Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TX Tech Women's BB Coach

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanhyatt...55595584815104

Starts talking about the search at around 2:45 mark (I think)

Comment

For your consideration, she is good friends with TJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Whitaker's salary at Texas Tech was a base of $300,000 per year starting 2016, with additional "rights fee" of $125,000 outside of her athletics salary. There are increases for the final three years of her contract (2017-20). http://www.lubbockonline.com/article...ORTS/312099897

Oh, and Lubbock has the Buddy Holly museum, so there's that. You can drive your Chevy to the levy but the levy is dry (with apologies to Don McLean)

So, the Buddy Holly benefits aside, I'm guessing we can give AJ a raise that may be enough to keep him in Brookings a little longer.

2002Jack...that's not a pic of Whitaker...who's in that picture?

Comment

That’s Brittany Lange from UNO, she is good friends and played ball with TJ’s wife. I like her and Candi.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Whitaker's salary at Texas Tech was a base of $300,000 per year starting 2016, with additional "rights fee" of $125,000 outside of her athletics salary. There are increases for the final three years of her contract (2017-20). http://www.lubbockonline.com/article...ORTS/312099897

Oh, and Lubbock has the Buddy Holly museum, so there's that. You can drive your Chevy to the levy but the levy is dry (with apologies to Don McLean)

So, the Buddy Holly benefits aside, I'm guessing we can give AJ a raise that may be enough to keep him in Brookings a little longer.

2002Jack...that's not a pic of Whitaker...who's in that picture?
            I think you know who that is.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Hard eye roll.
              Hell my eyes almost got stuck in the back of my head at that one.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                I think you know who that is.

I will have to pay better attention to the sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  That’s Brittany Lange from UNO, she is good friends and played ball with TJ’s wife. I like her and Candi.

We all do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                    do you want a coach looking for greener pastures? AJ can be replaced.
                    If you had a 6 figure raise waved in your face, you'd be wondering if there are greener pastures as well. Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Comment

If you had a 6 figure raise waved in your face, you'd be wondering if there are greener pastures as well. Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.
                      Are you a AJ sycophant or what? I realize how the damn world works. All I am saying is I would rather have a coach who is 100% happy to be at SDSU versus one who is out shopping around for a better opportunity. I fail to see how that is such a controversial opinion? Have a good day.

Comment

According to this AJ turned Texas Tech down but I'm not gonna be 100% comfortable until they hire someone. They might make another run at him since the UA-LR guy seems to have turned them down as well.

https://theraiderland.com/texas-tech...ng-who-is-out/

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                          Are you a AJ sycophant or what? I realize how the damn world works. All I am saying is I would rather have a coach who is 100% happy to be at SDSU versus one who is out shopping around for a better opportunity. I fail to see how that is such a controversial opinion? Have a good day.
                          Just a realist, that's all. It's stupid to think that coaches should have this undying loyalty toward a program when they know that they're only a couple bad seasons from being canned. I don't blame them at all for looking out for their own best interests. Coaching is a very volatile career choice. Get the money while you can. I hope he stays obviously, but if he's a hot commodity and places like Texas Tech are calling, we better be willing to match their pay if we want to keep him rather than saying "good riddance".

Comment

Something I often think about as it relates to coaching...

For a coach who wants to establish a legacy, SDSU women's basketball is a phenomenal place to be.

He has been the women's coach at SDSU for 18 years.

His current record is 441-149. If he can maintain that pace for the next 18 years his record would be 882-298. There are 9 coaches in the history of college basketball with more wins.

If he loves coaching and wants to continue, he could probably go another 12 years (maybe more if his health and drive hold out). If AJ coached at that pace for a 48 year coaching career, he could have a career coaching record around 1,176-397. That would give him more wins than Pat Summit (1098-208).

Obviously, that is best case scenario. Maybe he doesn't want to coach for another 18 years much less 30.

While the pay and prestige might be better going to a place like Texas Tech, he will very likely never reach anywhere close to those career numbers. At SDSU, he has an opportunity to do something special. At a school like TT he has an opportunity to cash a bigger check. There are lots of jobs every single year that offer more money. There are very, very, very few that offer an opportunity to become a top 10 legend in the history of your profession.

Maybe that's a weird perspective, but AJ is one of very few current coaches who could do it if he wanted to.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Just a realist, that's all. It's stupid to think that coaches should have this undying loyalty toward a program when they know that they're only a couple bad seasons from being canned. I don't blame them at all for looking out for their own best interests. Coaching is a very volatile career choice. Get the money while you can. I hope he stays obviously, but if he's a hot commodity and places like Texas Tech are calling, we better be willing to match their pay if we want to keep him rather than saying "good riddance".
                              Every year this coaching thing makes me realize how Stupid the NCAA looks for (effectively) punishing kids when they transfer add the 1 and done rule in MBB and it's a borderline legitimate anti-trust argument.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                Every year this coaching thing makes me realize how Stupid the NCAA looks for (effectively) punishing kids when they transfer add the 1 and done rule in MBB and it's a borderline legitimate anti-trust argument.
                                Completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X