Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Oh I dont know, Augie sucks as far as I am concerned. Just joking. That's more my perception than anything. Valpo is just outside of Chicago and Augie is out in the toolies of Sioux Falls. Having been around Chicago for several years, they hardly know where the Dakotas are located on the map, let alone traveled through. The bottom line is both are very good institutions of which I did not have the brains or the resource to attend. What ever happened to the Augustana Advantage promotion? You dont hear anything about it any more.
    Does this (bold) mean they're not as smart as they think they are?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Does this (bold) mean they're not as smart as they think they are?
      You got it. I worked with a Valpo grad while in Chicago. She was an excellent and well trained employee but probably not good with geography. What ever happened to the Augustana Advantage? I suppose its buried in some warehouse with having a Jackrabbit for Lunch and the You can go anywhere signs.

Comment

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so apologize for the thread drift. Potential future Summit member UMKC has just hired Billy Donlan as their new head men's basketball coach. You may remember that he was Nagy's predecessor at Wright State.

Comment

I have a connection to Augie so I get their magazine when it comes out. In the issue that came out this week President Herseth Sandlin talks about their 2030 plan. She reaffirms that Augie's plan is to go DI. The stated goal is a conference invite by December of next year. This is not new info but is in her words in their publication. My question is that when that happens wouldn't it be better for SDSU if they were in the Summit rather than somewhere else? I'm sure the WAC would take them so I don't see getting an invite as a limiting factor.

Comment

There's discussion on the D2 board that St. Thomas (who was almost thrown out of the MIAC for being too large/dominant) may try to get into the Northern Sun for a few years on the way to D1--probably the Summit (apparently you can't just jump from D3 to D1). Notice that they just invested into a new arena with a sub-2000 seating capacity, so I think that would present some problems, even in the Summit.

Apparently Sid Hartman had predicted this eventual D1 move back in the eighties. Who knew the Tommies were such an unstoppable athletic force?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
              I have a connection to Augie so I get their magazine when it comes out. In the issue that came out this week President Herseth Sandlin talks about their 2030 plan. She reaffirms that Augie's plan is to go DI. The stated goal is a conference invite by December of next year. This is not new info but is in her words in their publication. My question is that when that happens wouldn't it be better for SDSU if they were in the Summit rather than somewhere else? I'm sure the WAC would take them so I don't see getting an invite as a limiting factor.
              Nothing good would come out of trying to keep Augie out of the Summit and having them in the WAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                Nothing good would come out of trying to keep Augie out of the Summit and having them in the WAC.
                It is going to happen and for both basketball programs an away game at first will be another home game depending how fast Augustana following in SF grows. In old NCC days, SDSU fans often took over Elman center. I suspect we pick up where we left off. It’s good for SDSU in the long run if Augie chooses to invest in athletics. I think it’s time we get off our high horse and start visualizing Augustana as a Summit League member.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 04-22-2019, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I was shocked and depressed at ORU, I found the surroundings at Macomb bleak, I've rattled around in the Municipal Auditorium in KC (although Swinney wasn't bad, although very D2'ish), and had a parking lot shuttle driver at the Fairgrounds Arena in Indy try to convince me to go to the Butler game rather than IUPUI. I drive 800 miles round trip to Omaha because it's an actual game experience that's pleasant.

Certainly, Augie has got to be better than most of what's in the Summit now or in recent memory.

Comment

I was shocked and depressed at ORU, I found the surroundings at Macomb bleak, I've rattled around in the Municipal Auditorium in KC (although Swinney wasn't bad, although very D2'ish), and had a parking lot shuttle driver at the Fairgrounds Arena in Indy try to convince me to go to the Butler game rather than IUPUI. I drive 800 miles round trip to Omaha because it's an actual game experience that's pleasant.

Certainly, Augie has got to be better than most of what's in the Summit now or in recent memory.
                    THIS!

Comment

Grand Canyon may be off I-29, but they are assembling a strong coaching staff to compete in the WAC. This is a program throwing resources into a sport.
                      • Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 8h8 hours ago More

• Copy link to Tweet
                        • Embed Tweet
                        • Mute @JonRothstein
                        • Unmute @JonRothstein
                        • Block @JonRothstein
                        • Unblock @JonRothstein
                        • Report Tweet
                        • Add to other Moment
                        • Add to new Moment

Grand Canyon's Dan Majerle has hired former Texas A&M and Virginia Tech assistant Isaac Chew as an assistant coach, per release. Also recently hired former UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.

Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

UMKC upgrades:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...229593714.html

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                          Oh boy, and this is who Nagy replaced?

Comment

I've been doing a bit of looking at Augie basketball since it looks like this might be a done deal, including videos of their national championship run. Good size, at least in that year, but they look awfully white and slow.

What's the deal with that? Can't Billiter recruit African American kids? Football team isn't all pasty white so I can't think that it's the culture of the school. Is TB a coach that can't recruit nationally?

Comment

I've been doing a bit of looking at Augie basketball since it looks like this might be a done deal, including videos of their national championship run. Good size, at least in that year, but they look awfully white and slow.

What's the deal with that? Can't Billiter recruit African American kids? Football team isn't all pasty white so I can't think that it's the culture of the school. Is TB a coach that can't recruit nationally?
                              White men can’t Jump, one of Haroldsen best performance ever. Oh I think Billater has been able win with local talent in NCIS. That will change with the move to D1. I think SDSU had the BYU look until TJ came along. Getting good African American athletes to come to predominant white communities is still an uphill battle. David Jenkins Junior as an example.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 05-11-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                White men can’t Jump, one of Haroldsen best performance ever. Oh I think Billater has been able win with local talent in NCIS. That will change with the move to D1. I think SDSU had the BYU look until TJ came along. Getting good African American athletes to come to predominant white communities is still an uphill battle. David Jenkins Junior as an example.
                                Actually credit belongs to Nagy recruiting Parks and Marshall which begot Tevon King, three of my favorite Jacks players ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X