Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=90922

And opposition and snarkiness on the NSIC board.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      https://tarleton.edu/division1/docum...march-2018.pdf

Hate to keep this dog going, but it's the dead time of the year. Hopefully it will be long dead before football action picks up in a few months. This is relevant since it shows that Tarleton is a lot more viable for D1 than Augie, and that the WAC and Southland are more marginal than the Summit/MVFC (I think we knew that). I still think that pieces of the Summit might fit together with pieces of the WAC in the future.
      Thanks for sharing, no doubt interesting information. I remember being on the D2Football message board and arguing about Josh Ranek making the NFL with the SID from Tarleton. Tarleton has gone deep in the playoffs in D2. I can not comment on the last few years since dont follow D2 football anymore. Dont have time to read today, but will when it slows down for me, I will. It is fun to look at these studies and see what's going on.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 04-19-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Yes I noticed, I am glad I dont go their much anymore. I guess some of my snarkness from D2 football was carried over to this board. Now I know why I was banned for a month. I am getting to old for snark.

Comment

Well I'll never get those precious minutes of my life back

Comment

zombie thread.jpg

Why won't you die?

Comment

The Augie thing seems to be heating up again...I wish SDSU, USD and NDSU would tell Kelby to pound sand. Augie would be a negative addition to our league...

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...WCCkTM.twitter

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                The Augie thing seems to be heating up again...I wish SDSU, USD and NDSU would tell Kelby to pound sand. Augie would be a negative addition to our league...

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...WCCkTM.twitter

I feel like it's the SF sports media (one outlet in particular) that keeps pushing this not really anybody else.
                Well and I guess Kelby.

Comment

I have some contacts in Augie admin. They admit they are talking about it but suggest it is far from a decision made. I thought Kelby's December deadline for a decision was interesting. But some of his comments seemed strange. For example he talked about not elevating all sports at the same time. You can't just move part of the program but maybe he meant emphasizing or developing some of the sports first and not putting emphases on other until later.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                    I have some contacts in Augie admin. They admit they are talking about it but suggest it is far from a decision made. I thought Kelby's December deadline for a decision was interesting. But some of his comments seemed strange. For example he talked about not elevating all sports at the same time. You can't just move part of the program but maybe he meant emphasizing or developing some of the sports first and not putting emphases on other until later.
                    interesting take, but you are right about the all or none of sports moving up. I would think he was referring development of programs. I can’t imagine he was thinking hybrid movement.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-08-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                      I think he talked about that in regard to football having to start out non-scholarship and then maybe transition later. I don't get why he was talking about NDSU, we were fairly aggressive with how we ramped up spending.

That said Kelby is smart enough to realize Augie is never getting into the MVFC, the Dakota schools and UNI will have none of another 63 scholarship program moving into the region. Especially a program that is going to be horrendous and basically just leach off all the other programs.

Comment

I think he talked about that in regard to football having to start out non-scholarship and then maybe transition later. I don't get why he was talking about NDSU, we were fairly aggressive with how we ramped up spending.

That said Kelby is smart enough to realize Augie is never getting into the MVFC, the Dakota schools and UNI will have none of another 63 scholarship program moving into the region. Especially a program that is going to be horrendous and basically just leach off all the other programs.

Assume they wouldn't bring football, or at least not bring it right away.

What programs are ready?
                        Baseball/Softball would be ready, it doesn't take money to move them really and they have the facilities

Basketball- I think they'd prolly be in that UNO/WIU I think they'd be able to develop a program that can compete every few years but you are going to struggle with SDSU/USD with recruiting and tho their facilities are nice, they aren't SDSU/USD quality..... The thing with basketball is you can go find 10-15 players to make yourself competitive and a name for yourself.

other non-revenue sports, yeah you can compete but you are non-revenue.....

I think Augie has a problem, they can be good in D-II where no one really cares or they can be average in D-I where some people might care

Comment

I don't know what Augie thinks they'll compete in, sure they just won a DII title in baseball but ORU laughs at that. In softball NDSU has a entrenched program that beats top 25 teams and the school is investing millions into facilities.

Basketball there is a ton of competition and new facilities. I am not sure Kelby grasps just how far behind Augie is, their NSIC success is cute but it isn't going to get them anywhere in the Summit. They'll need 10's of millions just to compete. They are better off where they are, sad Sanford owns the SF media and nobody is willing to give Kelby the cold hard dose of reality that he needs.

Comment

I don't know what Augie thinks they'll compete in, sure they just won a DII title in baseball but ORU laughs at that. In softball NDSU has a entrenched program that beats top 25 teams and the school is investing millions into facilities.

Basketball there is a ton of competition and new facilities. I am not sure Kelby grasps just how far behind Augie is, their NSIC success is cute but it isn't going to get them anywhere in the Summit. They'll need 10's of millions just to compete. They are better off where they are, sad Sanford owns the SF media and nobody is willing to give Kelby the cold hard dose of reality that he needs.

I think you are spot on about the resources. They need to hire some cracker jack planners to make this work. As far as Sioux Falls Community falling in step to this movement, I would want to see it before I would believe it. Studying Grand Canyon University seems to me to be a model, a weak possibility. A private tuition driven institution in a growing city and beautiful weather except in the summer. They, GCU, are going ballistic with on line courses and all sorts of gimmicks to up their enrollment. That just is not good Lutheran thinking. I still think Bill Gross's conclusion that D2 is a better fit for Augustana is still a good fit.

Comment

Would take Augie if they can figure out the finances over some of the current Summit members (Western I'll and IFPW) and UMKC. Augie has better media coverage, facilities, coaching, fan support and commitment to success than the schools listed above. I think they would be competitive in most sports quicker than most think. Desirable school for academics and Sioux Falls experience for student athletes. I think the only thing holding Augie back from next step is what to do about football. It's either drop the program all together or Pioneer and non-scholarship. I just don't buy the watered down argument for DI athletes. With one DI school in Minnesota there are plenty of athletes out there. I think you could argue they are getting border line DI athletes at Augie in many sports all ready.
                              Last edited by JACKGUYII; 06-10-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

The availability and enthusiasm of players and fans is almost irrelevant. There's not enough long-range corporate support in the Sioux Falls area to adequately fund two D-1 programs, let alone three of them, even if Sanford sticks $10 million (or whatever) into Augie's pockets. All this chatter by Augie's media cheerleaders is getting old. It's time to move on to other topics.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X