X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    consider this.

if this were to have taken place 10 years ago.

We'd have seen Wolters at Augie.

Nagy would still be here. Daum likely would not be (no Nate)

how many times do we get to the dance considering the above?

Is the Augie move good for us?

read that till it sinks in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    If Augie was D1 ten years ago, maybe they don't make a run at Wolters. Maybe they had already filled their available roster spots.

Maybe SDSU is more aggressive in local recruiting with Augie in conference 10 years ago so we go after Nate sooner.

Revisionist history can go a number of ways and really doesn't mean anything.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      consider this.

if this were to have taken place 10 years ago.

We'd have seen Wolters at Augie.

Nagy would still be here. Daum likely would not be (no Nate)

how many times do we get to the dance considering the above?

Is the Augie move good for us?

read that till it sinks in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Maybe Nagy gets fired and we end up with Nate Oats and now we are the 13th ranked team in the nation! This is fun.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        Maybe Nagy gets fired and we end up with Nate Oats and now we are the 13th ranked team in the nation! This is fun.
        this is fun, maybe if Stig doesnt get a 5 year extension we get Urban Meyer.

Comment

Coach K maybe wants a new challenge and sandford gives us money to pay him 10 million a year.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

A couple pages back there was a lot of talk about basketball attendance and what will happen with Augie's attendance at the D1 level.

The likelihood is to see attendance drop. Losing Friday/Saturday doubleheaders and moving to weeknight games is a big factor. Games being on ESPN, Midco, and others is also a factor. Go out on a cold night to spend $20 for a ticket and $10 for overpriced mediocre concessions or watch the game in HD on the big screen at home with a good meal and a few blue yummies? Multiply that for a family of 4 to 5 and many are choosing the stay at home option.

We all love, myself included, to look back on the NCC glory days of a packed Frost Arena and those epic rivalry battles. You had to ways to take in the game back then, buy a ticket or listen on the AM radio. I so miss the atmosphere of those games. SDSU has lost that entirely. The only thing close is the Summit League Tournament which Augie would only help elevate.

Welcome to D1 Augustana. We knew it would happen. They were, are, and will always be the little private school that we whoop up on. Looking forward to it again.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Augie having the majority of its base in town will most likely overcome week day game slump attendence. I dont like the doubleheaders as much as I used too regardless of long drive. Long time to sit!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Augie having the majority of its base in town will most likely overcome week day game slump attendence. I dont like the doubleheaders as much as I used too regardless of long drive. Long time to sit!
                It could certainly help. Will be interesting to see.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  Augie will be fine. They have the population to draw from,enrollment numbers don't matter. If SF adopts them as their team they are good to go. Their biggest challenge may be in facilities or lack there of.
                  Of course enrollment matters. To a large degree, enrollment determines a school's fan base. Perhaps more importantly, it determines a big share of a school's future donor base. Business support can come go. A school's graduates are likely to remain loyal and supportive of their alma mater. Sioux Falls will not automatically become an Augie town. Ask supporters of USF, SDSU, USD, NU, Iowa, Iowa State, U of M, or graduates and supporters of several other regional colleges that live or work in Sioux Falls.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Of course enrollment matters. To a large degree, enrollment determines a school's fan base. Perhaps more importantly, it determines a big share of a school's future donor base. Business support can come go. A school's graduates are likely to remain loyal and supportive of their alma mater. Sioux Falls will not automatically become an Augie town. Ask supporters of USF, SDSU, USD, NU, Iowa, Iowa State, U of M, or graduates and supporters of several other regional colleges that live or work in Sioux Falls.
                    Enrollment matters more in towns the size of Brookings or Vermillion. Omaha, Des Moines or Sioux Falls not so much. Large potential marketing base if you can put a quality product on the floor.
                    Last edited by JACKGUYII; 12-15-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Enrollment matters more in towns the size of Brookings or Vermillion. Omaha, Des Moines or Sioux Falls not so much. Large potential marketing base if you can put a quality product on the floor.
                      I've come around to the thought that one result of Augie to D-I is that it will re-energize SDSU's Sioux Falls fan base for something other than the Summit League tournament.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I've come around to the thought that one result of Augie to D-I is that it will re-energize SDSU's Sioux Falls fan base for something other than the Summit League tournament.
                        I think your on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          1. More stable conference,
                          2. An additional Summit League baseball team
                          3. Their strong athletic base for moving up including recent DII national titles in baseball, men's and women's basketball points to a very respectable conference addition,
                          4. Increased attendance due to additional local rivalry,
                          5. Every challenge forces you to work harder and become stronger
                          6. Increased interest/coverage of DI athletics
                          7. 18 game conference schedule for basketball should end regular season games against the likes of SDSMT
                          I don’t have any problems with your positives all very good. What still bothers me is the Augie Administration being able to connect with the SF business community. Right now I sense a gulf that can be overwhelming but am likely wrong.

Comment

The plan to add three dorms at Augustana seems to follow a Creighton vision and more academic programs. Enrollment will more of a future issue for Augustana.

Comment

Augie didn't own Sioux Falls in the old D-2 days, when crowds at conference basketball games in the region were significantly larger than they are these days (even though the universities and communities were smaller). About the only thing that's changed, other than the flight to D-1, is that the Summit Tournament has replaced the old Holiday Tournament as an annual attraction in Sioux Falls.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

• Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                If I'm SDSU/USD, I say "okay, Sanford/Krabbenhof/whoever, whatever donations you make to Augustana to facilitate their move to D-I, you match that with equal donations to our institution, above and beyond what you've given and pledged to give to us until now."

If they're hell-bent on doing this, I see no reason why SDSU and USD presidents' yea vote in the Summit League shouldn't come with a price tag attached.
                                Yep. Make the pay the hell out of us to make up for the money Augie is going to leech away from us. If they threaten to pull donations, fine. This stunt was going to cost us tons of money anyways from a fundraising standpoint, and guess what. SDSU will be around anyways and eventually they’re going to want back in on us. Put the serious squeeze on them if they want to be little bastards.
                                I wish people would wake up and realize the size of the enrollment is irrelevant to the number of people you get to a sporting event. I believe Augie has a strong local following and will build on that. All those SDSU and USD supporters who live in the Sioux Falls market who refuse to drive 50 miles north or south, but show up at Summit League tournament will help add attendence at the old Arena for home Augie games against the State schools.
                                When you changing your name to AugieGuyII champ.
                                Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                                As I said earlier you're well within your duties as an SDSU booster to share these feelings with your administrators. I'm sure people such as former Augie Ast AD Jeff Holm would gladly here you out. I'm not expecting a D1 transition to be fair or easy but since we're talking in hypotheticals, what would stop a corporate donor like Kelby, a man who has negotiated billion dollar mergers, from flipping the script on SDSU and pulling or reducing their donations and giving it to Augie unless they voted Augie into the Summit?

I truly understand why SDSU fans dont like this, Augie sucked in the NCC across the board, the fear of increased competition for SF money/attention, change in general, etc. However I still believe the most likely scenario is Augie receiving a Summit invite with little drama.

I didnt realize the WCC was on the table for DU, that would be far more enticing than the Summit. Has the WCC reciprocated any of that interest? WIU is in such a remote location I'm surprised theyve made it this far so I see why that sows doubt.
                                I don’t like it because your leech asses want to jump into something that SDSU fans made great while stealing sponsors from SDSU athletics that we will need. SDSU fans made the SLT a huge deal and your punk ass school got jealous and want to horn in on it after we did the work. I hope you guys go the route of Centenary for this bull**** coattail riding and guaranteed leeching away of our resources. GTFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X