Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    You mention a key factor, population 900,000. Metro SF is what? 200000? That’s If you count the chickens in Tea. This fever of being like area down the road seems to be what is driving this notion of Augustana going D1. Some in SF are going to have to make the long and burdensome 55 mile journey for a few more years for D1 sports. ...
    The population of the Sioux Falls metro area is about 252,000. That's nearly 30 percent of the state's population. Other than a couple anonymous Augie officials and / or boosters and two or three reporters and broadcasters, I sense no "fever" related to Augie going D-1.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

The way I see it, the city is much smaller, the alumni base is much smaller, the revenue opportunities are much smaller and the passion for the school is much less. Could all this change over time? I suppose so, but I don't see it.
      Also add in the fact that you have two DI teams within an hour that both have decent established fan bases.

Augie going DI could be a success but I think the odds would swing heavily towards the move being a failure. Literally the only thing they would have going for them is a reasonably sized metro area without a DI team.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Also add in the fact that you have two DI teams within an hour that both have decent established fan bases.

Augie going DI could be a success but I think the odds would swing heavily towards the move being a failure. Literally the only thing they would have going for them is a reasonably sized metro area without a DI team.
        This is the fever that I am speaking of. The skyfarts are not enough. SF wants more.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what happens with Augie. Like most, my belief is it is a longshot but not impossible.

Creighton would be the "shining light" out there that everyone would point to as an example of things working out well and having a bigtime basketball program. As the poster above points out, there is a big difference in 200,000 population and 900,000. For that one shining light though you could point to any number of schools where it didn't go that well. Centenary has been mentioned. This is not a no-brainer.

Also, you could argue that there is less competition in Omaha for the sports dollar than in Sioux Falls. Both towns have essentially the same organizations competing for those dollars.

That all said, it is a possibility that they make the move. Who are we to say it couldn't work. Remember how many naysayers we had in our own fanbase? Now, I'm not comparing the two as equal situation because they aren't. They are quite different. When you look at the flourishing sports scene in Sioux Falls it is hard to doubt the possibility. Is the appetite that strong for the local Sioux Falls business community to really get behind a move like this? Are they willing to jump behind this like Fargo does their football program? The "Playmakers" group in Fargo is strong and If they are, then it could be successful for sure. Without it the chances are slim.

If Augie was to make the jump the goal would certainly be to fill the Denny with Augie fans. The one question I have is regarding the Summit League Tournament. Isn't there a rule in the Summit League that it can't be held on the home court of a member school? Augie could play in the Arena and the tourney could still be in the Denny. Am I wrong on that?

Final thought, if Augie made the jump, the goal wouldn't be to be a member of the Summit League. They'd love that as a starter but the goal would be to move up to a bigger basketball conference. Which one? I don't know but there would certainly be a desire to make it a higher level program. It would have to be to draw the fans in big numbers.

Just my $.02.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

When I started this thread a couple weeks ago, referring to a rumor on the goyotes board. I had no idea that it would still be an active discussion some 27 pages later. Of course the rumor was further enhanced by the presser at which the new Augie AD was introduced and when asked about the possibility, neither President Herseth Sandin or the the new AD poured any cold water on the possibility and implied that the proper role for Augie athletics would be studied. Do I support or oppose the move? That is not my role one way or another. I am sure if they are interested, they will do a careful study and make the decision they feel is best for them. And that's the way it should be. Probably none of us know enough about their situation to give them advice. But it sure is fun to read speculation that may be close to accurate as well as speculation that has no basis in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
              When I started this thread a couple weeks ago, referring to a rumor on the goyotes board. I had no idea that it would still be an active discussion some 27 pages later....
              Yeah, thanks a lot!
              filbert: the moderators, having been forced to at least speed-read the posts in this thread, are going to press for a significant boost in their pay.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Yeah, thanks a lot!
                filbert: the moderators, having been forced to at least speed-read the posts in this thread, are going to press for a significant boost in their pay.
                Hmmm, can we treat any unfounded speculation of Augie jumping up like political opinions and ban them from the forum? Lock this thread and wait to continue this discussion until something becomes official, if it ever does. I get that it's the slow season for SDSU athletics but I for one could care less about any Augie speculation. If they decide to then I'll decide to care.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  Hmmm, can we treat any unfounded speculation of Augie jumping up like political opinions and ban them from the forum? Lock this thread and wait to continue this discussion until something becomes official, if it ever does. I get that it's the slow season for SDSU athletics but I for one could care less about any Augie speculation. If they decide to then I'll decide to care.
                  I don't think you have to read this thread if it doesn't interest you.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    I don't think you have to read this thread if it doesn't interest you.
                    I do this all the time, read the threads that interest me, then go to "mark all threads read" ,and they're all gone. The next day starts fresh.Yes, I agree, this thread is clearly labeled, so the subject matter pretty much pertains to the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                      We haven't mentioned golf or rodeo yet. I once saw a bumper sticker that said something to the effect that the main difference between the two is that it only takes one ball to play golf.
                      It usually takes me 3-10 balls to play golf, depending on the course and how many beers I've had...
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        I find it interesting that so many Sioux Falls media, and those who want Augustana to move up (even some of our own fans) think Augie is a shoe in for Summit membership if they choose to move up. I'm not sure that is true. I can think of a number of schools who would likely vote against the addition. Beginning with DU and ending with WIU and ORU.
                        I haven't seen any of our fans arguing that they WANT Augie to move up, just that it isn't completely unrealistic. Holding a different (pragmatic) opinion doesn't automatically mean someone wants it.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          It usually takes me 3-10 balls to play golf, depending on the course and how many beers I've had...
                          I judge how well my golfing goes for the day by how many holes I can play the same ball. Or if I get Par or a birdie then I am more then happy with how it went regardless of the other holes.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Yeah, thanks a lot!
                            That's easy! Pay doubled. Maybe more if the magic money from alleged Augie donors comes thru.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              We could move it to Smack. Seems like there are unplumbed depths of snark and sarcasm we have barely touched so far.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

https://tarleton.edu/division1/docum...march-2018.pdf

Hate to keep this dog going, but it's the dead time of the year. Hopefully it will be long dead before football action picks up in a few months. This is relevant since it shows that Tarleton is a lot more viable for D1 than Augie, and that the WAC and Southland are more marginal than the Summit/MVFC (I think we knew that). I still think that pieces of the Summit might fit together with pieces of the WAC in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X