Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 364

Thread: Augie to the Summit?

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,203

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    I think it would be crazy to think they could replicate what Creighton has done with their program. Nebraska as a state is extremely supportive of their collegiate teams. Creighton finished 4th in men's attendance this year. Nebraska men's basketball finished 11th...and they are the only power 5 team without a tournament victory. Nebraska football has the longest sell out streak in the nation. Husker women's volleyball leads the nation in attendance. Husker women's basketball last year (16-17) was below 500 and finished 17th in the nation for attendance. Look at Omaha as a sports town and the attendance they put up for the CWS or the last 2 Olympic SwIm Trials....they are event driven, and Creighton basketball is an event.

    To look at things and say we are going to follow the Creighton model just isn't realistic.
    Not surprising considering they have no professional sports to compete with. Still, I think you consumed too much of the Nebraska coolaide.

  2. #252

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Still, I think you consumed too much of the Nebraska coolaide.
    Tell me how you figure that. Never said any of the teams are good, just said that their attendance was. Don't let a blind hatred of all things Nebraska affect what you read.

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,203

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    Tell me how you figure that. Never said any of the teams are good, just said that their attendance was. Don't let a blind hatred of all things Nebraska affect what you read.
    I don't hate as actually have been a Husker football fan for a long time other than when Peleni was there and when they play the Jack's. Definitely a hysteria around football. In terms of Creighton I give them credit for creating a brand and a event around their Mens basketball. I just dont think it's "crazy to imagine Augie over time could create some similar synergy in Sioux Falls for basketball.

  4. #254

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I don't hate as actually have been a Husker football fan for a long time other than when Peleni was there and when they play the Jack's. Definitely a hysteria around football. In terms of Creighton I give them credit for creating a brand and a event around their Mens basketball. I just dont think it's "crazy to imagine Augie over time could create some similar synergy in Sioux Falls for basketball.
    I won't say it can't happen because anything is possible but it is still an extremely long shot at best. Creighton is in a metro area of 900,000. While their undergraduate population may not be huge, their alumni base is full of doctors and lawyers who have the opportunity to stay close and support their alma mater thanks to being in Omaha and the proximity of Lincoln.

    When they took off as a basketball school, they were the only D-1 game in town. By putting 17,000+ in the seats they were able to blow by their MVC counterparts and sink more and more into their program creating even more separation. For those of you who view the MVC and Summit as equals, picture the monetary advantage a team in the Summit would have if they had that type of attendance every night.

    The way I see it, the city is much smaller, the alumni base is much smaller, the revenue opportunities are much smaller and the passion for the school is much less. Could all this change over time? I suppose so, but I don't see it.

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington SD
    Posts
    12,034

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    I won't say it can't happen because anything is possible but it is still an extremely long shot at best. Creighton is in a metro area of 900,000. While their undergraduate population may not be huge, their alumni base is full of doctors and lawyers who have the opportunity to stay close and support their alma mater thanks to being in Omaha and the proximity of Lincoln.

    When they took off as a basketball school, they were the only D-1 game in town. By putting 17,000+ in the seats they were able to blow by their MVC counterparts and sink more and more into their program creating even more separation. For those of you who view the MVC and Summit as equals, picture the monetary advantage a team in the Summit would have if they had that type of attendance every night.

    The way I see it, the city is much smaller, the alumni base is much smaller, the revenue opportunities are much smaller and the passion for the school is much less. Could all this change over time? I suppose so, but I don't see it.
    You mention a key factor, population 900,000. Metro SF is what? 200000? That’s If you count the chickens in Tea. This fever of being like area down the road seems to be what is driving this notion of Augustana going D1. Some in SF are going to have to make the long and burdensome 55 mile journey for a few more years for D1 sports. I have lived in urban areas where fighting traffic is no fun. Having conveniences blocks away is ideal. I now enjoy one horse Arlington where if there is dozen parked cars on Main Street, there something big going on.

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,692

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    You mention a key factor, population 900,000. Metro SF is what? 200000? Thatís If you count the chickens in Tea. This fever of being like area down the road seems to be what is driving this notion of Augustana going D1. Some in SF are going to have to make the long and burdensome 55 mile journey for a few more years for D1 sports. ...
    The population of the Sioux Falls metro area is about 252,000. That's nearly 30 percent of the state's population. Other than a couple anonymous Augie officials and / or boosters and two or three reporters and broadcasters, I sense no "fever" related to Augie going D-1.
    "Nobody thought there'd be days like these. Strange days, indeed." - John Lennon

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    4,080

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJack View Post

    The way I see it, the city is much smaller, the alumni base is much smaller, the revenue opportunities are much smaller and the passion for the school is much less. Could all this change over time? I suppose so, but I don't see it.
    Also add in the fact that you have two DI teams within an hour that both have decent established fan bases.

    Augie going DI could be a success but I think the odds would swing heavily towards the move being a failure. Literally the only thing they would have going for them is a reasonably sized metro area without a DI team.

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington SD
    Posts
    12,034

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Also add in the fact that you have two DI teams within an hour that both have decent established fan bases.

    Augie going DI could be a success but I think the odds would swing heavily towards the move being a failure. Literally the only thing they would have going for them is a reasonably sized metro area without a DI team.
    This is the fever that I am speaking of. The skyfarts are not enough. SF wants more.

  9. #259
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,006

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    It will be interesting to see what happens with Augie. Like most, my belief is it is a longshot but not impossible.

    Creighton would be the "shining light" out there that everyone would point to as an example of things working out well and having a bigtime basketball program. As the poster above points out, there is a big difference in 200,000 population and 900,000. For that one shining light though you could point to any number of schools where it didn't go that well. Centenary has been mentioned. This is not a no-brainer.

    Also, you could argue that there is less competition in Omaha for the sports dollar than in Sioux Falls. Both towns have essentially the same organizations competing for those dollars.

    That all said, it is a possibility that they make the move. Who are we to say it couldn't work. Remember how many naysayers we had in our own fanbase? Now, I'm not comparing the two as equal situation because they aren't. They are quite different. When you look at the flourishing sports scene in Sioux Falls it is hard to doubt the possibility. Is the appetite that strong for the local Sioux Falls business community to really get behind a move like this? Are they willing to jump behind this like Fargo does their football program? The "Playmakers" group in Fargo is strong and If they are, then it could be successful for sure. Without it the chances are slim.

    If Augie was to make the jump the goal would certainly be to fill the Denny with Augie fans. The one question I have is regarding the Summit League Tournament. Isn't there a rule in the Summit League that it can't be held on the home court of a member school? Augie could play in the Arena and the tourney could still be in the Denny. Am I wrong on that?

    Final thought, if Augie made the jump, the goal wouldn't be to be a member of the Summit League. They'd love that as a starter but the goal would be to move up to a bigger basketball conference. Which one? I don't know but there would certainly be a desire to make it a higher level program. It would have to be to draw the fans in big numbers.

    Just my $.02.

    SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

  10. #260
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,277

    Default Re: Augie to the Summit?

    When I started this thread a couple weeks ago, referring to a rumor on the goyotes board. I had no idea that it would still be an active discussion some 27 pages later. Of course the rumor was further enhanced by the presser at which the new Augie AD was introduced and when asked about the possibility, neither President Herseth Sandin or the the new AD poured any cold water on the possibility and implied that the proper role for Augie athletics would be studied. Do I support or oppose the move? That is not my role one way or another. I am sure if they are interested, they will do a careful study and make the decision they feel is best for them. And that's the way it should be. Probably none of us know enough about their situation to give them advice. But it sure is fun to read speculation that may be close to accurate as well as speculation that has no basis in reality.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •