Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    The availability and enthusiasm of players and fans is almost irrelevant. There's not enough long-range corporate support in the Sioux Falls area to adequately fund two D-1 programs, let alone three of them, even if Sanford sticks $10 million (or whatever) into Augie's pockets. All this chatter by Augie's media cheerleaders is getting old. It's time to move on to other topics.
    Tell that to players playing in front of empty gyms in the above schools. You are dead wrong on the second point. Sanford has enough money to make a difference at Augie. Additionally, there is corporate money in Sioux Falls that Augie can capture that USD and SDSU will never touch.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Tell that to players playing in front of empty gyms in the above schools. You are dead wrong on the second point. Sanford has enough money to make a difference at Augie. Additionally, there is corporate money in Sioux Falls that Augie can capture that USD and SDSU will never touch.
      Like what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Would take Augie if they can figure out the finances over some of the current Summit members (Western I'll and IFPW) and UMKC. Augie has better media coverage, facilities, coaching, fan support and commitment to success than the schools listed above. I think they would be competitive in most sports quicker than most think. Desirable school for academics and Sioux Falls experience for student athletes. I think the only thing holding Augie back from next step is what to do about football. It's either drop the program all together or Pioneer and non-scholarship. I just don't buy the watered down argument for DI athletes. With one DI school in Minnesota there are plenty of athletes out there. I think you could argue they are getting border line DI athletes at Augie in many sports all ready.
        Desire and being competitive are big steps toward improvement, look at some Summit teams that never seem to improve much, they aren't that competitive with the top 3 teams in the Summit, year in and year out.

Comment

The stepping stones for the march to D1 are falling into place in Sioux Falls. I dont watch SF tv but missed this announcement.

goaugie.com/news/2018/7/30/general-david-primus-named-associate-athletic-director-of-marketing-and-communications.aspx?path=ge

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            The stepping stones for the march to D1 are falling into place in Sioux Falls. I dont watch SF tv but missed this announcement.

goaugie.com/news/2018/7/30/general-david-primus-named-associate-athletic-director-of-marketing-and-communications.aspx?path=ge
            I can not get the link to work. I must be missing something. Those with more savy are welcome to correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I can not get the link to work. I must be missing something. Those with more savy are welcome to correct.

http://www.goaugie.com/news/2018/7/3...nications.aspx

Here you go.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                Many thank you’s. I interested knowing who they hire to step up dealing with the business community in SF, a key to D1.

Comment

Sounds like Augie will make the decision whether to pursue Division 1 by end of the year as reported by several news outlets. Don't really have an opinion either way, but doubt they would finally announce they are exploring the move and a decision will be made by years end if they haven't secured the money and made the decision to go. The expanding employment needs of Sanford Health could drive a lot of the academics. Just noticed end of fiscal year which is Summer of 2019 to make a decision.
                  Last edited by JACKGUYII; 10-13-2018, 03:45 AM.

Comment

P
                    Sounds like Augie will make the decision whether to pursue Division 1 by end of the year as reported by several news outlets. Don't really have an opinion either way, but doubt they would finally announce they are exploring the move and a decision will be made by years end if they haven't secured the money and made the decision to go. The expanding employment needs of Sanford Health could drive a lot of the academics. Just noticed end of fiscal year which is Summer of 2019 to make a decision.
                    It going to take many, many corporate sponsorships and the full time marketing guy is working on this near impossible project. If he is havin success, then it’s likely a green light. There are businesses in Sioux Falls who won’t give SDSU or USD a nickel, but will give to Augie because they are local and possibly would get a bigger bang for their advertising dollar. In the back of my mind, it’s going to happen. Midco’s coverage of the amateur baseball tournament at Rankin field showed outfield wall covered with billboards. I haven’t been to Heuter Field in some time possibly we can match and exceed the quality and quantity of billboards.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-13-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I think if the media outlets know they are going to make a decision, then we know what the decision will be.

If they've decided against it, I really doubt anyone would have heard anything.

Comment

The question I have is regarding the Augie football team. Do they think the MVFC is going to want to add another western team? Certainly lots of speculation on a number of fronts, but from what I've heard the MVC wants to add Murray State, which then means adding them to the MVFC. I'm assuming the MVC schools will sort of expect a quid pro quo from the Summit Schools for letting UND into the MVFC. So does the MVFC really want to add 2 more teams, especially 2 that appear like they may make Indiana State suddenly look like a powerhouse?

I mean really, three Division I teams in a state the size of SD? And people complain about the number of different classes of HS football here... I personally hope if Augie moves up they maybe go the non-scholarship FB route or ditch the program all together (which seems less likely). Frankly, I don't want another DI football program fighting for local players. Or maybe worse yet, getting the dregs and dragging down the power level of the MVFC. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                          The question I have is regarding the Augie football team. Do they think the MVFC is going to want to add another western team? Certainly lots of speculation on a number of fronts, but from what I've heard the MVC wants to add Murray State, which then means adding them to the MVFC. I'm assuming the MVC schools will sort of expect a quid pro quo from the Summit Schools for letting UND into the MVFC. So does the MVFC really want to add 2 more teams, especially 2 that appear like they may make Indiana State suddenly look like a powerhouse?

I mean really, three Division I teams in a state the size of SD? And people complain about the number of different classes of HS football here... I personally hope if Augie moves up they maybe go the non-scholarship FB route or ditch the program all together (which seems less likely). Frankly, I don't want another DI football program fighting for local players. Or maybe worse yet, getting the dregs and dragging down the power level of the MVFC. JMHO.
                          Augie has been lackluster in the NSIC, I can't imagine them being anything close to competitive in the MVFC. I don't see how they'd fit anywhere else but the Pioneer for football competitively; not to mention financially.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            Augie has been lackluster in the NSIC, I can't imagine them being anything close to competitive in the MVFC. I don't see how they'd fit anywhere else but the Pioneer for football competitively; not to mention financially.
                            It depends on how you define "lackluster" and "competitive" I suppose.

If my math is right, from 11-17 they have gone 25-23 in league play and 42-36 overall. That seems competitive to me... maybe not good, but they are competitive enough to win half their games.

I don't know if Augie in DI will be successful. From what I've seen of the Pioneer, "competing" in that league wouldn't take much. There are some things that weigh heavily in their favor, and some that don't. Lots of people crapped on SDSU/NDSU with seemingly solid logic and were completely wrong.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              I would define SDSU as lackluster in football in the NCC.

Comment

I would define SDSU as lackluster in football in the NCC.
                                Bingo! Lots, and I mean LOTS, of people said we couldn't do it. They will be better than people think but I do think their hill is a bigger climb than ours was. But, no reason they can't do it if we did. They just need the funds.

Comment

Working...
                                X