawing about 300 a home game) that they were headed to D2 with someone associated (at a fairly high level) with the GLVC. His comment was-- "God, I hope not, that's a horrible program and a horrible place to get to."

I wish 'em well because they're the closest geographical point in the Summit, but there's something wrong with a program like that. I think Augie and St. Thomas should both be admitted. Better to have an even number for travel partners but there are several existing programs that are marginal and no where nearly as solid as either of the two potential members.

Also, Augie is nothing like Centenary.
                          This.

I would gladly swap Augie and Western Illinois. At least I know that Augie would be driven to improve their product. Plus it would put a few more dollars in our athletic coffers with the increase in basketball attendance for the men and women.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            This.

I would gladly swap Augie and Western Illinois. At least I know that Augie would be driven to improve their product. Plus it would put a few more dollars in our athletic coffers with the increase in basketball attendance for the men and women.
                            Agreed! I also would have taken Augie before UMKC.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              This.

Agree agree but am waiting for an announcement that Augustana signed a contract with Learfield. Yes then we worry.

Comment

I am also supportive of Augie joining. And I wouldn't worry about it if they sign with Learfield. Learfield knows how to handle competing interest to the benefit of all involved. They currently represent SDSU and USD, Kansas and Kansas State, Iowa and Iowa State , and many other rivals. The men and women assigned to each school are ambitious to move up and will only work harder for their respective institutions if that happens.
                                Last edited by Rabbit74; 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X