Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    Besides the machine that is the SLT, average basketball attendance at Augie is on par or better than SDSU, NDSU, USD, and UND. Now you add the more casual SDSU/USD/NDSU fans living in SF that wont/dont travel to Brookings/Verm/Fargo and you've furthered the brand of all schools.

For reference Avg home mens basketball attendance in '17-18:
    AUGIE - 2,422
    SDSU - 2,292
    USD - 2,269
    NDSU - 2,757
    UND - 1,865
    What is Augie's average ticket price ? And do you think having single middle-of- week games as opposed to Friday?Saturday doubleheaders would affect your attendance ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      What is Augie's average ticket price ? And do you think having single middle-of- week games as opposed to Friday?Saturday doubleheaders would affect your attendance ?
      Conference doubleheaders at the Arena are $15-20. Middle of the week games will obviously lower the number of people in seats but Augie has a pretty solid season ticket holder base and that is only going to grow by adding games vs USD/ SDSU/NDSU/UND and subtracting games vs Crookston/Wayne/Upper Iowa/Minot. As Zim alluded to on twitter yesterday, maybe adding Augie pushes the Summit to more doubleheaders. In my mind that benefits everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        I have a very hard time believing Augie would announce this if they did not already have an unofficial agreement with the Summit League. Some of you guys better brace yourselves for the announcement.

I see the risks (especially the one about limited sponsorship dollars) but also see a school that actually wants to be in the SL, has baseball, will likely go all-in on basketball, added local interest in the SL, and two more chances each year to watch the Jacks in Sioux Falls.
        I have no doubt that there have been "discussions," especially with the league offices now in Sioux Falls.

I just don't understand the net benefit to the Summit League as a whole. It is possible I could be mistaken about the negative effect of pulling Augie up to D-I on the non-Dakota schools, in which case many of my non-yellow-and-blue-glasses objections are minimized. I don't think I am, though.

I would like to understand, I truly would.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The positives of Augie boils down to “another warm body for the conference”. That could change if they become the third decent b-ball program, but that’s going to be tougher than they think. Now you’re recruiting against the big boys, not against DII MN schools. You’re recruiting against SDSU, USeD, ndsu, und, UNI, UNO, and even MN and Nebraska. It’s one thing to win in DII with the cast offs and leftovers, it’s a whole different ball game when you’re at the same level as those schools. Especially when you have to try to build through that 5 year transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            The positives of Augie boils down to “another warm body for the conference”. That could change if they become the third decent b-ball program, but that’s going to be tougher than they think. Now you’re recruiting against the big boys, not against DII MN schools. You’re recruiting against SDSU, USeD, ndsu, und, UNI, UNO, and even MN and Nebraska. It’s one thing to win in DII with the cast offs and leftovers, it’s a whole different ball game when you’re at the same level as those schools. Especially when you have to try to build through that 5 year transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            And by the time their transition is over the other 4 Dakota schools will have 15-20 year head start on them.

With that said, they will be more successful than people think, especially in basketball. People said we couldn't do it either and we blew away expectations. They will be fine, especially if they find some deep pockets in SF which I think they will.

Comment

Conference doubleheaders at the Arena are $15-20. Middle of the week games will obviously lower the number of people in seats but Augie has a pretty solid season ticket holder base and that is only going to grow by adding games vs USD/ SDSU/NDSU/UND and subtracting games vs Crookston/Wayne/Upper Iowa/Minot. As Zim alluded to on twitter yesterday, maybe adding Augie pushes the Summit to more doubleheaders. In my mind that benefits everyone.
              It will be interesting to see.
              I went to an Augie football game 2 years ago and it cost $8 to get into the game. The program was $2.
              At SDSU, the game cost at least $30 and the programs are $5.
              Will they jack up their prices and how much will they charge?
              Will playing SDSU/NDSU/USD/UND cancel out the extra cost? After Augie plays about 5 or 6 teams around here how many fans will show up when the play Cal State Bakersfield compared to the other NSIC teams that are fairly regional? You can just live off the attendance of a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                It will be interesting to see.
                I went to an Augie football game 2 years ago and it cost $8 to get into the game. The program was $2.
                At SDSU, the game cost at least $30 and the programs are $5.
                Will they jack up their prices and how much will they charge?
                Will playing SDSU/NDSU/USD/UND cancel out the extra cost? After Augie plays about 5 or 6 teams around here how many fans will show up when the play Cal State Bakersfield compared to the other NSIC teams that are fairly regional? You can just live off the attendance of a few games.
                this shows the outdated marketing of tickets, programs and concessions. This will have to be quickly upgraded if Augie should play big boy sports.

Comment

The winners in an Augie D-1 move-up will be Augie, Sanford Health and the Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce. The losers will be everyone else, especially the XDSUs and the XSDs.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

I'll admit being a little skeptical that the announcement came without a conference invite but going this far without having serious "unofficial" talks about conferences and $$$$ seems highly unlikely. Also the track thing was a debacle but raising money for non-revenue sports is always tough. Football to the Pioneer is the most logical and likely scenario.

What does the Summit gain by adding Augie??

Sioux Falls and all the infrastructure, population, and money that comes with it.
                    Summit already owns SF through SDSU, USD and NDSU. But hey, we get access to that awesome new 300 meter outdoor track .

Comment

I suggest you go back and take a look at SDSU's historical attendance figures. We used to also get the Fri/Sat doubleheaders in D2. We had years, in Brookings double the average attendance you are showing today. The SL does not do Fri/Sat doubleheaders. Your attendance in the Summit will fall, especially during the transition, bank on it.

Besides the machine that is the SLT, average basketball attendance at Augie is on par or better than SDSU, NDSU, USD, and UND. Now you add the more casual SDSU/USD/NDSU fans living in SF that wont/dont travel to Brookings/Verm/Fargo and you've furthered the brand of all schools.

For reference Avg home mens basketball attendance in '17-18:
                      AUGIE - 2,422
                      SDSU - 2,292
                      USD - 2,269
                      NDSU - 2,757
                      UND - 1,865

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        It’s comical how much Zimmer is defending this.
                        I like Matt but he is part of the SF media that have been pushing this for a long long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                          I like Matt but he is part of the SF media that have been pushing this for a long long time.
                          I don't think Matt has been "pushing" it perse'...I actually find him to be quite impartial about it. Like it or not it's happening and I think it's probably more driven from a corporate side, primarily Sanford. I will agree with Matt in the fact that Augie moving up won't really affect SDSU's status, financials or recuiting. As long as our Coaches keep the same philosophy we should always win the big talent in SD unless it's P5 talent, I doubt we lose the recruiting battle with Augie, we haven't lost it with USeD, occasionally with the bison in FB.Anyhoo...best to accept the fact and embrace the new sacrifcial lambs...I'm hopeful of some FB games every other year or so maybe a H,H,A with the away being played at Howard Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                            I'm hopeful of some FB games every other year or so maybe a H,H,A with the away being played at Howard Wood.
                            If they keep football...

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              And by the time their transition is over the other 4 Dakota schools will have 15-20 year head start on them.

With that said, they will be more successful than people think, especially in basketball. People said we couldn't do it either and we blew away expectations. They will be fine, especially if they find some deep pockets in SF which I think they will.
                              The women did make the transition with very few problems. The men were a different story. If the transition hell that they went through had lasted another season or two, Nagy could very well have lost his job. That sometimes gets forgotten with the success the program has had recently.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                The women did make the transition with very few problems. The men were a different story. If the transition hell that they went through had lasted another season or two, Nagy could very well have lost his job. That sometimes gets forgotten with the success the program has had recently.
                                We also had 3 or 4 fairly talented underclassmen leave during that legal issue during the transition, so I'm not sure our men's basketball transition is the greatest comparison. That scandal set us back a few years IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X