Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Some of the comments on this thread sound embarrassingly close to what you could have read on the Goyotes board in 2003-4 when we were making our decision to move up (I don't think that board actually existed then but you get the point.) Augie will figure out what is best for them based on a carefully study. That is the way it should be. If our support base is so fragile that competition from Augie moving up is a major threat to our success (I don't believe that is the case.) then that is our problem to solve and not a reason for Augie to hold back. Angie has some visionary leadership right now and I think that is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
      Some of the comments on this thread sound embarrassingly close to what you could have read on the Goyotes board in 2003-4 when we were making our decision to move up (I don't think that board actually existed then but you get the point.) Augie will figure out what is best for them based on a carefully study. That is the way it should be. If our support base is so fragile that competition from Augie moving up is a major threat to our success (I don't believe that is the case.) then that is our problem to solve and not a reason for Augie to hold back. Angie has some visionary leadership right now and I think that is great.
      I get that. And I agree that it does echo some of the narrative seen around the state in 04.

But it's really apples to oranges. In 2004, South Dakota was one of three states (including ND) that didn't have a division 1 university in the state. If you count hockey and UND, then we were the only one in the lower 48. SDSU was the largest, land grant university in the state, with the highest research expenditures. Comparing the naysayers to SDSU's move in 2004 to naysayers of Augie's move isn't really fair. The Dakota schools should have been D1 since 1978, when 1AA became an option. We were about 25 years late in moving up.

That doesn't mean that Augie won't move up and make it work. They might research it and decide it can work and be 100% correct in doing so. But on the surface, the odds of that seem much longer for this potential move up than the last two in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        I get that. And I agree that it does echo some of the narrative seen around the state in 04.

But it's really apples to oranges. In 2004, South Dakota was one of three states (including ND) that didn't have a division 1 university in the state. If you count hockey and UND, then we were the only one in the lower 48. SDSU was the largest, land grant university in the state, with the highest research expenditures. Comparing the naysayers to SDSU's move in 2004 to naysayers of Augie's move isn't really fair. The Dakota schools should have been D1 since 1978, when 1AA became an option. We were about 25 years late in moving up.

That doesn't mean that Augie won't move up and make it work. They might research it and decide it can work and be 100% correct in doing so. But on the surface, the odds of that seem much longer for this potential move up than the last two in the state.
        I totally agree that comparing SDSU in 2004 and Augie in 2018 is apples and oranges. What is not apples and oranges is USD fans second guessing SDSU and SDSU fans second guessing Augie more out of concern for the impact of the aspirations of another universities on ones own school than on a knowledge of the capabilities of the other school.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
          D1 hockey @ Augustana? Another interesting twist to this story.

Go Rabbits!
          I can't believe some of the fans on the Yote board who think that they or Augie could take over the Sioux Falls market by playing Div 1 hockey in the Denny. They must not realize what a money rat-hole D1 hockey is, especially starting a program from scratch - and even more so if you are renting the Denny. Not to mention the Title IX headaches it would bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
            Some of the comments on this thread sound embarrassingly close to what you could have read on the Goyotes board in 2003-4 when we were making our decision to move up (I don't think that board actually existed then but you get the point.) Augie will figure out what is best for them based on a carefully study. That is the way it should be. If our support base is so fragile that competition from Augie moving up is a major threat to our success (I don't believe that is the case.) then that is our problem to solve and not a reason for Augie to hold back. Augie has some visionary leadership right now and I think that is great.

I have been a big fan of President Herseth-Sandlin for a long time, and she is still very attractive. Your comment that appears in bold I strongly agree and that earned you rep points. I dont feel threaten by an Augustana or anyone else move to D1. Its not easy and expensive, more so for a tuition driven university such as Augustana. As far as apple and oranges, I like and consume both and have no further comment.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 04-07-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
              Gaskins was embarrassing following the interview.
              This par for him. He is a moron. I used to listen to him before he left for "greener pastures" in Lincoln. Wasn't impressed then and I assume his attitude hasn't changed since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                Augie will have to bring more than basketball teams to the Summit. Otherwise, why would the league even want them? For starters, make them bring baseball to help shore up team numbers in that sport.
                This would be a positive. That is a baseball program, but Commissioner Douple does not seem worried if the Summit falls below the required number of schools offering baseball. He said it would be easy to pick up affiliate members. I think Augustana would be wise to study how Notre Dame, Loyola, DePaul and Villanova operates and then develop a similar plan. Following a USD or SDSU plan would be a disaster. State supported are very different from private institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I can't believe some of the fans on the Yote board who think that they or Augie could take over the Sioux Falls market by playing Div 1 hockey in the Denny. They must not realize what a money rat-hole D1 hockey is, especially starting a program from scratch - and even more so if you are renting the Denny. Not to mention the Title IX headaches it would bring.
                  Might Augie have an easier shot of initiating hockey though, particularly if FB went non-scholarship?

This would assume they attempted to implement men's and women's hockey simultaneously, thereby satisfying Title IX reqs. for that sport.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    Might Augie have an easier shot of initiating hockey though, particularly if FB went non-scholarship?

This would assume they attempted to implement men's and women's hockey simultaneously, thereby satisfying Title IX reqs. for that sport.
                    Study the big privates and realize those in the gutter will have fun this comment. Dashing into hockey is a big risk that Augustana cannot afford. I suspect basketball at Creighton is a separate enterprise from the rest of the athletic department. Creighton was once in the NCC. They have come a long ways since the 1920’s and the NCC.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

UND dropped women's hockey because of the cost. I'm sure people think travel costs wouldn't be bad if you get in a conference with UND, Omaha and some of the Minnesota schools. But it's where you have to go to fill a non-conference schedule - East coast schools, Alabama - Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage ,etc... that kills the budget.

Comment

I guess we should prepare for USF rumors and speculation next. If Augie can raise enough money to move up in sports, so can USF. The Cougars seem to have some fat-cat boosters who enjoy needling Vikings' donors.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Study the big privates and realize those in the gutter will have fun this comment. Dashing into hockey is a big risk that Augustana cannot afford. I suspect basketball at Creighton is a separate enterprise from the rest of the athletic department. Creighton was once in the NCC. They have come a long ways since the 1920’s and the NCC.
                          I'm not necessarily saying it's likely for either; rather, I was curious if it would be more feasible for Augie than the 'Yotes.

Augie would seemingly be able to satisfy Summit League eligibility criteria with its current sports offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            I guess we should prepare for USF rumors and speculation next. If Augie can raise enough money to move up in sports, so can USF. The Cougars seem to have some fat-cat boosters who enjoy needling Vikings' donors.
                            Yes It’s a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              It's pretty evident that those who went Div 1 sooner rather than later are way ahead,most of them anyway.

Comment

I have no information on any of this but of course have a few thoughts.

1. It is really hard to imagine Sanford Health throwing game changing money at Augie for a division one move but then again, the health system seems to throw money around at any number of ridiculous projects.

2. It's not hard to imagine T. Denny the man throwing a big chunk of change at Augie. We are after all talking about the same modest, humble man who "reluctantly" has his name on a health system, a statue out front, his name on buildings and is humbly building himself something like a presidential library. Sanford University or Sanford Augustana University or some iteration is not hard to imagine. The reality is that Augustana is really only a"church" school historically and when planned givers are working potential elderly donars who are not alumni. There is no ministry aspect at schools like Augie anymore. The meager pittance the "ELCA" schools get from the denomination mean nothing to the school's budget. Nearly all private schools started as church affiliated institutions. A sizeable endowment would easily break the final link to the school's parochial past.

3. Don't underestimate a small private school's fundraising ability. I don't fully understand why, after paying 4 or 5 times the tuition for the same degree at the state school alumni feel moved to donate to small, private liberal are schools but they do. Alumni feel more of an ownership in their schools. A case in point is Gustavus in St Peter. Both schools are "ELCA" schools, for what it's worth. Similar in size. GAC probably has a better academic reputation but that might simply be because of its MIAC affiliation and it's Ivy League of the West reputation. At any rate, GAC receives 7 and 8 figure donations on a fairly routine basis. Augie had demonstrated some of that prowess as well.

4. We draw well one weekend in March each year. Where does our attendance compare to our NCC days? I'm too lazy right now to search but I would guess our attendance is generally down. That's not to say our revenue is down as well but even the USD/NDSU rivalry games don't seem to draw well. Having another traditional opponent should help to build casual interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X