Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TX Tech Women's BB Coach

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I understand the need to want to hire a women in those sports, but at the same time you want to hire the best candidate possible. wonder how much interest they would have in AJ. I would think he would make the short list at least.
    Unfortunately not the way it always works. As mentioned above, the political climate (and other factors) in an area can create instances where people are hired for reasons other than ability.

Comment

politics can make it so one candidate is more popular than another. But only so much ground can be made up for that reason.

As for AJ to Minnesota, he might be interested, they might be interested, if the job even opens up.

The thing with AJ is if you say no too many times, they quit calling.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        I will never forget about Candy Whittaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        You and me, both. She was my favorite coach on the opposing sidelines (for reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          You and me, both. She was my favorite coach on the opposing sidelines (for reasons).
          AJ should hire her as an assistant...to foster fan relations :-)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            politics can make it so one candidate is more popular than another. But only so much ground can be made up for that reason.

As for AJ to Minnesota, he might be interested, they might be interested, if the job even opens up.

Or maybe they offer more money ,that's a possibility too.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

If you keep producing great results the phone will keep ringing. He has earned right to be selective.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                If you keep producing great results the phone will keep ringing. He has earned right to be selective.
                I think that AJ needs to have that "big win" on his resume. Maybe that is a trip to the Sweet 16...or a victory over a Louisville/Notre Dame at home. I think that there are a lot of P5 programs that see he is a talented coach, but want to see him beat up on more than the Summit League.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  I think that AJ needs to have that "big win" on his resume. Maybe that is a trip to the Sweet 16...or a victory over a Louisville/Notre Dame at home. I think that there are a lot of P5 programs that see he is a talented coach, but want to see him beat up on more than the Summit League.
                  Shoot, how many ACC teams can pull that off. But ya, that'd really open a few more doors for sure.

Comment

AJ is easily in the 25 coaches in the country. What would have to happen to the program to get us to start the "Fire AJ" thread? It's going to take a perfect situation to get him away from the job security and small town atmosphere he has here. The twitters say he turned down 6 years at 600k a year from Texas tech. He's obviously not driven by money. That said, I have to imagine he would consider Minnesota more strongly than TT if they came calling. His recruiting base wouldn't change, move back to home state, not a long distance move etc. But Minnesota taxes suck and it's a more expensive area too.

Supposedly Stollings is taking TT so we will have our answers soon. They really may not even talk to AJ, given that he's a straight white male. Minnesota doesn't have a minority head coach. My money is on a minority female, not AJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                      AJ is easily in the 25 coaches in the country. What would have to happen to the program to get us to start the "Fire AJ" thread? It's going to take a perfect situation to get him away from the job security and small town atmosphere he has here. The twitters say he turned down 6 years at 600k a year from Texas tech. He's obviously not driven by money. That said, I have to imagine he would consider Minnesota more strongly than TT if they came calling. His recruiting base wouldn't change, move back to home state, not a long distance move etc. But Minnesota taxes suck and it's a more expensive area too.

Supposedly Stollings is taking TT so we will have our answers soon. They really may not even talk to AJ, given that he's a straight white male. Minnesota doesn't have a minority head coach. My money is on a minority female, not AJ.
                      AJ certainly has good recruiting contacts in Minnesota. But there have been a few elite recruits that have been leaving Minnesota every year for top programs around the country that he would be expected to compete for, that have been ranked higher than the MN players that have come to SDSU over the years. Not that our MN players haven't made great contributions here, but with the Gophers he would be expected to compete for national in-state recruits like Paige Bueckers, a soph. PG that Geno A. has been recruiting for UConn for two years. And he may well be able to do that, but it would be a much bigger challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post

Me too, one thing you can count on without fail is liberals being liberals.They will discriminate, when it suits their ideology.Is this too political,hope not,it's just my opinion based on observation.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          AJ certainly has good recruiting contacts in Minnesota. But there have been a few elite recruits that have been leaving Minnesota every year for top programs around the country that he would be expected to compete for, that have been ranked higher than the MN players that have come to SDSU over the years. Not that our MN players haven't made great contributions here, but with the Gophers he would be expected to compete for national in-state recruits like Paige Bueckers, a soph. PG that Geno A. has been recruiting for UConn for two years. And he may well be able to do that, but it would be a much bigger challenge.
                          AJ and his coaching staff have a very good eye for talented players,regardless of how they were ranked in Minn, and they've proven to be able to coach up players that need some of that too, glad we've kept all the major coaching positions in tact all these years.We have been very fortunate,very grateful for that.

I think, I might be biased, but some of the players we've recruited from Minn are actually better than some of the ones that were higher ranked in Minn at the same time. I tend to follow those that got away so to speak, and a lot of them have unspectacular playing careers at their chosen destinations.The ranking system in Minn has it's flaws too.This is where a good eye for talent out trumps a particular ranking that player has achieved.AJ recruits players that mesh well together and fit his style of play,he does very good IMHO.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-07-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Best of luck to Marlene Stollings at Texas Tech, hope she's seen the movie " The Martian " starring Matt Damon , she needs all the help she can get on how to get something constructive out of a total pile of crap program that is Texas Tech WBB. Total rebuild job, but it should give her more time ,she'll need it.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-07-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Me too, one thing you can count on without fail is liberals being liberals.They will discriminate, when it suits their ideology.Is this too political,hope not,it's just my opinion based on observation.
                              Yes, the political commentary is not welcome. Rest assured many will be tempted to challenge your comments with an equal amount of support (that is, their opinion based on their observation) for their opposing view...and then we're off and running in the ditch. Many sites available for politics...go there.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Yes, the political commentary is not welcome. Rest assured many will be tempted to challenge your comments with an equal amount of support (that is, their opinion based on their observation) for their opposing view...and then we're off and running in the ditch. Many sites available for politics...go there.
                                Fair enough, I like the borard being non-political, if I crossed that line ,I'm sorry to have offended anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X