Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    I suggest you go back and take a look at SDSU's historical attendance figures. We used to also get the Fri/Sat doubleheaders in D2. We had years, in Brookings double the average attendance you are showing today. The SL does not do Fri/Sat doubleheaders. Your attendance in the Summit will fall, especially during the transition, bank on it.
    Fair point. Looks like the SDSU men averaged 3,266 in '03-04 and 3,492 in '02-03. Theres no doubt those numbers have been impacted by a less friendly schedule of games. In my mind thats another reason the Summit should revisit double headers.Do you know what sort of impact the D1 move had on basketball season ticket sales? Obviously the big market games will draw well but if Augie fans come out to see Bemidji/Crookston/ UIU now I'm sure a decent amount of them will come watch CSU-Bakersfield, NJIT, Savannah St etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      If they keep football...
      Football will be around.

Comment

Looks like Augie will be in the NSIC through 2020-21 per this story. As a mens basketball fan that is ideal timing.

https://twitter.com/ArgusSports/stat...075081731?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          Looks like Augie will be in the NSIC through 2020-21 per this story. As a mens basketball fan that is ideal timing.

https://twitter.com/ArgusSports/stat...075081731?s=19
          OK can we please stop the Augie talk for the rest of the day. I like Augie and I have a granddaughter that is playing for them but our focus should be on beating the team from Fargo. We can then talk Augie until we play in Frisco in January. Thank you

Comment

Side note: Half the 2019 home Summit games will be a part of a Saturday doubleheader. It will be time to put up or shut up about that particular issue affecting attendance.

Comment

If I'm SDSU/USD, I say "okay, Sanford/Krabbenhof/whoever, whatever donations you make to Augustana to facilitate their move to D-I, you match that with equal donations to our institution, above and beyond what you've given and pledged to give to us until now."

If they're hell-bent on doing this, I see no reason why SDSU and USD presidents' yea vote in the Summit League shouldn't come with a price tag attached.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                If I'm SDSU/USD, I say "okay, Sanford/Krabbenhof/whoever, whatever donations you make to Augustana to facilitate their move to D-I, you match that with equal donations to our institution, above and beyond what you've given and pledged to give to us until now."

If they're hell-bent on doing this, I see no reason why SDSU and USD presidents' yea vote in the Summit League shouldn't come with a price tag attached.
                Look at Filbert play some hardball!

Comment

That would be in the best interests of SDSU/USD/NDSU so they should absolutely try it, I doubt it works but I see the logic from your point of view. Either way I highly doubt Augie would make this announcement without a pretty good indication of how the vote would go.

Of the conference member defections you mentioned earlier all of them are possible, but how many of them are actually plausible? The Horizon has 10 and just let in IUPUI without IPFW attached so I dont see that happening. OVC has 12 members which is a perfect # for mid-major conferences so I doubt theyre adding IPFW or WIU unless they came as a package deal or an existing school left. Oral Roberts left the Southland 4 years ago so unless theyve had severe seller's remorse that seems unlikely. The WAC appears to be a much worse league than the Summit so I doubt Denver is too tempted to make that their new home.

I get why SDSU fans wouldnt want Augie given how bad they were in the NCC days but that was a lifetime ago and adding another school committed to competing in D1 athletics, which I believe Augie is and Im glad to take the ridicule if you disagree, within the conference's geographic footprint seems to make a lot of sense for everyone involved.

Comment

Augie is smaller than any of the three public high schools in Sioux Falls. It will never win over the fan base of Sioux Falls. All it's got going for it is the support of Sanford Health's CEO and maybe a couple other wealthy donors, which admittedly is big. Augie also has enjoyed a lot of positive speculation and support from the Sioux Falls media, which to this point hasn't ask many tough questions. Poor USF. It probably should start a rumor that it's considering D-1, too, so the media stops talking incessantly about Augie.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Augie is smaller than any of the three public high schools in Sioux Falls. It will never win over the fan base of Sioux Falls. All it's got going for it is the support of Sanford Health's CEO and maybe a couple other wealthy donors, which admittedly is big. Augie also has enjoyed a lot of positive speculation and support from the Sioux Falls media, which to this point hasn't ask many tough questions. Poor USF. It probably should start a rumor that it's considering D-1, too, so the media stops talking incessantly about Augie.
                      Augie will be fine. They have the population to draw from,enrollment numbers don't matter. If SF adopts them as their team they are good to go. Their biggest challenge may be in facilities or lack there of.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                        That would be in the best interests of SDSU/USD/NDSU so they should absolutely try it, I doubt it works but I see the logic from your point of view. Either way I highly doubt Augie would make this announcement without a pretty good indication of how the vote would go.

Of the conference member defections you mentioned earlier all of them are possible, but how many of them are actually plausible? The Horizon has 10 and just let in IUPUI without IPFW attached so I dont see that happening. OVC has 12 members which is a perfect # for mid-major conferences so I doubt theyre adding IPFW or WIU unless they came as a package deal or an existing school left. Oral Roberts left the Southland 4 years ago so unless theyve had severe seller's remorse that seems unlikely. The WAC appears to be a much worse league than the Summit so I doubt Denver is too tempted to make that their new home.

I get why SDSU fans wouldnt want Augie given how bad they were in the NCC days but that was a lifetime ago and adding another school committed to competing in D1 athletics, which I believe Augie is and Im glad to take the ridicule if you disagree, within the conference's geographic footprint seems to make a lot of sense for everyone involved.
                        I may be mistaken but I believe that the Summit League requires a unanimous vote of existing members to admit a new member so no, what I've proposed would absolutely work. I sure it could be put more delicately and diplomatically than I expressed it, but as an SDSU alum I would be adamant in communications with SDSU administration officials that if there's millions of dollars of donation money behind an Augie move to D-I that SDSU gets a significant piece of that action above and beyond what those donors might have previously donated to SDSU.

Welcome to Division I. It ain't for the faint of heart.

And I said Denver would try to get into the West Coast Conference (Gonzaga) not the WAC. At least that's what the Denver people I know have expressed to me. The WCC was Denver's first choice for a conference to go to after they left the WAC--the Summit League was Plan B for Denver.

ORU is struggling mightily right now, and the ORU people I know have said they loathe the trips north to the Dakotas for basketball and the SL Tournament. WIU is also struggling mightily, mainly due to the state of Illinois' continuing financial implosion. Beyond the current Augie discussion I worry a bit about if WIU will be able to stay in D-I.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I wish people would wake up and realize the size of the enrollment is irrelevant to the number of people you get to a sporting event. I believe Augie has a strong local following and will build on that. All those SDSU and USD supporters who live in the Sioux Falls market who refuse to drive 50 miles north or south, but show up at Summit League tournament will help add attendence at the old Arena for home Augie games against the State schools.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            I wish people would wake up and realize the size of the enrollment is irrelevant to the number of people you get to a sporting event. I believe Augie has a strong local following and will build on that. All those SDSU and USD supporters who live in the Sioux Falls market who refuse to drive 50 miles north or south, but show up at Summit League tournament will help add attendence at the old Arena for home Augie games against the State schools.
                            Yes your point about enrollment is well taken. I think Augie has more of a Creighton vision which is possible with adequate staff and hard work.

Comment

I may be mistaken but I believe that the Summit League requires a unanimous vote of existing members to admit a new member so no, what I've proposed would absolutely work. I sure it could be put more delicately and diplomatically than I expressed it, but as an SDSU alum I would be adamant in communications with SDSU administration officials that if there's millions of dollars of donation money behind an Augie move to D-I that SDSU gets a significant piece of that action above and beyond what those donors might have previously donated to SDSU.

Welcome to Division I. It ain't for the faint of heart.

And I said Denver would try to get into the West Coast Conference (Gonzaga) not the WAC. At least that's what the Denver people I know have expressed to me. The WCC was Denver's first choice for a conference to go to after they left the WAC--the Summit League was Plan B for Denver.

ORU is struggling mightily right now, and the ORU people I know have said they loathe the trips north to the Dakotas for basketball and the SL Tournament. WIU is also struggling mightily, mainly due to the state of Illinois' continuing financial implosion. Beyond the current Augie discussion I worry a bit about if WIU will be able to stay in D-I.
                              As I said earlier you're well within your duties as an SDSU booster to share these feelings with your administrators. I'm sure people such as former Augie Ast AD Jeff Holm would gladly here you out. I'm not expecting a D1 transition to be fair or easy but since we're talking in hypotheticals, what would stop a corporate donor like Kelby, a man who has negotiated billion dollar mergers, from flipping the script on SDSU and pulling or reducing their donations and giving it to Augie unless they voted Augie into the Summit?

I truly understand why SDSU fans dont like this, Augie sucked in the NCC across the board, the fear of increased competition for SF money/attention, change in general, etc. However I still believe the most likely scenario is Augie receiving a Summit invite with little drama.

I didnt realize the WCC was on the table for DU, that would be far more enticing than the Summit. Has the WCC reciprocated any of that interest? WIU is in such a remote location I'm surprised theyve made it this far so I see why that sows doubt.
                              Last edited by Augieholic; 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

consider this.

if this were to have taken place 10 years ago.

We'd have seen Wolters at Augie.

Nagy would still be here. Daum likely would not be (no Nate)

how many times do we get to the dance considering the above?

Is the Augie move good for us?

read that till it sinks in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X